Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus HQ be in California

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 03:54 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Lexus should also consider HK like Infiniti. The luxury market in China is exploding and the Lexus brand is not quite established there yet, whereas the US luxury market is mature.
Old 12-08-11, 05:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, i see it expanding... but you cant expand by ignoring your largest market.

Lexus needs to build on their strength in the USA, their largest market.

Putting HQ in Germany would be ridiculous and would make no sense.
It doesnt mean that they wont have input from Europe or Japan, it just means their priority and their strength is in USA, as it is.

Otherwise, Lexus is expanding world wide... I was very surprised that China just became its 2nd biggest market, after USA. I think that by 2013, Lexus will sell more than 500,000 world wide, which is a big feat for such brand.
I disagree. I find the fact that Lexus is outsold by Audi to be a travesty and really points to the mismanagement of Lexus. They are overly US centric.

On a global basis, luxury cars designed in Europe substantially outsell luxury cars designed in the US. That is telling in my opinion.
Old 12-08-11, 10:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
I think you're reading too far in between the lines. Also your opinion/perception is that of yours and not Lexus/Toyota. Lexus is global and has recently entered the Mexican and Indian market. Also check out their global site and don't think that the world revolves around the U.S. Lexus is in six major continents such as Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America and Oceania.

http://www.lexus-global.com/index.html

Well over history Japanese vehicles have been superior to american vehicles. I understand about making money and profits. Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota and Toyota is the largest automobile manufacturer in the whole entire world. Toyota is number 8 in the Global 500 companies. So they are making money and have lots of profits.

I don't think the next generation ES will be made in the U.S. I can see that some of the RX's will continue be built in Canada. As of YTD 2011 71,087 RX's have been sold in the U.S and 35,991 ES's have been sold in the U.S. Unless the ES will double or triple in sales will Lexus consider building the ES in their Canadian plant. Worldwide sales I'm guessing Lexus has sold about 140,000 RX's and roughly 70,000 ES's.
Trexus thank you, I mean a big thank you for taking the time to educate here. Its refreshing to see leadersihp enthusiastic about Lexus in CarChat I applaud you.

Originally Posted by bolido
I think Lexus should also consider HK like Infiniti. The luxury market in China is exploding and the Lexus brand is not quite established there yet, whereas the US luxury market is mature.
Why on earth would anyone follow a brand that continues to struggle everywhere for over 20 years? Makes no sense.

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I disagree. I find the fact that Lexus is outsold by Audi to be a travesty and really points to the mismanagement of Lexus. They are overly US centric.

On a global basis, luxury cars designed in Europe substantially outsell luxury cars designed in the US. That is telling in my opinion.
That is b/c Lexus actually was selling only V-6/V-8 etc luxury cars while the Germans moved to A1/1 series etc years ago, helping sales. The CT was the first effort to enter those markets and its been a hit.

Everyone needs to remember, the German brands have up and down and up histories for 100 years in some cases. Lexus is barely 20 years young. Compared to everyone else, what Lexus has done is outstanding.

IT takes time and they are learning from their mistakes.

Old 12-12-11, 09:37 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*

Not sure if there is mismanagement at Lexus regarding worldwide growth. One must remember how young Lexus is compared to Mercedes, BMW and Audi. It is fact Mercedes, BMW and Audi outsell Lexus on a worldwide standpoint. Lexus has already conquered the U.S. now give it some time and Lexus will conquer the world...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Trexus thank you, I mean a big thank you for taking the time to educate here. Its refreshing to see leadersihp enthusiastic about Lexus in CarChat I applaud you.

That is b/c Lexus actually was selling only V-6/V-8 etc luxury cars while the Germans moved to A1/1 series etc years ago, helping sales. The CT was the first effort to enter those markets and its been a hit.

Everyone needs to remember, the German brands have up and down and up histories for 100 years in some cases. Lexus is barely 20 years young. Compared to everyone else, what Lexus has done is outstanding.

IT takes time and they are learning from their mistakes.
Thanks Mike. People need to understand where Lexus came and how it fits in the big picture. Many people see a narrow point of view and have know idea how much they don't know.
Old 12-12-11, 09:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Lexus HQ is already in California...

But in reality, Lexus Global HQ should be placed in California because afterall, Lexus is really a California born idea...specifically South Orange County.
Old 12-12-11, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

But in reality, Lexus Global HQ should be placed in California because afterall, Lexus is really a California born idea...specifically South Orange County.
Old 12-12-11, 12:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

agreed...putting it in europe will not suddenly make it sell better in europe. it might make it sell worse in its biggest market - usa.
Old 12-12-11, 12:33 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^lexus europe, imo, could do some great things if they are in charge lol... They have some cool things going on! (aka LS Tmg edition....etc).