Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brake Service \ Part issue at JM Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 05:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Service \ Part issue at JM Lexus

Couple weeks ago I got my brakes done at JM Lexus.
Couple days later I realized they used the old brake pads that were recalled because of excessive brake dust. I went in today to find out what the deal is. I was told they still have those old pads in stock and if a customer doesn't specifically request the dust-free pads, you get the old ones. Just passing this along in case other dealerships try this dumb trick.
Old 12-01-11, 05:18 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

thats grimey
Old 12-01-11, 05:23 PM
1100HP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man. WTF is up with them? I bought my first Lexus ever from them back in 2002. There was nothing but great things out of their shop. My sister gets her GS serviced there and she has nothing but horrid things to say. I couldn't figure it out for the longest and just assumed she was *****ing. Now that other people are having problems I guess she is right.
Old 12-01-11, 05:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Couple weeks ago I got my brakes done at JM Lexus.
Couple days later I realized they used the old brake pads that were recalled because of excessive brake dust. I went in today to find out what the deal is. I was told they still have those old pads in stock and if a customer doesn't specifically request the dust-free pads, you get the old ones. Just passing this along in case other dealerships try this dumb trick.
I don't think that's a dumb trick.

There was never a recall. It was only a service bulletin.

The dusty brake pads have been the preferred OEM pads since the 2IS's introduction.

The old dusty brake pads had qualities that, to some people, made the car brake more efficiently. However, the non-dusty pads are available to those who prefer aesthetics over performance.
Old 12-01-11, 05:58 PM
1100HP
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

The dusty brake pads have been the preferred OEM pads since the 2IS's introduction.

The old dusty brake pads had qualities that, to some people, made the car brake more efficiently. However, the non-dusty pads are available to those who prefer aesthetics over performance.
You would think that they would ask you though. Isn't that the "going above and beyond" that makes Lexus a bit above the rest? I would except that from a Honda dealer. Not Lexus.
Old 12-01-11, 06:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I just think they should have asked.
Not asking gives the appearance of an attempt to sneak it by me.
The appearance of the sneak is just as powerful as intended sneaking.
Any modern company who has taken Deming and other training programs would know this.
Old 12-01-11, 06:13 PM
1100HP
Driver

Not asking gives the appearance of an attempt to sneak it by me.
The appearance of the sneak is just as powerful as intended sneaking.
Any modern company who has taken Deming and other training programs would know this.
I have to agree. That is something a lower class shop would do.
Old 12-01-11, 06:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tropepef
You would think that they would ask you though. Isn't that the "going above and beyond" that makes Lexus a bit above the rest? I would except that from a Honda dealer. Not Lexus.
Not if its the regular OEM part. Unless if you ask for a specific non-OEM part (their replacement catalogs still recommend the dusty pads), the dealership will follow regular guidelines.

There are way too many replaceable consumables on a car for a dealership, or any non-dealership service business, to determine specific brands and types for the customer. It's a customers' responsibility to tell a serviceman what they want. Not all service technicians will "guess" that a non-OEM part is preferred over the recommended OEM one.

Do they ask you what brand of oil you prefer during an oil change?
Do they ask if you want regular water or special windshield wiper fluid in your reservoir?
Do they ask you if you want what type of soap or wax or dash cleaner to use when they wash your car?

Too many factors for a dealer to decide for you. You decide for you. You tell them what you want.

If you asked for a glass of water, I'd give you a glass of water. If you would have preferred one with ice, you have to tell me...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 12-01-11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 06:18 PM
1100HP
Driver

Not if its the regular OEM part. Unless if you ask for a specific non-OEM part (their replacement catalogs still recommend the dusty pads), the dealership will follow regular guidelines.

There are way too many replaceable consumables on a car for a dealership, or any non-dealership service business, to determine specific brands and types for the customer. It's a customers' responsibility to tell a serviceman what they want. Not all service technicians will "guess" that a non-OEM part is preferred over the recommended OEM one.
I guess I can see both sides here. If the dusty pads are preferred they are more then likely believing they are doing you a favor.
Old 12-01-11, 06:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I noticed in the past you like to debate.

Look, I already had the no-dust pads on the car.
Customers should be asked if there truly is an option. Even my service writer didn't know there was an option. I was there when he called the tech. He knew they were feeding him balogna with that customer choice crap. It was obvious to him and me they had these old pads in stock and were trying to slip them in to customers who either don't know the difference or too busy to bring their car back.
The stupid part is that I already had the no-dust pads. There is a different part number. They purposely put on the old dust making pad.
That's the appearance of a sneak. What's up with you? Let it go.
Old 12-01-11, 06:32 PM
spotxc
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 37 Posts

I would never get service done again at JM Lexus. They always seem to screw something up and never tell you about it or stand behind it. Its worth it to drive a little and avoid them in my opinion. Ice I think you were one of the people who actually told me about their horrible service after I had a bad experience.
Old 12-01-11, 06:34 PM
1100HP
Driver

My sister also had a scratch in here back passenger side after her service. Again, I thought it was her just being her but apparently they just don't care. Didn't even try to help her after she talked to the manager.
Old 12-01-11, 06:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i clicked this thread thinking it was some really big fiasco.

after reading it, it's just a simple lack of communication that led to the OP's misunderstanding.

:/
Old 12-01-11, 06:47 PM
1100HP
Driver

I need some popcorn...
Old 12-01-11, 07:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

while i agree it would be great if they asked, but i don't see what's busted when there was never a recall and both pads are actually available and approved for the cars. i know plenty of people who prefer the one with more dust because they perform better. and guess what, they are technically more expensive last i heard.

to be honest, i think wrong title and info in the first post, but at the same time valid request to "ask"

Quick Reply: Brake Service \ Part issue at JM Lexus