Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Japanese in name only, nothing Japanese about it. Its a Honda Tahoe made here for this market. Its utterly brilliant at being average in everything and inoffensive in any way possible. In other words there is a reason why its so popular, vanilla sells you can't really go wrong with it.
I agree with its reliability and build-quality, but I think it's stretching it a bit to call it a Japanese Tahoe. That comparison would be more accurate for the Tahoe and the Toyota Sequoia.

To me its as tempting as making sweet sweet love to Joan Rivers.
.............or Rosie O'Donnell?
Old 12-05-11, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

it's a solid reliable and practical and pretty homely vehicle.

but on the downside to me, i found it noisy. take it out on the highway and see what you think. i find hondas much too noisy (way too little sound insulation). plus, the cylinder deactivation on some (all?) pilots add vibration i didn't care for.

i'd get an older RX instead.
Old 12-05-11, 11:19 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

He's looking for something with 8 seats. I don't think the RX has that.
Old 12-05-11, 02:58 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The previous genaration Honda Pilot with the facelift is nice, it looks better than the current one. The interior is a bit cheap but not much to complain other than the deprsssive grey color, just in my office there are 5 of the previous gen Pilots. LOL. Buy it because Lexus does not offer a 7or 8 seater SUV in crossover...
Old 12-05-11, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but on the downside to me, i found it noisy. take it out on the highway and see what you think. i find hondas much too noisy (way too little sound insulation). plus, the cylinder deactivation on some (all?) pilots add vibration i didn't care for.
I'll grant that skimpy insulation in the wheel-wells doesn't help, but often just changing tires can make a noticeable difference in road-noise......especially with well-worn tread that's howling or roaring. Look for brands that Consumer Reports and other auto magazines have tested and found to be the quietest.

i'd get an older RX instead.
I'd consider one, too, as long as the mileage on it was reasonable. But definitely avoid the older ones (RX300) with the 3.0L V6 and its well-known sludge/gel issues.
Old 12-05-11, 03:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I currently have a 04 MDX that I use sometimes and it's a great ride just not something that is outstanding. Maybe I am spoiled but I would of liked to see better gearing/power/noise reduction/ less horrible scary handling/braking, but that would be if it is my DD which it is not. Just some of my thoughts.
Yes you are spoiled, your opinion don't count

The average MDX owner have never even been in a car with a V12 or in a Lexus LS, let alone owning one. You don't have the same standard

Your MDX is just what you use to take the trash to the dump, isn't it? lol

Last edited by BNR34; 12-05-11 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 05:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
seriously lol? A 3.5l regular gas vs 4.7L premium with another 400lbs of curb weight on a Lexus? A lot as compared to what, a smart car? It gets 22mpg on the highway vs gx470's 16-17 max.
Oh, I wouldn't buy a GX either.
Old 12-05-11, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It uses a lot of gas, don't buy it.
compared to what else that can haul a big crowd of people and stuff?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll grant that skimpy insulation in the wheel-wells doesn't help, but often just changing tires can make a noticeable difference in road-noise......especially with well-worn tread that's howling or roaring. Look for brands that Consumer Reports and other auto magazines have tested and found to be the quietest.
yes, but i've driven hondas (and acuras) with brand new quality tires and have been underwhelmed at how much road noise i could still hear.

I'd consider one, too, as long as the mileage on it was reasonable. But definitely avoid the older ones (RX300) with the 3.0L V6 and its well-known sludge/gel issues.
well-blown-out-of-proportion you mean? i believe the 'sludge' issue affected a few engines where people hadn't bothered to change the oil on anything like a reasonable schedule. i HAD an original rx300 and it was AWESOME from 0-115k mi. when i sold it (and had a hard time letting it go, but my ex wanted a truck to pull a horse trailer).
Old 12-05-11, 08:39 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be bored before you get home from the dealer. Get an RX and call it a day. The mystique and joy of owning a Lex (or two) never gets old.
Old 12-06-11, 12:23 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I am now officially mister average. Bought a 2008 Pilot. Has all the toys, 4wd, nav, rear dvd, leather, tow package, winter/summer rims and tires, 3m protection, running boards, black on black, with 2 years warranty left, 51k miles, out the door from a dealer $28,600 all in with 2.9% financing. I still have my gs and the wife will mostly drive this thing.
Old 12-06-11, 01:29 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy!
Old 12-06-11, 01:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

congrats. it will likely be very reliable and is certainly functional/practical!
Old 12-06-11, 03:28 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

At least its black on black which is what I wanted for my GS...Ended up with black on tan..eww tan..
Old 12-06-11, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well-blown-out-of-proportion you mean? i believe the 'sludge' issue affected a few engines where people hadn't bothered to change the oil on anything like a reasonable schedule. i HAD an original rx300 and it was AWESOME from 0-115k mi. when i sold it (and had a hard time letting it go, but my ex wanted a truck to pull a horse trailer).

I agree much of it was negligence on the part of owners. But my point was that doesn't help the OP if he ended up buying one that had been neglected and would up getting an engine that was ready to go.

In your case, Paul, I'm pretty certain you gave your RX300 good care....including fresh oil when it needed it. But there are a lot of people out there that would rather keep $20-50 in the bank than spend it on something like an oil change.
Old 12-07-11, 08:12 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

already have my first issue and the Honda forums are useless due to no replies. Just bought this suv 2 days ago and got the dealer to give me ver 6.92 nav dvd to update the 4.92 that came in the vehicle. However when I put the DVD in it says "the disc is older than the downloaded software, please check disc". The disc I took out is from 2007, the new disc is from 2010. Any ideas what the issue is?

Quick Reply: Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Pilot