Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat's J-Lo Commercial "Faked"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 07:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure the production company shot the closeups in LA because they would have to be made on a closed set rather than on the street. The costs for closing a major street in NYC, not to mention the crowd control issues would have made a genuine location shoot impractical.

Were the truth known, Jenny owns a Maybach. I suppose the tiny Fiat could be strapped across the boot as a lifeboat.
Old 11-24-11, 10:08 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
and Derek Jeter drives a Ford Edge,Tiger Buicks etc.
Well it has been proved conclusively that Tiger was driving a General Motors product, an Escalade, when Elin Nordigan decided to try and play a 2 iron off Tigers head (the big one, not sure she cared about the other one at that point). Does that make it more legitimate advertising?
Old 11-24-11, 10:24 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol that was lame
Old 11-25-11, 08:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not only was it faked, the one they used with the stand in broke down, lol

With a Jennifer Lopez lookalike seated behind the wheel, a Fiat 500 actually broke down on a Bronx street during the recent filming of a TV commercial purportedly showing the actress driving around the borough in which she grew up.

As seen above (click to enlarge), the Fiat came to a halt during filming in September on East 136th Street in Mott Haven. While two men tinkered with the engine, the J. Lo stand-in sat patiently at the wheel, her face obscured by honey-colored hair styled just like Lopez’s.

The embarrassing breakdown of the sporty Fiat was spotted by journalist Ed Morales, who lives on the Mott Haven block where the commercial was filmed. Morales (with whom the entire TSG staff once worked at The Village Voice) blogged about the Fiat shoot last month, noting that “the protagonist was a woman in a white blouse with streaked, perfectly blown-out straight hair.”

Morales, who thought the woman resembled the actress Jennifer Espositio, only learned that it was supposed to be Lopez when he saw the Fiat 500 commercial, which began airing in mid-October.

The children seen in the photo’s background also appear in the Fiat commercial, which shows them chasing the vehicle down the street (presumably because the prodigal Jenny had returned to the Block).

Old 11-25-11, 07:25 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default mugged?

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not only was it faked, the one they used with the stand in broke down, lol

And after breaking down, the producers got abruptly mugged. The crooks made off with $1.95 in cash and another $2.25 in cheap costume jewelry from the Jlo standin.

Come on people... did people really think Jlo was driving around "the block" in a stinkin' Fiat? She probably hasn't returned to the Bronx since she was a Fly Girl in In Living Color dayz.

I heard Chrysler/Fiat was next going to hire Stevie Wonder to drive around a race track to show that anyone can drive the car because it's so smooth and drives itself, but after this, they decided to change course and hire Vanilla Ice to drive it around his hood...
Old 11-25-11, 11:33 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tony, izzat you??
Old 11-26-11, 01:32 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Good to see Fiat trying really hard to live up to their name. Tony will be here any minute now.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 11-26-11 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-26-11, 02:10 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They didn't say filmed on location now did they? It's the message guys, THE MESSAGE!!!
Old 11-26-11, 03:47 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

More pics/vids of Jlo and her look alike
Old 11-26-11, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
People take T.V. too seriously...
Agreed.......especially considering the intelligence-insults that are often shown on TV these days.
Old 11-26-11, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I heard Chrysler/Fiat was next going to hire Stevie Wonder to drive around a race track to show that anyone can drive the car because it's so smooth and drives itself, but after this, they decided to change course and hire Vanilla Ice to drive it around his hood...
If the Fiat marketers were smart, they'd forget celebrities and simply say "This isn't the 1980s anymore...go check the car out and see for yourself".

That worked for Hyundai and Kia, after their troubled pasts. I don't see why it wouldn't work for Fiat.
Old 11-26-11, 05:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I still haven't seen a Fiat driving on the streets yet. I'm sure if J-Lo was really driving through the Bronx, people would definitely buy it.
Old 11-26-11, 05:48 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lil4X
“Jenny from the Block” appears in a Fiat commercial entitled "My World" in which she appears to be driving a Fiat 500 Cabrio through the Bronx. Upon closer inspection of the commercial, wherever she appears in a recognizable closeup, the view of the street is definitely not the Bronx, but LA. The Doner Agency that produced the spot perpetrated the hoax as the singer tools from Manhattan to the Bronx to "revisit" her old hometown - but did it with a look-alike actress at the wheel. Shots of J-Lo were filmed in LA and intercut with the Bronx footage to make it appear she is actually driving through the mean streets of America's poorest city.

Ms. Lopez, appearing on the audio track, intones “This is my world. This place inspires me.”

ORLY?

Since when is the Bronx the poorest city in America?
Old 11-27-11, 12:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Getrag
Since when is the Bronx the poorest city in America?
Nor is it a city, lol
Old 11-27-11, 10:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This kind of stuff happens all of the time. I have a buddy who owns a company that does scouting for commercials and movies and he says they do this all of the time