Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, BMW may build green cars together

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota, BMW may build green cars together

Toyota, BMW may build green cars together

Toyota and BMW have reportedly begun discussions on swapping their signature green technologies. The Japanese automaker would open up its hybrid tech to BMW, while the Germans would provide diesel engines for Toyotas. This is a little different than the recent memorandum of understanding signed between Ford and Toyota, since that partnership – if it comes to fruition – would see both companies jointly developing a hybrid system for trucks.

The BMW and Toyota talks are about swapping tech to save money on "core technologies." BMW's gain would be in the U.S., where hybrids are still much more in vogue than in Europe, while Toyota's interest is in shoring up its diesel position in Europe, where hybrids aren't yet the thing and the company posted a loss through the first half of the year. For instance, of the eight family cars that Toyota sells in the UK, only three can be had with a diesel.

Only talks have begun, so there's no official deal in place while Toyota works to see if BMW diesels will fit in its cars. One also has to wonder how managers at Lexus would feel about seeing their hybrid tech behind a roundel badge.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/28/t...cars-together/
Old 11-28-11, 04:34 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some BMW fans will go off the handles when they hear this.
Old 11-28-11, 05:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JessePS
I think some BMW fans will go off the handles when they hear this.
they should be happy their getting a reliable powertrain
Old 11-28-11, 05:22 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First Yota works with Subaru, now BMW. Damn.
Old 11-28-11, 05:31 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some already hate me for running more aggressive wheels than them. Doubt this will go well. I'll check into e46fanatics later haha
Old 11-28-11, 08:19 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Default Bmw to provide diesel engines for Toyota vehicles

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/toyotas-p...diesel-engines

Talks are ongoing between Toyota Motor Corp. and BMW AG for a partnership in environmental vehicles, according to a report from business daily Nikkei. The proposed deal states that BMW will offer diesel engines, most probably 2-liter versions for midsize cars, for Toyota's passenger vehicles available in Europe, where sales decreased by 9% last year. The financial paper said that it has yet to decide when the project will start and what its scale would be. Nikkei said that this is the second time that Toyota will tie up with a foreign automaker giant.

Last August, Toyota and Ford Motor Co. entered a deal to jointly develop hybrid trucks and SUVs. Nikkei also said that Toyota seeks to enhance the marketability of its diesel vehicles by obtaining engines from BMW as the strong yen harms the hybrids’ price competitiveness. With this deal, Toyota will be able to decrease its development expenses by having domestic and Polish factories build diesel engines for a smaller number of models.

The daily said that if requested, Toyota is expected to share its technologies for hybrid systems. Meanwhile, BMW could extend its range of green vehicles, having inked an agreement last year with France's PSA Peugeot Citroen Group for the joint development of hybrid systems for subcompacts. The Nikkei said that the rising demand for green vehicles together with the increasing crude oil prices have compelled major automakers to join forces to reduce costs so that they could slash vehicle prices. [source: Reuters]
Old 11-28-11, 09:25 PM
Hoovey689

pretty much the same

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-together.html

mods let's merge these!
Old 11-28-11, 11:26 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I the only one NOT excited about this? lol...

I can see toyota reliability dropping from this...
Old 11-28-11, 11:33 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. The Toyota diesel engine in the 2IS is very poor and unreliable and has done immeasurable damage to Lexus' reputation in Europe, whereas the BMW diesel engines are widely regarded as best in class.
Old 11-29-11, 12:33 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GiantsFan

Not at all, this is a great opportunity for both companies. BMW gains Toyota's HSD system which is class leading and vice versa for Toyota and BMWs slew of diesel engines (the 2.0 being one of the best). Like Andy said, Toyota's 2.2L is unreliable. The cost sharing of technology in cooperation with each other is good . The hybrid system developed by BMW, GM, and DaimlerChrsyler is no where near as good as Toyota's. I can see your worry about if the engines were say for performance, but Toyota will not be using the N54 Turbo so no worries about HPFP failure.

Also the article reiterated Toyota's collaboration with Ford and a hybrid system for their trucks. This is absolutely beneficial to Toyota who's competent Tundra match the domestics. A hybrid system better than the one implemented on the Silverado and Sierra would make the Tundra a more versatile option.
Old 11-29-11, 12:59 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just heard about this too. I think it should bring good upon both companies...we'll see though...
Old 11-29-11, 02:08 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I am also skeptical about this.
Old 11-29-11, 04:42 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question What Happened to Isuzu

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:19am EDT

Aug 23 (Reuters) - Japan's Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) and Isuzu Motors Ltd (7202.T) said they would cooperate to develop and produce small diesel engines for use in Toyota cars for the European market.

The details of the alliance have yet to be ironed out, but Isuzu will play a primary role in the pact, and production of 1.6 litre engines is slated to start around 2012, the two firms said on Thursday.

Toyota, the world's biggest automaker, bought 5.9% of Isuzu late last year to tap the truck maker's expertise in diesel engines. The two had been negotiating details on how to cooperate based on a broad agreement to jointly develop small, next-generation diesel engines.

The Nikkei business daily reported in June that Isuzu would invest some 30 billion yen ($259 million) to build a new plant on Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido to supply about 200,000 diesel engines a year exclusively to Toyota from 2012.

Both companies said then that nothing had been decided.

Toyota is keen to spread gasoline-electric hybrid technology as a fuel-saving alternative to pure internal combustion engines, but it is also looking to catch up with rivals in the diesel field.

Ahead of the announcement, shares in Toyota closed up 2.0% at 6,680 yen, while Isuzu gained 4.7% to 554 yen.
Old 11-29-11, 05:30 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I drive a BMW with a diesel engine and I've had no issues. My car is now at 80,871 km and the engine runs and feels like the day I bought the [used] car.

BMW diesel engines have a reputation for reliability. And don't forget that there are suppliers that provide certain parts for engines for all manufacturers out there.
Old 11-29-11, 07:03 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Except for the HPFP, BMW powertrains are very reliable, and can go the distance mile for mile with Toyota

Quick Reply: Toyota, BMW may build green cars together