Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the 2Gen models were unibody, but, like you stated, also had a live axle because the 4WD versions also had an off-road transfer-case and low-range. I remember test-driving a 2Gen Pathfinder, though, and was surprised at how smooth it rode by SUV standards (and, of course, from my reviews and comments, you guys know I'm often critical of a stiffly-riding chassis and tires). Nissan apparantly used rather soft springs to get that smooth ride. Granted, I didn't test-drive a QX-4 like your parents had, but I don't see any reason why it would ride any stiffer then the Nissan version. Did your parents keep the tires inflated to the proper PSI? Too much air in the tires can definitely stiffen the ride.

One big difference between the 2Gen Pathfinder and its QX-4 cousin (besides the QX-4's plusher interior and better sound-insulation) was that the Pathfinder had only an El Cheapo part-time 4WD system, lacking a center-differential, that could not be used on dry pavement or just set-and-forget. The QX-4, IMO, did it the right way.....it had a selectable RWD/full-time AWD system with a center-differential, and you never had to worry about what kind of surface you were on or turning it on and off. Both systems, though, included a low-range transfer-case for true off-roading. Later Pathfinders finally got the QX-4's center differential and full-time selectable system as an option, but, IMO, should have gotten it from the start.....I pointed that out to the Nissan people several times at auto shows.
4WD vs Auto 4WD on the Pathfinder was no big deal. It was traditional for the lower end models to have the part time system.

Not everyone wants the added cost of multi-mode 4WD.

I am glad Toyota still gives a part time vs full time option on their 4Runner SUVs. When we bought out LX years back, we weren't too thrilled that it was full time 4WD.

And just an FYI for others, the auto 4WD was available on the Pathfinder LE model which was top level in trim.
Old 12-10-11, 11:42 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^was gonna mention that was well. The LE got the auto 4wd while the SE like ours had that lever to the left of the shifter. Was in a LE pathfinder and honestly didnt see too much of a difference from the qx minus the bright cluster (forgot the name of that style of lighting) and the analog clock.
Old 12-10-11, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkyat
^was gonna mention that was well. The LE got the auto 4wd while the SE like ours had that lever to the left of the shifter. Was in a LE pathfinder and honestly didnt see too much of a difference from the qx minus the bright cluster (forgot the name of that style of lighting) and the analog clock.
That lever that you see next to the shifter is why purists like my husband and I would prefer a part time 4WD set-up against a multi mode set up. Yes our LX was full-time 4WD, however switching from 4WD to 4LO was done with mechanical lever that was physically attached to the transfer case.

If you compare the new LX to the old LX470, the 4LO switch is now electronic on the 570.

Why a part time 4WD system in our old LX would of been superior is that we would not have to have an electronic push button center differential lock.

So multi-mode has two electronoc switches, one switch for 2WD/A4WD and one switch to lock the center diff.

I have to give Toyota credit where it is due. The new 4Runner Trail Rated has a good old fashioned mechanical lever that switches the transfer case from 2WD, 4HI, neutral, and 4LO. There is no electronical dial or switch to change it and no push button switch for the center diff lock.

In contrast, the new 4Runner Limited has an electronic dial switch to change 2WD, AWD, and 4LO. The Limited also has a electronic button that needs to be pressed for the center diff to be engaged. If you are a serious wheeler, the mechanical lever is the method you want to go. The last thing you need is for a fuse or something with the electronic dial to go wrong, get stuck, or fail when you need the center diff locked or 4LO engaged.
Old 12-10-11, 02:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the 2Gen models were unibody, but, like you stated, also had a live axle because the 4WD versions also had an off-road transfer-case and low-range. I remember test-driving a 2Gen Pathfinder, though, and was surprised at how smooth it rode by SUV standards (and, of course, from my reviews and comments, you guys know I'm often critical of a stiffly-riding chassis and tires).
I don't know about that. My parents Qx4 was a 99 or 98, and prior to that they had a 4runner (95 or 96) and the 4Runner drove much better and had much better ride quality.
Old 12-10-11, 04:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i believe the 01-03 qx4's were much more refined then their 96-00 counterparts, but that being said i have driven both a 99 4runner with 45k miles and a 02 qx4 with 70k miles and i felt the 4runner drove much better and seemed a bit more stable footed.
Old 12-10-11, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about that. My parents Qx4 was a 99 or 98, and prior to that they had a 4runner (95 or 96) and the 4Runner drove much better and had much better ride quality.
There are a lot of factors that help determine the ride quality of a given vehicle. People often confuse ride quality of solid axle vehicle with that of road handling.

There is not much if any difference in the suspension setup between the QX4 and the 4Runner you mention.
Old 12-10-11, 10:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That's what makes me wonder if, for some reason, your folks just put too much air into their Pathfinder's tires, or replaced the standard factory-shocks with stiffer ones. . Normally, Pathfinders of that vintage, with proper PSI, were noticeably smoother than 4Runners. However, the XTerra, which was a cousin to the body-on-frame 3Gen Pathfinders, WAS stiff....big-time. XTerras, under some conditions, felt like they had no springs or shocks at all.
Old 12-11-11, 05:19 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
i believe the 01-03 qx4's were much more refined then their 96-00 counterparts, but that being said i have driven both a 99 4runner with 45k miles and a 02 qx4 with 70k miles and i felt the 4runner drove much better and seemed a bit more stable footed.
The 96-00 felt very sluggish as well. When the VQ35 came into play in 01 it definately felt alot better to drive.
Old 12-11-11, 08:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Pathfinder is one of the last offroad, mid-sized SUV's, it would be sad to see this one go more carlike too. The new Escape recently bit the dust and I wonder where the 4Runner will go too.
4Runner isnt going anywhere... why would it?
You still have Rav4 and Highlander in Toyota lineup... we will probably get one smaller SUV in the future as well.
4Runner can stay where it is. Plenty of demand worldwide for its platform.
Old 12-11-11, 08:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That lever that you see next to the shifter is why purists like my husband and I would prefer a part time 4WD set-up against a multi mode set up. Yes our LX was full-time 4WD, however switching from 4WD to 4LO was done with mechanical lever that was physically attached to the transfer case.

If you compare the new LX to the old LX470, the 4LO switch is now electronic on the 570.

Why a part time 4WD system in our old LX would of been superior is that we would not have to have an electronic push button center differential lock.

So multi-mode has two electronoc switches, one switch for 2WD/A4WD and one switch to lock the center diff.

I have to give Toyota credit where it is due. The new 4Runner Trail Rated has a good old fashioned mechanical lever that switches the transfer case from 2WD, 4HI, neutral, and 4LO. There is no electronical dial or switch to change it and no push button switch for the center diff lock.

In contrast, the new 4Runner Limited has an electronic dial switch to change 2WD, AWD, and 4LO. The Limited also has a electronic button that needs to be pressed for the center diff to be engaged. If you are a serious wheeler, the mechanical lever is the method you want to go. The last thing you need is for a fuse or something with the electronic dial to go wrong, get stuck, or fail when you need the center diff locked or 4LO engaged.
there is so many things that can go wrong with your car other than simple electric switch.
Old 12-11-11, 08:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
4Runner isnt going anywhere... why would it?
You still have Rav4 and Highlander in Toyota lineup... we will probably get one smaller SUV in the future as well.
4Runner can stay where it is. Plenty of demand worldwide for its platform.
I agree, the 4Runner is not going anywhere. If anything, Toyota will make more money on then as they will be in higher demand than before.
Old 12-11-11, 09:08 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree, the 4Runner is not going anywhere. If anything, Toyota will make more money on then as they will be in higher demand than before.
I hope so as well. They have less competition than ever in this shrinking portion of the auto industry. I just do not want to see Toyota give in or become too complacent with the 4runner. My wish list is the 4.6L V8 and 6 spd tranny for the mid cycle refresh

a good point was brought up about its platform being utilized in many other parts of the world...The Prado is popular all over.
Old 12-11-11, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I hope so as well. They have less competition than ever in this shrinking portion of the auto industry. I just do not want to see Toyota give in or become too complacent with the 4runner. My wish list is the 4.6L V8 and 6 spd tranny for the mid cycle refresh

a good point was brought up about its platform being utilized in many other parts of the world...The Prado is popular all over.
I don't thing the 4Runner needs the 4.6, IMO that engine puts out poor performance for a 2012 engine and you get enough from the 4.0 in the current 4Runner.

I agree a 6 speed would be great in the 4Runner and an old fashioned clamshell tailgate like LX would be perfect.

We are look at the 4Runner and the Tacoma as our new 4WD model. We have not made up our mind but we love the interior design of the 4Runner and we are seriously considering the Trail Model.

It would be the perfect fit for us but a crew Tacoma with a short bed would be good as well.
Old 12-11-11, 11:37 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The 4runner better not go anywhere, i love that thing. To be honest, it's on the list of cars i am looking at for my next purchase.
Old 12-19-11, 01:18 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Teaser
http://www.insideline.com/nissan/pat...auto-show.html
Just the Facts:
-The traditionally boxy Nissan Pathfinder is about to be replaced in model year 2013 by a much curvier model.
-The 2013 Pathfinder will be previewed as a concept at the Detroit auto show.
-The new Pathfinder goes on sale next fall.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over