Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brake Service \ Part issue at JM Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 01:31 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Why does the burden fall on the customer to get the correct parts installed on his/her car when going to the dealership for specific work? What if the car belonged to my mom? Would it be my moms responsibility to know she had low dust pads on the car and tell the SA that is what she wanted? Shouldn't it be the SA responsibility to inform the customer of his/her options that the dealership is willing to perform?

Since the TSIB was performed if/when the customer complains about a specific problem, would the OP now be able to complain about excessive dusting again and get the low dust pads under TSIB again? Generally when a TSIB is performed on a car the replacement TSIB part is used for the rest of its serviceable life. The dealership knows the TSIB was performed on this specific car and could have just read the maintenance history. If the dealership had no way of tracking TSIB work, then what is to prevent customers to asking for TSIB work on the same bulletin all the time?

I'm a big DIYer and perform a lot of my own work simply because I am too cheap to pay someone else to do simple jobs. However, the dealership should be a place where a customer can simply drop his car off, pay an arm and a leg and get the job done correctly without having to to the research and explain everything to the Service Department. That is their job and what they get paid for.
The correct oem pads were installed.
If it were me I definitely would have make a point that I want the low dust pads.
The cars computer history should have the TSB pad install but I still would say I want the low dust pads.
If the car belonged to my Mom like you mention Mom,I would have told her make sure you tell them you want the low dust pad.
I'm not saying the dealer service was 100% correct but the low dust pads should have been mentioned.
Is a low dust pad still available?I don't believe so.I don't see one on Sewell's part site like a couple of months ago.I also emailed Darryl at Sewell and he said they aren't available anymore.
My '10 front pads don't seem to be too dusty.Maybe all the pads are the same now and produce less dust.
So maybe all this is much ado about nothing if a low dust pad isn't available anymore.
Old 12-02-11, 01:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why does the burden fall on the customer to get the correct parts installed on his/her car when going to the dealership for specific work? What if the car belonged to my mom? Would it be my moms responsibility to know she had low dust pads on the car and tell the SA that is what she wanted? Shouldn't it be the SA responsibility to inform the customer of his/her options that the dealership is willing to perform?

Since the TSIB was performed if/when the customer complains about a specific problem, would the OP now be able to complain about excessive dusting again and get the low dust pads under TSIB again? Generally when a TSIB is performed on a car the replacement TSIB part is used for the rest of its serviceable life. The dealership knows the TSIB was performed on this specific car and could have just read the maintenance history. If the dealership had no way of tracking TSIB work, then what is to prevent customers to asking for TSIB work on the same bulletin all the time?

I'm a big DIYer and perform a lot of my own work simply because I am too cheap to pay someone else to do simple jobs. However, the dealership should be a place where a customer can simply drop his car off, pay an arm and a leg and get the job done correctly without having to to the research and explain everything to the Service Department. That is their job and what they get paid for.
Well said and indisputable!
Old 12-02-11, 01:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
Well said and indisputable!
Why not find out if a low dust pad is available?
Old 12-02-11, 02:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is their job and what they get paid for.
But that's the thing.

They did do the job they were paid for.

OP asked for brake pads: dealer found the OEM part, and provided customary and guidelined service.

If the OP had special requests beyond customary and guidelined protocol, it needs to be addressed.

Yes, a TSIB was done, but that's not a guarantee that it was documented nor flagged. It's not a guarantee that the service tech will remember that particular car and customer. It's not a guarantee that the non-OEM pads ultimately were preferred over the OEM ones.

Assumption and expectation can lead to disappointment, and that is what happened. I'm pretty sure that, next time, the OP will be much more diligent and proactive, rather than passive and complacent.
Old 12-02-11, 02:37 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ you know what happens when you "assume"...
Old 12-02-11, 03:13 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love debate as well as the next person but not when it's illogical. Maybe this will end it. It will for me because I refuse to respond further to pointless banter.

I know for a fact on every single trip to the service dept, they have reviewed my history. I've seen it and have been told it is a regular function.
- If it was true there is a choice based on preference, the history review would show there was a TSIB and that I had the non-dust pads installed. That would be a clear indication of my preference.
- If there is a choice, how would I or any customer know this without being advised such choice exists. To not inform is either an attempt to sneak the old dusties through or it is gross poor customer service. Neither a good thing.
- Has anyone ever heard of a part coniuing to be used after it has been TSIB'd? What if this were an AC part or master cylinder. You just wouldn't expect something like that. Again, how would I know about this choice without being told?
- Bottom line, the risk is that using the dusty pads might be accepted by a few but why risk having to deal with an unhappy customer over a relatively small issue? Taking the car back for the non-dust pads cost valuable labor and wasted pads that are now used and can't be sold to another customer.

There is no level where I can understand this. I don't even understand the couple of guys here trying to side with the dealer on this.
One thing for sure, I won't repond or reply further, I don't involve myself with illogical babble.

Have fun!
Old 12-02-11, 03:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I love debate as well as the next person but not when it's illogical. Maybe this will end it. It will for me because I refuse to respond further to pointless banter.

I know for a fact on every single trip to the service dept, they have reviewed my history. I've seen it and have been told it is a regular function.
- If it was true there is a choice based on preference, the history review would show there was a TSIB and that I had the non-dust pads installed. That would be a clear indication of my preference.
- If there is a choice, how would I or any customer know this without being advised such choice exists. To not inform is either an attempt to sneak the old dusties through or it is gross poor customer service. Neither a good thing.
- Has anyone ever heard of a part coniuing to be used after it has been TSIB'd? What if this were an AC part or master cylinder. You just wouldn't expect something like that. Again, how would I know about this choice without being told?
- Bottom line, the risk is that using the dusty pads might be accepted by a few but why risk having to deal with an unhappy customer over a relatively small issue? Taking the car back for the non-dust pads cost valuable labor and wasted pads that are now used and can't be sold to another customer.

There is no level where I can understand this. I don't even understand the couple of guys here trying to side with the dealer on this.
One thing for sure, I won't repond or reply further, I don't involve myself with illogical babble.

Have fun!
I called my dealer service dept and was told there's no low dust pad for my '10 IS350 after the SA talked to parts..
Old 12-02-11, 05:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe that's the problem.

Perhaps you don't understand because you're not stepping into the other guys' shoes.

I'm not siding with the dealer. I don't know who they are -- they're thousands of miles away from me. I have never done business with them, and I doubt I ever will.

However, I present the possibility, and only a possibility, that it's your fault.

If a business has a set of standards (like using recommended products from a universally accepted parts catalog), it is their job to follow it. If you have your own set of standards, you have to communicate such demands prior to service.

Isn't it a hassle when you communicate your demands after service? I bet you'll never do it again...

I am the Devil's Advocate.
Old 12-02-11, 06:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

.Maybe this will end it. It will for me because I refuse to respond further to pointless banter.

Have fun!
good enough, let's call it done.