Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid Cars Safer in Crashes, Insurer's Study

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 07:18 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Hybrid Cars Safer in Crashes, Insurer's Study

Hybrid vehicles are 25 percent safer for their occupants than conventional fuel models but are more hazardous for pedestrians, according to a study from an insurance institute released on Thursday.
Hybrids, which rely on electric and internal combustion motors, have a safety edge in collisions because their batteries make them 10 percent heavier on average than their standard counterparts, according to the report from the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI).

"This extra mass gives them an advantage in crashes that their conventional twins don't have," Matt Moore, an HLDI vice president and an author of the report, said in a statement on the study.
On average, the odds of being injured in a crash are 25 percent lower for people in hybrids than people riding in non-hybrid models.

In the study, HLDI estimated the odds that a crash would result in injuries if people were riding in a hybrid versus the conventional version of the same vehicle.

The analysis included more than 25 hybrid-conventional vehicle pairs, all of them 2003-2011 models, with at least one collision claim and at least one related injury claim filed from 2002 to 2010.

In a separate analysis, HLDI said hybrids may be as much as 20 percent more likely to be involved in pedestrian crashes with injuries than their standard twins.

The reason for the increased likelihood of crashes is that when hybrids are operating in electric-only mode pedestrians cannot hear them coming, Moore said.
Congress this year gave the Highway Traffic Safety Administration three years to come up with a requirement for equipping hybrids and electric models with sounds to alert unsuspecting pedestrians.
HLDI is an affiliate of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in Arlington, Virginia.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...#ixzz1exyFixXy
Good news for Hybrid owners like ourselves Bad news for those that hate hybrids.
Attached Thumbnails Hybrid Cars Safer in Crashes, Insurer's Study-1sick2.jpg  

Old 11-27-11, 11:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For decades it was said smaller cars could be just as safe as larger, heavier cars. Now, after all that, they are finally saying what I've thought to be most logical all along. The car that weighs more is going to cause more impact to the car it hits. It's simple mass vs. mass. Since hybrids weigh more, they can be safer when hitting a smaller car.
However, there's a caveat. If a larger car hits a wall, there's more mass and weight forces, causing more deformation and cabin intrusion, but all at a slower stop rate (more force and material to deform takes longer to happen). Opposite for the light car hitting a wall. Less mass pushing into the wall would equate less deformation, but the decceleration rate would be faster, in turn causing more human injury (neck, etc). The burning question is, what causes more human injury: The decceleration rate, or higher forces with more deformation and cabin intrusion?
Old 11-28-11, 05:01 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true. My insurance company came up with a Green vehicle discount for my RX450h. It costs less to insure the car than either of my previous IS350 or Vibe on a multicar vehicles policy ( the RX is on a single car policy). It's full of wins
Old 11-28-11, 08:13 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DAMN HYBRIDS!!! lol jk
Old 11-28-11, 09:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good (if it's true).

With that said:
I do wonder how hybrids fare against floods compared to regular autos.

There's a lot of electrical equipment in a hybrid and as you obviously know water + electricity = deadly.

Hopefully, the manufacturers have protective measures to counter against such
Old 11-28-11, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For decades it was said smaller cars could be just as safe as larger, heavier cars. Now, after all that, they are finally saying what I've thought to be most logical all along. The car that weighs more is going to cause more impact to the car it hits. It's simple mass vs. mass. Since hybrids weigh more, they can be safer when hitting a smaller car.
However, there's a caveat. If a larger car hits a wall, there's more mass and weight forces, causing more deformation and cabin intrusion, but all at a slower stop rate (more force and material to deform takes longer to happen). Opposite for the light car hitting a wall. Less mass pushing into the wall would equate less deformation, but the decceleration rate would be faster, in turn causing more human injury (neck, etc). The burning question is, what causes more human injury: The decceleration rate, or higher forces with more deformation and cabin intrusion?
yep... and imho study is stupid for not clarifying that and giving us such stats.
Old 11-28-11, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One of the things that surprises me with gas/electric hybrids is why we don't hear of more fires from rear-end impacts. In most cases, the gas tank is just to the rear and below the big hybrid battery-pack, which itself is usually just below and behind the rear-seat. In a serious rear-impact, the gas tank could rupture at the same time that the battery-pack does, producing sparks. If the two should come in contact with each other, the result would be obvious.
Old 11-28-11, 11:26 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of the things that surprises me with gas/electric hybrids is why we don't hear of more fires from rear-end impacts. In most cases, the gas tank is just to the rear and below the big hybrid battery-pack, which itself is usually just below and behind the rear-seat. In a serious rear-impact, the gas tank could rupture at the same time that the battery-pack does, producing sparks. If the two should come in contact with each other, the result would be obvious.
There would probably be more danger from the battery pack overheating (ie Chevy Volt) near the gas tank than being the actual cause of additional sparks I would think.
Old 11-28-11, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
nimh is not that volatile... on the other, lion is and hence all the stories about Volt catching on fire.
so you dont see a lot of it because not many volts were sold :-)
Old 11-28-11, 12:26 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it should be, but does anyone know if the Volt is officially deemed a hybrid?
Old 11-28-11, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

so less likely to crash into another car but 20% more likely to hit a pedestrian .....got it