Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Murano, MAxiam and now this Pathfinder interior look identical to Infiniti interiors. Great for Nissan but not good for Infiniti. What a big step up inside!

This is going to be a hit for them. Nissan is quietly kicking *** and taking names while the media continues to stroke Hyundai/Kia.
It's the Ford/Lincoln dilemma, no differentiation (though this may change soon).

Hyundai and Kia are fluff. Their marketing has done a great job of getting buyers to buy into their claims, and now many of them have buyers remorse. Hyundai has done a great job of turning the company around and being innovative don't get me wrong, but the in the short time that this Korean giant has come full circle (circa 2009), I feel many of their products were rushed. The quality control certainly is no where near that of Honda or Toyota. Many of the advertised fuel economy rating are falling short majorly. Back to Nissan, this is really a golden opportunity for Nissan to take advantage of. A nice sharp modern design language blended with their engineering and innovation will make for great vehicles. That said, the new Versa is rather pathetic what with the Fiesta, again Fit, Mazda2, Sonic, Yaris, Rio, Accent already played their cards. The next Sentra HAS to be a winner because that segment is even stiffer with the Focus, Cruze, Jetta, Elantra (Forte and Corolla will be redesigned soon), and Nissan has seen what happened to the Civic. The Sentra is key. With the Altima slated for a redesign too, again your looking at really strong players in that segment.
Old 01-10-12, 03:06 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/OKB7I3tGuq4

http://youtu.be/u8oVpN6SKoo

http://youtu.be/AqM_vgnlQsM
Old 01-11-12, 06:46 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

360* tour of interior. Pretty sweet.

http://www.nissanusa.com/all-new-pat...s.html?scene=0
Old 01-11-12, 07:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
360* tour of interior. Pretty sweet.

http://www.nissanusa.com/all-new-pat...s.html?scene=0
Just did a look-see at Nissan.com. Wow, the interior is nice.
Old 01-12-12, 08:10 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it another name and I am good with it, but its sad that this is what the Pathfinder has become.

First look it reminds me of one of the Mazda suv\cuv's......

Someone in this thread noted people are not after the offroad look anymore and I say tell that to the Ford Raptor, Jeep, etc.

Issue isnt the offroad ability \ look, if they did the Pathfinder right it would have sold more. We looked at Pathfinders in the past and it seemed like Nissan gave a half *** effort, and when you do that for any car it just does not sell...
Old 01-12-12, 08:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
Give it another name and I am good with it, but its sad that this is what the Pathfinder has become.

First look it reminds me of one of the Mazda suv\cuv's......

Someone in this thread noted people are not after the offroad look anymore and I say tell that to the Ford Raptor, Jeep, etc.

Issue isnt the offroad ability \ look, if they did the Pathfinder right it would have sold more. We looked at Pathfinders in the past and it seemed like Nissan gave a half *** effort, and when you do that for any car it just does not sell...

The market for true off-roaders is shrinking. How many Raptors are sold in a year? Nissan isn't to blame for softening Pathfinder, the market simply seemed to ask for it and they responded.
Old 01-12-12, 08:28 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

1SICKLEX wrote some posts or reviews of it in the past that hit the nail on the head, they did a **** poor job with it which is why it did not sell. You cannot blame the market when you put out a lame *** product. I looked at the Pathfinder many times in the last 5 years, even before I bought my FJ, and Nissan dropped the ball....
Old 01-12-12, 08:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The Pathfinder really lost its mojo. From a glance it looks like the current Dodge Durango. When you do a whole walkaround, you can certainly see its aimed after the Highlander. Sadly the new Infiniti JX is just as bad. Nissan's days are doomed.
Old 01-12-12, 08:34 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

So far this year, Ford has recorded more than 8,000 Raptor sales in the U.S., with a growing number going overseas to private buyers (mostly to the United Arab Emerits and Saudi Arabia). The increased popularity of the SVT Raptor has led Ford to increase production by roughly 30 percent for the 2012 model year, with the extra availability going to domestic and foreign sales equally. Production at the Dearborn Truck Assembly Plant will increase from two Raptors per hour to three Raptors per hour.

By our count, that could mean yearly sales numbers approaching 15,000 units by the end of 2012, barring any major issues with the price of fuel or other domestic (or foreign) economic turmoil. No matter what happens, this far exceeds the numbers Ford was talking about at the beginning of Raptor's launch.

To date, the SVT Raptor has the lowest turnover rate of any Ford vehicle in their stable, with vehicles averaging less than 21 days from factory production to the time the vehicle is recorded as a sale.
"
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/11...-the-rise.html

It is a truck that gets 14mpg city.... They made a great product and people buy great products even during an day and age when people are concerned with gas prices.
Old 01-12-12, 09:04 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The Pathfinder really lost its mojo. From a glance it looks like the current Dodge Durango. When you do a whole walkaround, you can certainly see its aimed after the Highlander. Sadly the new Infiniti JX is just as bad. Nissan's days are doomed.
Could not disagree more. And so it is now competing more directly against Highlander.. and this is bad how?

Last edited by speedflex; 01-12-12 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 09:05 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

1SICKLEX wrote some posts or reviews of it in the past that hit the nail on the head, they did a **** poor job with it which is why it did not sell. You cannot blame the market when you put out a lame *** product. I looked at the Pathfinder many times in the last 5 years, even before I bought my FJ, and Nissan dropped the ball....

Also. The Pathfinder was for many years the standard for this type of vehicle. How can you say it hasn't been done well? Even the current generation Pathfinder outsells the FJ almost 2 to 1. Must not be all that bad.

Anyway, the trend is more toward this type of vehicle. Even Ford softened the venerable Explorer to be more cruiser than bruiser and sales are up significantly as a result.

Last edited by speedflex; 01-12-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 09:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Nissan does its thing well.. yes, it looks like Highlander and yes it should not be called Pathfinder.
But it will sell better than before.

I do feel sad for people who buy Nissan thinking it is japanese car. My Nissan is half french, and my A/C is about to go out at 3 years old, which is f. crazy and never would happen with japanese a/c (but it does with all of french ones).
Old 01-12-12, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Nissan's days are doomed.
in other news, nissan altima was the second best selling sedan in the country last month.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6925089-post31.html
Old 01-12-12, 09:23 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I do feel sad for people who buy Nissan thinking it is japanese car. My Nissan is half french, and my A/C is about to go out at 3 years old, which is f. crazy and never would happen with japanese a/c (but it does with all of french ones).
My Cousin works for a major parts supplier, who supplies Ford, Toyota and Nissan your car is not french parts do vary but most of the AC components look identical from Toyota to Nissan, guess luck was not on your side granted the overall quality of cars is pretty ****ty compared to previous gens, compared to 2 generations ago, japanese cars are built like crappy domestic cars
Old 01-12-12, 10:02 AM
LexFather

It was horrible the only SUV I drove worse was the last gen QX56. Toyota has stayed true to the 4-runner by keeping it a real truck while offering the Highlander. The 4Runner still sells well. Nissan has abandoned this market since the Pathfinder is now Highlander competition and they already have the Murano. They have proven they can sell cars at the same price to people aimed at different markets. We cannot blame them for chasing sales but sadly they are telling 4x4 buyers to **** off.

Its another example of a car company taking a name and just slapping it on something/anything they want. Surely this will be a good SUV but naming it "Pathfinder" does shame that legendary name.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in other news, nissan altima was the second best selling sedan in the country last month.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6925089-post31.html
It also includes Altima coupes

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My Cousin works for a major parts supplier, who supplies Ford, Toyota and Nissan your car is not french parts do vary but most of the AC components look identical from Toyota to Nissan, guess luck was not on your side granted the overall quality of cars is pretty ****ty compared to previous gens, compared to 2 generations ago, japanese cars are built like crappy domestic cars
Renault owns what 48% or Nissan and Nissan owns what 12% of Renault. They joined together not to be separate but to share parts. The strategy seems to work since and since Renault bought Nissan, Nissan has fared much better than when it was not owned by Renault.

Nissan also just announced that Nissan will build new Mercedes Benz 4 cylinders in America for Infiniti and Mercedes vehicles.

Now that is just interestingly global

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over