Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 10:50 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Because im a Lexus lover thats why lol

Originally Posted by edgeucated
why do you want us to talk you out of a pilot. I think its a great car! The MDX is probably my first choice for an SUV, but for your budget, the pilot is perfect
Old 12-04-11, 11:13 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pizdets17
yea the GX is how it all started, but by the time i find low miles, nav, dvd and not goddam white or gold or silver im at over 30k around here. and to give you an idea there are only 4 for sale in my province where as there are 40 Pilots to choose from. Most still have 2 years warranty left too.
ah just caught your location, I only mentioned it as a friend was looking recently and found a few in our area for 25k-ish.
Old 12-04-11, 11:38 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, those vehicles here are about 10-15% more and are pretty scarce except for high mileage ones.

Originally Posted by J.P.
ah just caught your location, I only mentioned it as a friend was looking recently and found a few in our area for 25k-ish.
Old 12-04-11, 11:45 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised many of us actually like the MDX and prefer it as the go-to SUV if we were to get an SUV. I thought I was the only one.
Old 12-04-11, 01:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I'm surprised many of us actually like the MDX and prefer it as the go-to SUV if we were to get an SUV. I thought I was the only one.
It wouldn't be my first choice as a new vehicle, but the 2005 (facelift) model is rock solid.
I've driven newer RX's and the older MDX has a similar ride in my opinion. I also like the fact you can hear the engine growl on the Acura. It's got a nice tune to it.
Old 12-04-11, 04:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It uses a lot of gas, don't buy it.
Old 12-04-11, 04:39 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

seriously lol? A 3.5l regular gas vs 4.7L premium with another 400lbs of curb weight on a Lexus? A lot as compared to what, a smart car? It gets 22mpg on the highway vs gx470's 16-17 max.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It uses a lot of gas, don't buy it.
Old 12-04-11, 04:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pilot is excellent and practical. Can't go wrong with it - its only downfall is that its about as exciting as a minivan. Make sure you get one with AWD.

The 4runner has too many flaws, and the only reason to get one is if your planning to tow and offroad a lot.
Old 12-04-11, 04:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea the GX drinks more gas. The pilot's fuel economy is not great, but it's not poor either. It's just okay.
Old 12-04-11, 05:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I like them and the way they drive, but from what i remember the cabin was very loud, maybe it was just the tires
Old 12-04-11, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Well I just sold my wires car, and the more i look at the Pilot the more I want to get one. I mean, Japanese, 2006-2008,low miles, nav, dvd, leather, 8seats, 4wd, $25k? How can you go wrong? Is there something I'm missing here? Yea I know its not a lexus but its still pretty tempting. Heeellllppp
Japanese in name only, nothing Japanese about it. Its a Honda Tahoe made here for this market. Its utterly brilliant at being average in everything and inoffensive in any way possible. In other words there is a reason why its so popular, vanilla sells you can't really go wrong with it.

To me its as tempting as making sweet sweet love to Joan Rivers.

Old 12-04-11, 07:08 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ LOL Mike

Originally Posted by J.P.
Someone on here has an 04 I think and loves it, maybe they will chime in.
That's me.

I have a 2004 Pilot with over 90K on the clock. Twist the key and you, 7 friends and your stuff go where you want in comfort.

In fact, we've been thinking about replacing it with a 5 seater SUV but just yesterday we made a round trip with us and another family to Hartford and the topic of maybe getting another Pilot came up. Sometimes Vanilla is perfect for the family truckster, not sure

YMMV but good luck in your search.
Old 12-04-11, 07:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, these newer Honda's aren't as quality built as the older ones. My brother has an 08 Civic and the thing is seriously about to be sold because of the headache that it is. Brakes don't last more then 15k (And dealer says this is what they find with a good number of owners), sun-visor keeps breaking (Can't count how many he's been through now), exhaust shakes at idle (common), and been reading horror stories about the thin sheet metal used on the block cracking and requiring replacement of the whole block I won't say all their cars are junk now...my moms 07 Odyssey is holding up fine with some minor things breaking here and there...but from what i'm seeing dealing with my brothers car and from other friends of mine, Honda quality just isn't as good as it used to be. I can't really imagine his 08 Civic getting to 200k without any issues....the 90s Honda's could do that no problem.
Old 12-04-11, 07:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

We've looked at newer MDX's too, but nothing seemed marginally better than what we have now (at least for the money). As far as gas mileage, it's not that bad. Just about every 2004-2006 mid-sized SUV gets low numbers. The Pilot and MDX shouldn't be picked on for that. Only until the last few years have things improved in that class.
Old 12-04-11, 10:09 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Well I'm married with 2 kids one of whom is a hockey player so I guess I am mister average. That explains the attraction.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Japanese in name only, nothing Japanese about it. Its a Honda Tahoe made here for this market. Its utterly brilliant at being average in everything and inoffensive in any way possible. In other words there is a reason why its so popular, vanilla sells you can't really go wrong with it.

To me its as tempting as making sweet sweet love to Joan Rivers.

Quick Reply: Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Pilot