Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Infiniti QX56

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 10:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"you can't tow 8,500 pounds with a Toyota Prius."
Many people tend to forget that when they bad-mouth large SUVs.

Inside, however, there's no comparison. This is as first-rate an interior as you'll find on any vehicle, thanks to an optional semi-aniline leather that makes the Escalade feel like the Chevrolet Tahoe lurking underneath. Even the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class doesn't have as many soft-touch surfaces and stitched leather upholstery as the QX, which not only looks and feels nicer, but has a better layout to its dashboard and instrument panel.
No arguments there. Infinti's interiors have improved enormously in the last several years.

Honestly, there's not a luxury brand on earth that couldn't stand to eliminate a good 10 percent of the buttons and dials and other various interface controls in its vehicles across the board,
That's the thinking, though, that led to devices like BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI, which, IMO, are sometimes worse than a sea of buttons.

The only thing that spoils the spoiling is a ride that can tend to the harsh side on the worst pavement, something to blame, at least initially, on those 22-inch wheels. With a nice smooth stretch of road, however, the big 275mm-wide tires merely provide extra grip, which surprisingly enough turns out to be an attribute you could actually exercise. The QX has a fairly buttoned up chassis, with an optional Hydraulic Body Motion Control system that keeps the big boat from listing in the turns. It does wonders for keeping the big truck riding flat, but it seems like cheating physics in this way contributes to the QX's dislike for the rough stuff. A little more body movement might be nice if that could help soak up some of the jarring you experience on washboard or deeply pot-holed roads.

Welcome to the world of Infiniti chassis-engineering. That's just the way they do almost all of their vehicles, at least in the U.S.-market........firm (even harsh) rides and strongly sport-oriented tires/suspensions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-11 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 12:57 PM
timacks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick to my fx45 and its terrible 16mpg
Old 12-10-11, 01:02 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked at this thing recently at the auto show and I think its absolutely beautiful .

white on the stock 22's looks great, tows a lot and the price point is decent!
Old 12-10-11, 07:34 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a black QX56 the other day and liked it a lot. Black seems hiding many of its weird lines thus looks quite decent for a large LSUV. I checked the interior in person & is well said in the article.
Old 12-11-11, 09:11 PM
timacks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.

white on the stock 22's looks great, tows a lot and the price point is decent!
The wheels haven't changed much with the infiniti fx35/45 and qx45, etc
they all look farely good

I'm sure people will put these on the fx45 that originally comes with 20''
I think that would look great instead of all this dub crap