Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Watchdog requests that the EPA re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Arrow Consumer Watchdog requests that the EPA re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra

SMH at those stricken with the Fluff epidemic...

There has been substantial owners pissed off with getting nowhere near the claimed ratings..we have seen the auto reviews claim the same, not close to MPG ratings..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/consumer...y-claims.html#

“Consumer Watchdog requests that the EPA re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra models in its own facility, to seek an explanation for the MPG disappointments of so many Elantra buyers,” read an open letter from Consumer Watchdog to the EPA. “For instance, was Hyundai’s own testing overly reliant on its low-power ECO mode (Which could be dangerous for drivers trying to enter a freeway, pass another driver or stay with traffic in hilly areas)? If so, do other makers with similar low- power modes test their cars in identical fashion? If not, that would make the Elantra’s MPG claims deceptive.”

Few consumers know that the EPA often takes automakers on their word in terms of mileage ratings for new cars; in 2009, Car and Driver reported that the agency had only 18 employees in its automotive department and, on average, tested roughly 200 to 250 vehicles per year, or about 15 percent of new models.

If the EPA decides to test the Elantra and finds a discrepancy between its own results and those reported by Hyundai, Consumer Watchdog asked the agency to assess Hyundai a “substantial penalty…including fines, notification to buyers of its recent Elantra models and rebates that cover drivers’ added cost of fuel for average yearly miles driven.”

Old 12-01-11, 09:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just further proof that EPA ratings are nonsense, and rarely represent real world MPG - and this does not apply only to Hyundai.
Old 12-01-11, 10:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Add the Sonata and Sonata Hybrid to the list please Consumer Watchdog. fluff fluff and more fluff
Old 12-02-11, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

When shopping for a new daily drive recently I read a lot of the reviews on the new Elantra. Several of them couldn't acheive the EPA combined rating and mentionned it in their review. I've since seen it happen with a couple other cars that posted good #'s on the cycle. A lot of (sales) pressure these days mfgrs to hit that 40 mpg mark with their small cars.
Old 12-02-11, 08:00 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There almost is no point to require EPA ratings if the EPA isn't actually verifying them.
Old 12-02-11, 08:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ouch!

Well with my experience here in Chicago this is a trend with many Hyundai consumers. A few of you know I was helping out a friend of mine buying cars and one of their dealers is a Hyundai store. I have never seen consumers complain and whine about stuff they wanted and what they were willing to do with their time to make sure they got their way! My friend said to me they have never seen this behavior at any of the other stores and they have a Honda store directly across the street. So its not the location. Just seemed with my time at the store there was no way to make these consumers happy.

IMO I think our economy has a lot to do with this.
Old 12-02-11, 09:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with consumers is that they highlight highway mileage, not combined mileage.

"My Elantra gets 40 mpg, and the Camry Hybrid only gets 34." Wrong!

The correct fact is that combined mileage will always be significantly lower than its highway gas mileage, unless if it's a hybrid.
Old 12-03-11, 02:47 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

There are so many factors to gas mileage and the EPA ratings are just estimates. They should be used to compare other cars in fuel economy and not some guarantee to what mileage you're going to get. In my opinion, too many people don't know how to drive efficiently and drive with a "heavy foot".

The one thing that I have seen across the board when other people drive is that they DONT know how to coast. It's always foot on the gas or foot on the brake.

My SC400 is rated at 16 City/22 Hwy. I've gotten as high as 18.1 City/26.7 Hwy and as low as 9.8 City/19.2 Hwy before. It's all about the driver and road conditions....
Old 12-07-11, 01:01 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do people actually still buy expecting to hit those numbers? They are useful if trying to compare different models and makes, but never expect to actually reach them. These are in ideal conditions with AC off and in a lab. Geez. I've hit the highway rating once maybe... and then never again.
Old 12-07-11, 09:57 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^I hit and exceed the highway mpg listed for the IS250 every day...

I can go 70mph on cruise and get 31-34 mpg highway.
Old 12-07-11, 10:09 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Elantras never come close to reaching their combined MPGs most of the time even if you drive like a grandma. I think the reason it was so popular initially is b/c of its MPG claim.
Old 12-07-11, 07:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm noticing a trend that consistently reports certain brands as rarely achieving EPA numbers and other brands that often beat EPA numbers.

Hyundai, as we're seeing is one of the underachievers. I believe Ford and Chevy models which are claiming about 40 MPG highway are falling short too. Meanwhile, Toyota and Honda models seem to be underrated. I always read claims for the Yaris, Corolla, Fit, Civic, ect . as being higher than EPA - often significantly.

I have a Yaris which is rated at only 29/36. I get about 34/41 under normal driving - about the rating it got in '07 before the '08 EPA ratings change. Go figure.
Old 12-07-11, 08:52 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone seems to be talking about the EPA #'s being inaccurate compare to real world #'s, and to use the EPA #'s to compare between models. The point of the complaints is that Hyundai may have deliberately submitted inflated #'s to gain sales. Now that's fraud.
Old 12-08-11, 03:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It is all about Elantra:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...&model=Corolla

29-30 MPG average from 42 cars.

Toyota Corolla, rated much worse and with 4 speed AT:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...&model=Corolla

33 MPG average from 80+ cars.

Same goes for Sonata Hybrid vs Camry Hybrid... Sonata Hybrid gets average of 34.5 MPG, while OLD Camry Hybrid, gets 37 MPG averages from 80+ drivers.

These are cars that people are complaining about.

On the other hand regular Sonata does well and people are applauding it. It can be seen on fueleconomy.gov site as well. You cant fool people/forums.
Old 02-05-12, 10:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Commercial

Hyundai has been targeted by Consumer Watchdog, a non-profit advocacy organization, over the automaker's 40 mpg fuel efficiency claim on the Hyundai Elantra. The group says Elantra owners have seen fuel economy averages of 18 and 19 mpg instead of the the 29 mpg city and 40 mpg highway reported by Hyundai and the Environmental Protection Agency. As such, the group has sent letters to both Hyundai CEO John Krafcik and President Eok Jo Kim warning that if the automaker advertised the 40 mpg claim in the company's Super Bowl spots, Consumer Watchdog would release a retaliatory video of its own. The group has since followed through with that threat.

Hyundai has since released a new, updated version of its Super Bowl ad, and Consumer Watchdog claims the Korean automaker has now promised not to include the 40 mpg figure in any of the spots. Hyundai, meanwhile, released a statement saying the company's advertising was "in no way" influenced by the Consumer Watchdog claims, comments or statements. Click past the jump for a look at the Elantra Super Bowl spot, the Consumer Watchdog clip about the vehicle's mileage claims and a press release from the non-profit.

Also worth a read is Popular Mechanics just-published (and very timely) fuel-economy test of two cars boasting 40 mpg EPA highway ratings: the Ford Focus SFE and the Hyundai Elantra. Ultimately, when you get past all the noise, it's important to remember that "your mileage may vary" is a mantra for a reason.
Hyundai Omits "40 MPG" Claim From Super Bowl Ad After Consumer Watchdog Complaint & Flood of Consumer Complaints on Real-World MPG

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Feb. 3, 2012 -- Hyundai has confirmed to Consumer Watchdog that it will not include its "40 Mile Per Gallon" claim about the Elantra in its Super Bowl advertisement weeks after the consumer group called for a cessation of such advertising. Hyundai contends, however, it was not influenced by Consumer Watchdog.

On Wednesday, Consumer Watchdog wrote a letter to Hyundai's U.S. CEO and Seoul-based President seeking for clarification after a copy of the Super Bowl advertisement appeared on Hyundai's YouTube page without the "40 MPG" claim on screen, but with the claim made on the YouTube side-bar. The consumer group had planned to widely promote a guerilla counter-advertisement showing the cost to consumers of the misrepresentation. Watch that Consumer Watchdog counter-advertisement here. http://youtu.be/LAsUctv3vQU

The ad-style video produced by Consumer Watchdog noted that even the professional testers at Consumers Union achieved only 29 MPG in combined city and highway tests of the 2011 Elantra, 12% below the company's claimed combined 33 MPG. It counts the costs to consumers:

In a year, enough gasoline for a trip from Little Rock, AR, to California's Disneyland
For all purchasers of the 2011 Elantra, an extra 10 million-plus gallons of gasoline purchased per year
For all purchasers, an extra yearly gasoline cost of $38 million.

Consumer Watchdog has urged the Environmental Protection Agency to re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra. The company itself conducted its original MPG tests, the basis for its EPA-certified claim of 40 MPG highway, 29 MPG city and 33 MPG in combined driving.

Real-world reports and professional driving tests report much worse mileage than Hyundai's claimed 40 MPG highway, 29 MPG city and 33 MPG combined. Drivers have particular difficulty reaching the city claim or the combined claim.

Scrutiny of MPG claims is rising after a Honda Civic hybrid owner in California won a small-claims court challenge Wednesday on the car's false MPG claims.

"Consumers who increasingly buy cars on the basis of high miles per gallon-then can't get close to the posted figure-are justifiably angry,"
said Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog. "Hyundai's omission of its touted '40 MPG' claim in its Super Bowl ads, after making a very big deal of it in earlier advertising, shows that the company is hearing the hoofbeats of consumer outrage."

Consumer Watchdog's letter sent Wednesday asked for a response from Hyundai by noon PDT Thursday, offering to stop the promotion of the guerilla video that disputes the Elantra's MPG claims and counts up the multi-million dollar cost to drivers. The letter also challenged Hyundai's U.S. CEO to fill up the tank of Elantra and either match the company's mileage claims or leave himself stranded on the road to the Super Bowl.

Consumer Watchdog wrote: "Should you intend to sneak the 40 MPG claim into your advertisement at the last moment then we offer you this challenge: Will Mr. Krafcik take the 40 MPG challenge and drive to the Super Bowl on a full tank of gasoline based exactly on that calculation, starting precisely that number of miles away? If you are not ready to do so, you should not tell 111 million U.S. Super Bowl viewers that they could either."

Read the correspondences between Hyundai and Consumer Watchdog at: http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/reso...espondence.pdf

Quick Reply: Consumer Watchdog requests that the EPA re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra