Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat's J-Lo Commercial "Faked"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 04:03 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fiat's J-Lo Commercial "Faked"

“Jenny from the Block” appears in a Fiat commercial entitled "My World" in which she appears to be driving a Fiat 500 Cabrio through the Bronx. Upon closer inspection of the commercial, wherever she appears in a recognizable closeup, the view of the street is definitely not the Bronx, but LA. The Doner Agency that produced the spot perpetrated the hoax as the singer tools from Manhattan to the Bronx to "revisit" her old hometown - but did it with a look-alike actress at the wheel. Shots of J-Lo were filmed in LA and intercut with the Bronx footage to make it appear she is actually driving through the mean streets of America's poorest city.

Ms. Lopez, appearing on the audio track, intones “This is my world. This place inspires me.”

ORLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhX4...tailpage#t=12s

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...fiat-ad-564812
Old 11-23-11, 04:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People take T.V. too seriously...

EVERYTHING ON T.V. IS FAKE!!!
Old 11-23-11, 04:32 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
People take T.V. too seriously...

EVERYTHING ON T.V. IS FAKE!!!
LOLOLOLOL too funny!!
Old 11-23-11, 04:34 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

like how chrysler is built in...canada
Old 11-23-11, 05:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously i don't know what the big deal about this. so much tv stuff these days are completely computer work anyway

but then again, i guess fiat has even more stuff to work on now
Old 11-23-11, 07:33 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
seriously i don't know what the big deal about this. so much tv stuff these days are completely computer work anyway

I said this in another thread about the marketing campaign not seeming authentic, and I had no idea about this. After several discussions on launching brands lately and the 500 being one of the topics, I feel anyway that it was a poorly executed platform \ campaign. They went the same route you do when bringing a new fragrance to market, this is a new car \ brand in the states!

On the surface stuff like this isn’t a big deal, but the commercial was designed to touch a certain group of people playing on jlo’s own history, and here she wasn’t even being “real”. Anything I learned with the hard way by wasting money or doing well with a marketing push, people often see through marketing ploys and when you bring weak crap like this you get what you get.

They should have went back to the creative team and said come up with something better, rather than throwing a has-been celebrity on the screen and calling it brand depth.
Old 11-23-11, 07:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I saw my first one on the road today in Charlotte; I'll admit to looking to see if JLo was driving.

She wasn't. I stopped looking.
Old 11-23-11, 08:40 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt recognize any of those spots in the commercial lol.

I guess everyone usually focuses on the ghetto parts of the bx only -___-
Old 11-23-11, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
I said this in another thread about the marketing campaign not seeming authentic, and I had no idea about this. After several discussions on launching brands lately and the 500 being one of the topics, I feel anyway that it was a poorly executed platform \ campaign. They went the same route you do when bringing a new fragrance to market, this is a new car \ brand in the states!

On the surface stuff like this isn’t a big deal, but the commercial was designed to touch a certain group of people playing on jlo’s own history, and here she wasn’t even being “real”. Anything I learned with the hard way by wasting money or doing well with a marketing push, people often see through marketing ploys and when you bring weak crap like this you get what you get.

They should have went back to the creative team and said come up with something better, rather than throwing a has-been celebrity on the screen and calling it brand depth.
absolutely agreed with you, it's careless on the production team on doing the background right. i guess my point was it comes no surprising that it wasn't shot in bronz, i would never expect that to be the case. but at the same time i expected production team to make it more "real"
Old 11-23-11, 11:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Nobody would've cared if some bored hollywood tabloid writer didn't bother to try and dig this crap up.

Seriously, this is the last thing that worries me as a car buyer.
Old 11-24-11, 12:16 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I see this as a complete non-story and a waste of ink. The author is merely pointing out what happens all the time in TV, movies and commercials. Body doubles, locations set on back lots, green screen. Someone will be telling me that Superman doesn't really fly next and they use wires.

My wife has a 500C and since that J-Lo commercial came out she has been a nightmare. Now all she does is pull onto the drive and sound her horn until she's lifted out through the roof.

I've ordered a hoist.
Old 11-24-11, 03:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

i dont either... it is paid for commercial... who cares how they actually filmed it.
Old 11-24-11, 03:43 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My uncle had a feeling it was fake. He was like she ain't Jenny from the Block so why the hell would she do this commercial and she would never be caught dead in a Fiat 500.
Old 11-24-11, 03:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't blame her.
Old 11-24-11, 04:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

and Derek Jeter drives a Ford Edge,Tiger Buicks etc.

I still liked looking at her even in the California part.

Quick Reply: Fiat's J-Lo Commercial "Faked"