Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus HQ be in California

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 08:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
For a global headquarters of Lexus?

You know imho, I'm actually surprised that no one even bothered to say Japan.

Lexus is first and foremost Japanese (obviously due to being part of the Toyota Group and being a brand arm of Toyota.........which of course originated in JAPAN).

Sure Lexus first market was USA no doubt (hence why some people call Lexus = Luxury cars exported to US)......but IMHO, the roots and identity of Lexus are 100% Japanese.

Hence why IMHO, the global HQ of Lexus should be in Japan.

California would be alright for a North American HQ.........but IMHO, global HQ should've been in Japan.

Just saying.......

P.S.
In other slightly-related news

Infiniti is planning to setup its global headquarters in HONG KONG (i know the cantonese peeps here like romini and BNR34 are happy about this).

I'm fine with this move......THOUGH I'm surprised that there is no announcement yet of setting up an Infiniti dealership in HK.

Hmm......maybe global HQ first then Hong kong dealership (???)
i am surprised infiniti moved its hq to hk too, never heard of it

lexus in japan is weak, and their sales have shown that. problem is toyota is way too strong in japan and toyota's offering is way bigger than most other regions. lexus imho has always been about other regions so it's probably better idea to be in other countries.

to me, the bigger problem is more about how toyota is going to let lexus make their own calls on design and executive. from what i see, so far a lot of the things are limited by the executive of high ups in japan. if that's the case, lexus hq can be anywhere but that's not bottleneck
Old 12-07-11, 09:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am surprised infiniti moved its hq to hk too, never heard of it

lexus in japan is weak, and their sales have shown that. problem is toyota is way too strong in japan and toyota's offering is way bigger than most other regions. lexus imho has always been about other regions so it's probably better idea to be in other countries.

to me, the bigger problem is more about how toyota is going to let lexus make their own calls on design and executive. from what i see, so far a lot of the things are limited by the executive of high ups in japan. if that's the case, lexus hq can be anywhere but that's not bottleneck
indeed... and thats why they want to move to US and make more decisions here.

Lexus is mainly built for US and to do that they have to be located in the US.

p.s. CTh is doubling sales in Japan as well, last month i saw lexus get 100% raise of sales and now is on track to an healthy 50k/year. Which is pretty good considering when they started they did only 15k or so. Main problem is of course that they still have Crown series in Japan that outsells complete Lexus brand.

OCTOBER BRANDS RANKING
Toyota 111,533
Honda 44,019
Daihatsu 42,711
Nissan 40,494
35,018 Suzuki
13,194 Mazda
7853 Subaru
7677 Mitsubishi
4308 Lexus
3861 VW
2215 BMW
1771 Mercedes
Audi 1568
Volvo 646
Fiat 457
Peugeot 364
Ford 347
Porsche 268
Citroen 265
Renault 261
Jeep 145
86 Chevrolet
77 Dodge
Jaguar 75
Alfa Romeo 67
56 Mitsuoka
49 Chrysler
Land Rover 49
Smart 49
Cadillac 45
Ferrari 32
Bentley 15
Lotus 15
Maserati 15
11 Hummer
Aston Martin 9
Lamborghini 8
Lancia 8
Alpina 7
Saab 6
Rolls Royce 3
Morgan 2
MG 2
GM Daewoo 1
Buick 1
Old 12-07-11, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Just to point out the obvious:

Lexus US October: 20k
Lexus JDM October: 4.3k
Lexus Euro October: ~4k-5k

It is crazy to even think that their HQ should be anywhere but US.
Old 12-07-11, 09:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are a little off and I cannot agree with you. For many years Lexus was no sold in the home country of Japan. Lexus also really is an American style brand and was designed first the United States. This is part of the reason why Lexus does sell very well outside of the US.

Lexus has struggled of late and for them to grow in the United States, Toyota will have to bring Lexus design, marketing, and then manufacturing to the US.

This move is about expanding growth and making profit and the current method of bringing in cars from off-shore is not as profitable as if the cars were build in the USA.
You are wrong trolling again. Lexus was designed in Japan and while was aimed squarely for the American market it also debuted in Europe and shocked the motoring press in 1989. Lexus sells well in Russia, Asia is 4th in China, does well in the U.K, South Africa and is getting better in Canada. You lack the knowledge to come to a reasonable conclusion on why Lexus doesn't sell better in other countries b/c it isn't solely how the cars are designed. They have no plants in China and had high HP engines to sell compared to the GErmans who build cars there and supply 4 cylinder engines in everything. That is one of the main reasons they don't do as well here.

I find it funny Infiniti moved their H.Q to Hong Kong and there wasn't a peep. I guess no one cares. This is simply a way for Lexus haters to bash Lexus who somehow think Lexus moving to America would be a bad thing. Way to typical.

Old 12-07-11, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
indeed... and thats why they want to move to US and make more decisions here.

Lexus is mainly built for US and to do that they have to be located in the US.

p.s. CTh is doubling sales in Japan as well, last month i saw lexus get 100% raise of sales and now is on track to an healthy 50k/year. Which is pretty good considering when they started they did only 15k or so. Main problem is of course that they still have Crown series in Japan that outsells complete Lexus brand.

OCTOBER BRANDS RANKING
yup, in some way i really hope lexus can put hq here (US), let lexus does their things, and then BRING the cars back to japan and give it an import feel. spice it up more and separate it further from toyota root. i think that's what they need to further expand.

ct is a good example. it doesn't have much toyota feel to it imho, on the other hand more european feel. i wonder if that's what interest the japanese market
Old 12-07-11, 10:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Senior Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

No. They can have design and testing teams all over the world if need be. The final production and decisions should be based near the source of production. I feel Japan is suitable for the time being.
Old 12-07-11, 11:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, in some way i really hope lexus can put hq here (US), let lexus does their things, and then BRING the cars back to japan and give it an import feel. spice it up more and separate it further from toyota root. i think that's what they need to further expand.

ct is a good example. it doesn't have much toyota feel to it imho, on the other hand more european feel. i wonder if that's what interest the japanese market
CTh sells great in Japan and Europe because:
a. Price
b. Size

Best selling cars in Japan and Europe are at CTh size or lower... very different from US where Camry and F-150 is best seller. For instance Yaris in Europe sells 4x more than Avensis... where in US, Camry sells 4x more than Yaris :-).
Old 12-07-11, 11:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, it was actually the Lexus LS that paved the way for the "REAL LAUNCH" of Lexus Japan (it reached highs of MORE THAN 10,000 units per month FOR AN ENTIRE CALENDAR YEAR).

10,000+ units per month for a premium auto vehicle (in JDM land) is A LOT
Old 12-07-11, 11:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Received 2,339 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Guys, knock off the commentary about the people posting (and your opinions of them) and keep to the subject of the thread.
Old 12-07-11, 11:30 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Bring it! I live near the San Francisco Parts Distribution Center & Regional Sales Offices here in San Ramon. It's located in a major business park including other well known marquess and HQs like Chevron, AT&T, and Coca Cola.
AT&T is headquartered in Dallas, TX and Coca Cola is headquartered in Atlanta, GA.
Old 12-07-11, 11:35 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Eventually we will start seeing more and more Lexus models built in the USA.
As of current no Lexus are built in the United States. Only some RX's are built in Canada. I could see more Lexus models being built in Canada by expanding the plant there if Lexus decides to.
Old 12-07-11, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
As of current no Lexus are built in the United States. Only some RX's are built in Canada. I could see more Lexus models being built in Canada by expanding the plant there if Lexus decides to.
IMO, Lexus is going to really go after the American market with an aggressive push to become more American in their design of Lexus models for the US market. This is what I am reading the between the lines.

This is about making money and profit and has nothing to do with pleasing the past Lexus fanboys who still believe Japan made Lexus models are superior to what Americans can build.

Anyone want to bet that the next Gen ES will come out of the US or Canada?
Old 12-08-11, 10:24 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

IMO, Lexus is going to really go after the American market with an aggressive push to become more American in their design of Lexus models for the US market. This is what I am reading the between the lines.
I think you're reading too far in between the lines. Also your opinion/perception is that of yours and not Lexus/Toyota. Lexus is global and has recently entered the Mexican and Indian market. Also check out their global site and don't think that the world revolves around the U.S. Lexus is in six major continents such as Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America and Oceania.

http://www.lexus-global.com/index.html

This is about making money and profit and has nothing to do with pleasing the past Lexus fanboys who still believe Japan made Lexus models are superior to what Americans can build.
Well over history Japanese vehicles have been superior to american vehicles. I understand about making money and profits. Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota and Toyota is the largest automobile manufacturer in the whole entire world. Toyota is number 8 in the Global 500 companies. So they are making money and have lots of profits.

Anyone want to bet that the next Gen ES will come out of the US or Canada?
I don't think the next generation ES will be made in the U.S. I can see that some of the RX's will continue be built in Canada. As of YTD 2011 71,087 RX's have been sold in the U.S and 35,991 ES's have been sold in the U.S. Unless the ES will double or triple in sales will Lexus consider building the ES in their Canadian plant. Worldwide sales I'm guessing Lexus has sold about 140,000 RX's and roughly 70,000 ES's.
Old 12-08-11, 12:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Just to point out the obvious:

Lexus US October: 20k
Lexus JDM October: 4.3k
Lexus Euro October: ~4k-5k

It is crazy to even think that their HQ should be anywhere but US.
So basically you view the future of Lexus as being a US luxury car company with limited exports, just like Cadillac.

I would like to think they can be as successful as Mercedes on a global level.
Old 12-08-11, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
So basically you view the future of Lexus as being a US luxury car company with limited exports, just like Cadillac.

I would like to think they can be as successful as Mercedes on a global level.
no, i see it expanding... but you cant expand by ignoring your largest market.

Lexus needs to build on their strength in the USA, their largest market.

Putting HQ in Germany would be ridiculous and would make no sense.
It doesnt mean that they wont have input from Europe or Japan, it just means their priority and their strength is in USA, as it is.

Otherwise, Lexus is expanding world wide... I was very surprised that China just became its 2nd biggest market, after USA. I think that by 2013, Lexus will sell more than 500,000 world wide, which is a big feat for such brand.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus HQ be in California