Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daily Driver? or "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 06:19 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy it, drive the hell out of it, get a new one

Spend all week in a beater, drive the nice car 2 hours a week? hell no
Old 12-08-11, 06:27 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many great benefits to having a beater, or daily driver, of course the dog, but sometimes you don't want to drive a super fast car like a IS-F on certain bad weather days, or just want to save some gas. Having another car gives you this option.
Old 12-08-11, 06:33 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Cars are made to be driven. Period. That's why they're cars, not trophies or paintings.
Old 12-08-11, 06:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was just on the maserati forums, specifically the quattroportes as i have been looking at them more and more, and most of those guys daily drive them, even in the winter, specially those canadians haha
Old 12-08-11, 07:30 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I would only buy a dd if my car had a problem handling day to day tasks or if it was impractical i.e gets terrible gas mileage, bad visibility, rough ride, reliability issues, can not handle the weather, no luggage space. The IS-F has none of those problems.
Old 12-08-11, 09:08 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

40 miles a day, your on the freeway; therefore its very easy miles on your car. If it wasn't for the dog issue, I would be 100% favor of you DDing your car.
Old 12-08-11, 09:20 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J.P.

+1, what a waste. DD all the way!
Old 12-08-11, 09:35 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, if you can afford it, get a DD. If you bought for keeps on the IS-F, get a daily you can trash around. I threw summer rubber on the S for fancy schmancy occasions / long drives / fun highway blasts, use my FJ for rainy and snowy days and romps into the city (no worries about door dings or potholes), and still use my SC as my DD. I still love driving all 3 so its not punishment to drive one or the other.
Old 12-08-11, 09:48 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
honestly i never understand the concept of having these weekend cars (cars like isf) and then another daily driver. paid for the car already, drive it the way it's supposed to be. all my cars are modded, some quite heavily, and they have always been my daily driver, no exception. if things happen, they happen. i don't let my money just sit there. my m3 was lowered and what not and i just drive it like that
Originally Posted by J.P.

+1 even though i DD my car, it hasn't taken the specialness away, and I'm always looking forward to driving it. what's the point of getting a car i like and modding it and all that and then just letting it sit in the garage for most of the week.

in the case of the OP though, because of the dog issue, it is a tough call, and i can see how it justifies getting a beater.
Old 12-08-11, 11:09 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i used to commute 34 miles each way, so about 70 miles everyday. i already got used to the comfyness of lexus, but thinking to save $ so i bought a beater car for my commute. sure enough, it saved me money on gas but 2 months later i sold the beater car and drove my low modded lexus again.

unless u can afford another cheaper is/is-f just for commute, drive ur current is-f daily....enjoy the driving while u still able to drive.
Old 12-08-11, 11:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Why make your commute worse by being in a crappy car?
Old 12-09-11, 12:49 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not completely sure what i want to do either, i love my IS250, but i'm putting on 2,000+ miles a month right now. Since i got the car CPO, i had 3 years or the remainder of 100k (60k in my case) so i was hoping id be able to take the car the full 3 years without hitting 100k....which will be when the car is paid off too. Then i was just going to drive it into the ground until she can't drive anymore. But i'm thinking unless i stop having to drive my car so much (work) i may just get a GS400 on the side and use that for long distance travels...since sometimes i drive for business from Socal to places like Norcal & Las Vegas. I'd still use the IS for my daily work commute (~25 miles each way) because its just so damn comfortable and fuel efficient, but i dislike driving it long distances all the time....always collects rock chips on those long drives in the middle of no where and every mile i drive for work is a mile off the warranty lol.
Old 12-09-11, 05:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The difference with me and my only pleasure driving my IS350 is I'm in my 50's and was able to retire a few years go.So I don't need the use of a vehicle everyday for work.
If I did,I wouldn't use my IS as a pleasure vehicle.I'd use the car everyday and I'd probably own a AWD vehicle..
When I was working the last 15 years or so,I had a '69 Corvette show car that I hit the car shows and cruise nights with.Pleasure car.I sold it a few years ago.
So,I'm used to having a pleasure type vehicle the last 20 years or so.
Old 12-09-11, 05:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought it to drive it, as I think it makes a great all-around vehicle. Therefore, I drive it as much as possible, until I decide I'm ready for something else.

With the correct tires, it handles all weather just fine; it achieves relatively good gas mileage (I don't spend in a year, what I would by buying a DD I'd want); and with its dual personality, has great manners for casual use, while delivering on performance every time. It's plenty safe, reliable, and the list of features leaves me content.

Also, it's always interesting to hear questions about it being "too fast" for the street, as if the throttle is either closed or 100% open. I can modulate it, and this means I'm not always driving around at peak hp.
Old 12-09-11, 07:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

When I lived in Mexico City, we had a nutty rule called Hoy No Circula, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoy_No_Circula (Yours truly helped write most of that wikipedia article so other foreigners could understand this rule), and one day out of the week you couldn't drive your car between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. in the Metro Area. Some foreigners would switch license plates, but police often would pull them over and check the registration documents. I eventually got an emissions sticker voluntarily, but once my RX300 turned 8 years old, I couldn't get it anymore. The program is much worse for foreigners now and part of the reason I left.

So for a while, I used a Dodge Caravan to get to work on the one day I couldn't drive that my uncle and I were fixing up, but then started just getting up around 4 a.m. going to work and not leaving until after 10 p.m. with the Lexus until the point I left Mexico. I considered getting an A190 Mercedes and even an old Ford Mustang (which depending on the year, you could get an antique plate and not be subject to restrictions).

My attitude is if you can afford it and want that other special car in your life to be weekend car, who am I to tell you no. Several people at our 1/4 mile track did just that.

Another way to look at it is if you need to get that weekday vehicle to consider it as a utility vehicle, and not just something to save gas. If I were in your position, I might try to find a small SUV that gets good gas mileage (you never know when you have to haul something and those things can come in handy) or even a wagon.

If I were looking at old beaters, I might consider something like a Geo Metro or a Honda CRX.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver? or "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"