Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 10:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My Cousin works for a major parts supplier, who supplies Ford, Toyota and Nissan your car is not french parts do vary but most of the AC components look identical from Toyota to Nissan, guess luck was not on your side granted the overall quality of cars is pretty ****ty compared to previous gens, compared to 2 generations ago, japanese cars are built like crappy domestic cars
unfortunately my AC is not produced by Denso but some french company... remember i am in europe. and yes my mechanic told me most of them fail in first 3-4 years.
Old 01-12-12, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
The market for true off-roaders is shrinking. How many Raptors are sold in a year? Nissan isn't to blame for softening Pathfinder, the market simply seemed to ask for it and they responded.
You are so right. The market is what determined this move, believe it or not, the Pathfinder does not really compete with the Highlander from Toyota, it has always competed with the Jeep GC, Ford Explorer, GMC Jimmy/Blazer/Envoy and of course the Toyota 4Runner. Unlike Toyota, Nissan does not have the worldwide demand to keep the the vehicle on a body on frame design like the 4Runner.

I am glad Nissan has done this, the Durango, Explorer have both become body on frame designs.
Old 01-12-12, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are so right. The market is what determined this move, believe it or not, the Pathfinder does not really compete with the Highlander from Toyota, it has always competed with the Jeep GC, Ford Explorer, GMC Jimmy/Blazer/Envoy and of course the Toyota 4Runner. Unlike Toyota, Nissan does not have the worldwide demand to keep the the vehicle on a body on frame design like the 4Runner.

I am glad Nissan has done this, the Durango, Explorer have both become body on frame designs.
Ooops!! He-he!! I meant that they have moved on from their body on frame designs.
Old 01-12-12, 01:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
unfortunately my AC is not produced by Denso but some french company... remember i am in europe. and yes my mechanic told me most of them fail in first 3-4 years.
What do you drive, I was thinking the only possible way it could be French was if your in Europe
Old 01-12-12, 01:56 PM
nikko2jzge
Driver

I have a current generation Pathfinder and it has plenty of mojo. I was hoping that Nissan would take the Grand Cherokee route with body construction and perhaps refine the 4.0 V6 while keeping a RWD based drivetrain. I hate that the era of body on frame the midsize suv is shrinking.
Old 01-12-12, 06:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Could not disagree more. And so it is now competing more directly against Highlander.. and this is bad how?
Cannibalization. Nissan already has a midsize cuv...its called the Murano. Murano was supposed to go against the Highlander for years but obviously they failed at trying to capture that market.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Nissan does its thing well.. yes, it looks like Highlander and yes it should not be called Pathfinder.
But it will sell better than before.

I do feel sad for people who buy Nissan thinking it is japanese car. My Nissan is half french, and my A/C is about to go out at 3 years old, which is f. crazy and never would happen with japanese a/c (but it does with all of french ones).
Yeah agreed. Renaming would have been a better option if they're trying to reinvent themselves.
Old 01-12-12, 08:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Cannibalization. Nissan already has a midsize cuv...its called the Murano. Murano was supposed to go against the Highlander for years but obviously they failed at trying to capture that market.

Yeah agreed. Renaming would have been a better option if they're trying to reinvent themselves.
The Murano did not fail. It has done well for Nissan.
Old 01-13-12, 06:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Murano is a 5 seat vehicle while Highlander is available with 7 seats. Actually, Venza is Toyota's competitor to the Murano. Nissan has never had anything that goes head to head with Highlander. Fact.
Old 01-13-12, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Murano is a 5 seat vehicle while Highlander is available with 7 seats. Actually, Venza is Toyota's competitor to the Murano. Nissan has never had anything that goes head to head with Highlander. Fact.
Originally Posted by flipside909
Ryan (flipside) is correct. Though not as ultimately successful as the Highlander, the Murano was intended as the Highlander's closest Nissan competitor. As the Highlander is based on a Camry platform/drivetrain, the Murano was based on the Camry's direct competitor.....Altima.

Part of the Murano's problem, IMO, was its awkward, conventional styling, and the very poor, cost-cutting interior in the early versions. Interior-quality/hardware improved in later years, but the public just never got turned on to it as they did with the Highlander.
Old 01-13-12, 12:02 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ryan (flipside) is correct. Though not as ultimately successful as the Highlander, the Murano was intended as the Highlander's closest Nissan competitor. As the Highlander is based on a Camry platform/drivetrain, the Murano was based on the Camry's direct competitor.....Altima.
As I said. Nissan has never had anything that goes HEAD TO HEAD with the Highlander. Murano never did that because, as you said, it was only the closet thing Nissan had to that market. They truly didn't have anything in that segment and that's why this new Pathfinder has taken shape as it has.

7 passengers vs 5 is a significant difference. The Murano couldn't even be optioned to that configuration. At the same time, Toyota saw that it had nothing to fight the Murano on level terms and so the Venza was created.
Old 01-13-12, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Just heard the Xterra will stay B.O.F so Nissan can cater to that market still.

Old 01-14-12, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As I said. Nissan has never had anything that goes HEAD TO HEAD with the Highlander. Murano never did that because, as you said, it was only the closet thing Nissan had to that market. They truly didn't have anything in that segment and that's why this new Pathfinder has taken shape as it has.

7 passengers vs 5 is a significant difference. The Murano couldn't even be optioned to that configuration. At the same time, Toyota saw that it had nothing to fight the Murano on level terms and so the Venza was created.
OK, if you want to include all the technicalities, the Murano, to my knowledge, never sold a hybrid model in the U.S. market either, like the Highlander did.
Old 01-14-12, 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, originally the Murano and Highlander were both 5 passenger vehicles only. Toyota at a later date added 7 passenger option to the Highlander.
Old 01-14-12, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually, originally the Murano and Highlander were both 5 passenger vehicles only. Toyota at a later date added 7 passenger option to the Highlander.
2004 to be exact
Old 01-14-12, 07:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
2004 to be exact
Interesting. Murano's first model year was 2003, the same time Highlander went to 7 seats.

Last edited by speedflex; 01-14-12 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Nissan Pathfinder prepares to cross over