Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus HQ be in California

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 08:26 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should Lexus HQ be in California

Interesting article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/06/w...-headquarters/

I am thinking it might be better if Lexus Headquarters are in Germany. I think they understand the US market very well, but if they can figure out how to crack Europe, they will be able to challenge for the worldwide sales crown.
Old 12-06-11, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think California is good.

California has some of the world's strictest standards in automotive cleanliness, safety, and energy efficiency. That will carry over to any country throughout the world.

Germany is only a marketing ploy: you can build a sport oriented car anywhere. However, to meet strict automotive regulation, I think California is more challenging.
Old 12-06-11, 09:07 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that California is a good choice.

Moving to Europe would only be for a symbolic effect, and one that probably wouldn't come off well.
Old 12-06-11, 10:14 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! California is so car-centric. Car culture is hugh here. You'll see cars from every car company out here. Japanese, German, Korean, Italian...etc. This will influence car design and what the corporate bean counters will factor into their decision making.

That's a big advantage if you ask me. The problem with American car companies is they seem to be competing with other American companies. I think that's changing now, but it's probably one of the reasons why they turned out poor products for so long. Now they are realizing they need to compete globally.

Hyundai is here in Southern California and that's been a big plus.
Old 12-06-11, 10:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

You've got a melting pot of different cultures here in the United States (and thus a lot of different ideas from everywhere) and Southern California is one of those places like New York City where you have a high concentration of a little bit of every single culture from around the world. Sure, you can find that in certain places in Europe (I even found that in Mexico City), but nowhere near what you can find in a place like Southern California. In addition, unlike a place like New York City, you've got a a great blend of urban, suburban, rural, etc. right nearby (Miami is a little bit like that, but nowhere near the size). It's a great place to test a car and see what it can do.

I really can't think of a better place.

However, if you want to see how much stress and pain a Lexus can take under the worst conditions possible, move the HQ to Mexico City, I'll be first in line to test the vehicles for you. If you can make a reliable vehicle under those conditions, you can make a reliable vehicle anywhere.
Old 12-06-11, 10:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Interesting article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/06/w...-headquarters/

I am thinking it might be better if Lexus Headquarters are in Germany. I think they understand the US market very well, but if they can figure out how to crack Europe, they will be able to challenge for the worldwide sales crown.
why the heck would it be in Germany?

It should be in California as California is by far its biggest market.
Old 12-06-11, 11:31 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think California is good.

California has some of the world's strictest standards in automotive cleanliness, safety, and energy efficiency. That will carry over to any country throughout the world.

Germany is only a marketing ploy: you can build a sport oriented car anywhere. However, to meet strict automotive regulation, I think California is more challenging.
I don't think youve ever been to Germany lol or even met a German.
Old 12-06-11, 12:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Bring it! I live near the San Francisco Parts Distribution Center & Regional Sales Offices here in San Ramon. It's located in a major business park including other well known marquess and HQs like Chevron, AT&T, and Coca Cola.
Old 12-06-11, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Eventually we will start seeing more and more Lexus models built in the USA.
Old 12-06-11, 01:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a good move. This will create a more global look to the company as opposed to simply being known as a Japanese brand. I wonder why they didnt go for Europe
Old 12-06-11, 04:02 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be awesome... like others have said, CA has such a huge car culture and lexus fits right into the "green" culture of California
Old 12-06-11, 04:11 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I guess theres nice weather over there...
Old 12-06-11, 04:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
I don't think youve ever been to Germany lol or even met a German.
I've eaten at Weinershnitzel.

I think that counts...
Old 12-07-11, 06:40 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a global headquarters of Lexus?

You know imho, I'm actually surprised that no one even bothered to say Japan.

Lexus is first and foremost Japanese (obviously due to being part of the Toyota Group and being a brand arm of Toyota.........which of course originated in JAPAN).

Sure Lexus first market was USA no doubt (hence why some people call Lexus = Luxury cars exported to US)......but IMHO, the roots and identity of Lexus are 100% Japanese.

Hence why IMHO, the global HQ of Lexus should be in Japan.

California would be alright for a North American HQ.........but IMHO, global HQ should've been in Japan.

Just saying.......

P.S.
In other slightly-related news

Infiniti is planning to setup its global headquarters in HONG KONG (i know the cantonese peeps here like romini and BNR34 are happy about this).

I'm fine with this move......THOUGH I'm surprised that there is no announcement yet of setting up an Infiniti dealership in HK.

Hmm......maybe global HQ first then Hong kong dealership (???)
Old 12-07-11, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
For a global headquarters of Lexus?

You know imho, I'm actually surprised that no one even bothered to say Japan.

Lexus is first and foremost Japanese (obviously due to being part of the Toyota Group and being a brand arm of Toyota.........which of course originated in JAPAN).

Sure Lexus first market was USA no doubt (hence why some people call Lexus = Luxury cars exported to US)......but IMHO, the roots and identity of Lexus are 100% Japanese.

Hence why IMHO, the global HQ of Lexus should be in Japan.

California would be alright for a North American HQ.........but IMHO, global HQ should've been in Japan.

Just saying.......

P.S.
In other slightly-related news

Infiniti is planning to setup its global headquarters in HONG KONG (i know the cantonese peeps here like romini and BNR34 are happy about this).

I'm fine with this move......THOUGH I'm surprised that there is no announcement yet of setting up an Infiniti dealership in HK.

Hmm......maybe global HQ first then Hong kong dealership (???)
I think you are a little off and I cannot agree with you. For many years Lexus was no sold in the home country of Japan. Lexus also really is an American style brand and was designed first the United States. This is part of the reason why Lexus does sell very well outside of the US.

Lexus has struggled of late and for them to grow in the United States, Toyota will have to bring Lexus design, marketing, and then manufacturing to the US.

This move is about expanding growth and making profit and the current method of bringing in cars from off-shore is not as profitable as if the cars were build in the USA.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus HQ be in California