Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CEO takes responsibility for poor reception of redesigned Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Honda CEO takes responsibility for poor reception of redesigned Civic

Honda CEO takes responsibility for poor reception of redesigned Civic

There are plenty of ways to know an automaker has made a misstep. Diminished sales and high inventory are typical markers of a lackluster model, as is a paucity of critical acclaim. All three factors are currently weighting on the 2012 Honda Civic. And while stopping short of an actual apology, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito has reportedly stepped in to take responsibility for the model's reception. At a Tokyo Motor Show roundtable, Ito told media members that he takes full responsibility for the vehicle's meager performance in the United States and remarked that Honda takes input from world markets very seriously. The CEO also said that his company is working to discern the best course of action moving forward, acknowledging talk of an earlier-than-normal refresh to address the car's criticisms.

The redesigned Honda Civic hasn't found many fans since it debuted in April. Consumer Reports refused to recommend the vehicle for the first time in the car's history, and Dan Neil of The Wall Street Journal said that the new car "feels like a betrayal from Honda."

Ouch.

Not surprisingly, Automotive News reports that Civic sales have dropped by 15 percent while the rest of the automotive market has seen an increase of 10 percent compared to last year. While some of that fall may be due to supply issues brought about first by earthquake and tsunami activity in Japan and later by floods in Thailand, the reality is that the bread-and-butter compact simply isn't meeting expectations.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/h...of-redesigned/
Old 12-03-11, 02:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Honda has been doing a lot of apologizing and explaining over the last few years (TL comes to mind). With the new Civic, I still don't think they get it. If they had truly learned their lessons previously, this car should have never turned out the way it did.
Old 12-03-11, 03:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Honda has been doing a lot of apologizing and explaining over the last few years

It's actually quite the opposite. When criticized, they're always first to defend their choices. They talk the talk but never walk the walk. Rarely do you get an apology from Honda, especially from their CEO. I was not too fond of Honda's previous CEO, Takeo Fukui. Ito, on the other hand, doesn't seem too bad as long as he follows through.
Old 12-03-11, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I did a review of the new Civic. Although the suspension and underpinnings are not as impressive as they used to be, the main problem seems to be in the El Cheapo interior, with hard-plastic and a distinct lack of soft-touch surfaces everywhere. The split-level dashboard, with its digital speedometer, like with the last Civic, also seems to be turning some potential buyers off.

Cheaper interior materials aside, however, it still seems to have the solid overall Honda build-quality, which has been a Honda feature for many years.
Old 12-03-11, 11:10 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They thought they could get a way with replacing a leading car with a merely competent car. They overestimated the loyalty of the press and the customers!

The '06-'11 Civic was the star of the mainstream compact segment. Futuristic exterior, futuristic yet user-friendly interior (although not everyone agrees on the split dash), good engines, sharp Si model for the sport compact crowd, and even a legendary Type-R for RHD markets.
Old 12-03-11, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
They thought they could get a way with replacing a leading car with a merely competent car. They overestimated the loyalty of the press and the customers!

The '06-'11 Civic was the star of the mainstream compact segment. Futuristic exterior, futuristic yet user-friendly interior (although not everyone agrees on the split dash), good engines, sharp Si model for the sport compact crowd, and even a legendary Type-R for RHD markets.
You are right, the last gen Civic was the star of the show. With the current model, they made a mistake.

At least they are owned up to the error and will do their best to fix it.
Old 12-03-11, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The trouble with the new Civic is not the materials etc (mmarshall is wrong on that) the Corolla proves that. The problem is wit the design of the exterior and interior, this vehicle is so boring and un-trendy its hurting sales.
Old 12-03-11, 11:48 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whose taking responsibility for the ugly beaks on the Acuras?! lol
Old 12-03-11, 11:57 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havn't even seen a new Civic around here in Vegas, talk about how poorly they are selling it.
Old 12-03-11, 01:55 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the Civic around Chicago and its bad, compare to the Focus and Elantra its just plain.
Old 12-03-11, 02:15 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I havn't even seen a new Civic around here in Vegas, talk about how poorly they are selling it.
You probably have, you just haven't noticed since it looks exactly the same as the old one.
Old 12-03-11, 09:34 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lame-*** looking front, el-cheapo interior design and materials along with ugly rear (for USDM models) and wow, I won't be surprised if people would buy a Focus, Cruze or even an Elantra over this thing. IMHO, it's really looking like a big step backwards over the 8th generation (FD)

Maybe if it's the European hatchback version, then I may consider.

But for the sedan (especially USDM version), you know it's so bad when you would instantly choose a Toyota over it.

http://www.wanrosnah.com/brochure-corolla-altis.htm
Old 12-03-11, 09:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I sat in one at the LA Autoshow last week and I didn't think the interior materials were all that bad. What killed it most for me was the styling. The rear end is back-dated to a 2003 Camry, the front is no longer edgy or futuristic (like the last model), and the double-tier dashboard is odd and unconventional. Three strikes and you're out.
Old 12-04-11, 05:45 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda's saving grace with this car is the brand equity they have established. The only reason this car will sell is because it's a Honda Civic. I saw one of these at the Miami Autoshow and the interior was blah and the exterior was homely and bland.
Old 12-05-11, 01:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the fight between Hyundai and Toyota, it appears that Honda will be squeezed out.

I would still love to know what happened "inside" Honda? Did they fire their designers and got in cheap rookie designers?

Quick Reply: Honda CEO takes responsibility for poor reception of redesigned Civic