Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus considering U.S. production

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 07:08 AM
ARehman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they don't but it makes sense for the ES and RX to come here. But then again those are the two models I will never be considering. But the main reason I chose to buy a Lexus was because it was made in Japan. I just feel like quality standards in US production facilities will be lower and I don't see the US worker being nearly as dedicated and detail oriented as a German or Japanese worker. And if the UAW were ever to be involved I would have to jump shop for a BMW and get an extended warranty.
Old 12-17-11, 08:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ARehman
I hope they don't but it makes sense for the ES and RX to come here. But then again those are the two models I will never be considering. But the main reason I chose to buy a Lexus was because it was made in Japan. I just feel like quality standards in US production facilities will be lower and I don't see the US worker being nearly as dedicated and detail oriented as a German or Japanese worker. And if the UAW were ever to be involved I would have to jump shop for a BMW and get an extended warranty.
since when were germans known for their reliability?
Old 12-17-11, 08:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd just like to throw out there that our 99 Sienna was made in the US and for the most part it's been a terrific vehicle. It's never had any real issues(other than one door handle that my dad broke). Heaven forbid the day I have to work on it though....a transaxle engine in a minivan is no fun. It is at around 180,000 miles right now.

Location could have more to do with it even within the US. Just having been to different parts of the country, different people have different attitudes/work ethics, and this could be the reason some plants put out good vehicles, and others don't. Just an example, if they put up a plant in Pine Bluff, AR, I wouldn't trust one of those cars for 10 miles.
Old 12-17-11, 11:20 AM
2UR-FSXE
Driver School Candidate

I think it won't matter were Lexus are built. Lexus could open up a plant in Mexico and still sell. I work at a Lexus Dealer and when a customer comes in for service they always say that's the real reason they bought a Lexus. Customer Satisfaction at Service Department is what keeps customers coming back. That's just my opinion.
Old 12-17-11, 12:09 PM
ARehman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2UR-FSXE
I think it won't matter were Lexus are built. Lexus could open up a plant in Mexico and still sell. I work at a Lexus Dealer and when a customer comes in for service they always say that's the real reason they bought a Lexus. Customer Satisfaction at Service Department is what keeps customers coming back. That's just my opinion.
That and the quality of the car made me a Lexus customer in the first place. Although BMW and MB are really tempting me in recent years.
Old 12-17-11, 12:11 PM
ARehman
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
since when were germans known for their reliability?
Quite a few german cars are reliable, but not as reliable as Honda/Toyota products.
Old 12-17-11, 10:10 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
In my head, really?

Earlier this year, I got to tour one of Toyota's production lines at Motomachi. After personally witnessing what goes on at Toyota in Japan, I don't believe at all that American automotive production has the ability, the right mindset, or the necessary organizational and cultural values that all lead to better manufacturing and better processes in Japanese assembly plants. I don't believe the workers are good enough and I don't believe the management is good enough.

Additionally, one huge problem in moving production to the US is that some components will invariably become sourced from the US or in nearby countries. So now even third-party components could have quality issues based on production location, which in turn could be based on assembly location. After all, ever wonder why certain cars of the same model and MY get recalled, but not others? Take the now-infamous alleged faulty gas pedal recall. One of the pedal components specified during at least part of the recall was from a US-based supplier (sadly from CTS Corp, based near where I once lived in Indiana). Vehicles built in certain other countries, even of the same model and MY as the recalled vehicles, had pedal assemblies sourced from suppliers local to their assembly and were not recalled.

I have no problems with the desire for US production or being pro-US assembly, but it shouldn't be due to a misguided patriotism. The reality is that shifting production has many consequences.

Surely you don't actually believe this. Human error is the major cause of quality problems whether in engineering, production, or management.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that much of quality control is actually based on Toyota's production processes in Japan. Terms like JIT and jidoka, now understood in management throughout the world, either originated from or were developed within Toyota. There's a reason why Porsche's Wiedeking went to Toyota to understand their production philosophy so he could turn his then-fledgling company around. Without getting too technical, the importance of concepts like JIT/jidoka is that quality control occurs at both the organizational and the individual level. The right values have to exist both structurally and individually.

The simple reality is that, while quality is at least partially a function of the organization, it still requires individual input. Visible and understandable standards might be a responsibility at the organizational level, but it still is up to individuals to seek out, understand, and report issues so that systemic problems can be eradicated. If the individuals in the assembly process do not possess the right organizational or cultural values, then the processes will suffer and products they make will not have the same quality as products assembled by individuals who do.

I also already mentioned above that inconsistencies exist in parts sourced from different geographical areas. If there was truly no difference in how components are assembled to spec, then there would not be problems only affecting vehicles with components sourced only from specific plants.
Some very good points and I strongly agree. A big-big factor for me purchasing a Lexus is the fact that they are made in Japan to strict specifications. For me, growing up during the 80's, "Made In Japan" meant quality. I feel that most American workers severly lack the mindset, dedication, and work-ethic that is needed to build such vehicles. Most of them are only concerned about their paychecks, not pride in their work. When I go on a Nissan/Infinity or a Toyota/Lexus lot I look for vehicles that are either made in Japan with Japanese sourced parts, or look for vehicles where the components are mostly Japanese, especially the engine/transmission.

I hope Lexus does not move production over to the States. However, if it does,I think its top-of-the line models, especially the LS should always be made in Japan for various reasons.
Old 12-18-11, 10:37 AM
ARehman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Some very good points and I strongly agree. A big-big factor for me purchasing a Lexus is the fact that they are made in Japan to strict specifications. For me, growing up during the 80's, "Made In Japan" meant quality. I feel that most American workers severly lack the mindset, dedication, and work-ethic that is needed to build such vehicles. Most of them are only concerned about their paychecks, not pride in their work. When I go on a Nissan/Infinity or a Toyota/Lexus lot I look for vehicles that are either made in Japan with Japanese sourced parts, or look for vehicles where the components are mostly Japanese, especially the engine/transmission.

I hope Lexus does not move production over to the States. However, if it does,I think its top-of-the line models, especially the LS should always be made in Japan for various reasons.
I agree completely with both of you. My sister bought a brand new 07 civic and now the car is falling apart and just feels so cheap. It was made here and I suspect that has a lot to do with it.
Old 12-19-11, 05:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
In my head, really?

Earlier this year, I got to tour one of Toyota's production lines at Motomachi. After personally witnessing what goes on at Toyota in Japan, I don't believe at all that American automotive production has the ability, the right mindset, or the necessary organizational and cultural values that all lead to better manufacturing and better processes in Japanese assembly plants. I don't believe the workers are good enough and I don't believe the management is good enough.

Additionally, one huge problem in moving production to the US is that some components will invariably become sourced from the US or in nearby countries. So now even third-party components could have quality issues based on production location, which in turn could be based on assembly location. After all, ever wonder why certain cars of the same model and MY get recalled, but not others? Take the now-infamous alleged faulty gas pedal recall. One of the pedal components specified during at least part of the recall was from a US-based supplier (sadly from CTS Corp, based near where I once lived in Indiana). Vehicles built in certain other countries, even of the same model and MY as the recalled vehicles, had pedal assemblies sourced from suppliers local to their assembly and were not recalled.

I have no problems with the desire for US production or being pro-US assembly, but it shouldn't be due to a misguided patriotism. The reality is that shifting production has many consequences.

Surely you don't actually believe this. Human error is the major cause of quality problems whether in engineering, production, or management.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that much of quality control is actually based on Toyota's production processes in Japan. Terms like JIT and jidoka, now understood in management throughout the world, either originated from or were developed within Toyota. There's a reason why Porsche's Wiedeking went to Toyota to understand their production philosophy so he could turn his then-fledgling company around. Without getting too technical, the importance of concepts like JIT/jidoka is that quality control occurs at both the organizational and the individual level. The right values have to exist both structurally and individually.

The simple reality is that, while quality is at least partially a function of the organization, it still requires individual input. Visible and understandable standards might be a responsibility at the organizational level, but it still is up to individuals to seek out, understand, and report issues so that systemic problems can be eradicated. If the individuals in the assembly process do not possess the right organizational or cultural values, then the processes will suffer and products they make will not have the same quality as products assembled by individuals who do.

I also already mentioned above that inconsistencies exist in parts sourced from different geographical areas. If there was truly no difference in how components are assembled to spec, then there would not be problems only affecting vehicles with components sourced only from specific plants.
Gengar....you showed pics of your rides, I have done the same..when one posts thoughts with not much factual backing and then makes excuses to post their entry level ride up, thats what one needs to know......don't frustrate yourself responding with experienced and factual based opinion...

You were told, an extremely valued member and moderator "its in your head". Wow.

Old 12-19-11, 05:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Guys keep this thread on the topic of "Lexus considering US production" please. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion or agree, and that's ok as long as its done politely, maturely and without the personal commentary (direct or underhanded).
Old 12-19-11, 06:11 AM
LexFather

Lexus should move all production to USA, maybe Canada and Mexico and be built by people in prisons using free labor. To save costs they should all be Yaris or Corolla based.

Hopefully we will be lucky enough to visit these new Lexus plants and hopefully they double as amusement parks and the worlds biggest Popeyes. That would be full of awesome!!

Old 12-19-11, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus should move all production to USA, maybe Canada and Mexico and be built by people in prisons using free labor.
Well, Mike, one part of the Lexus is built by prison labor.......the license plate.
Old 12-19-11, 09:27 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2UR-FSXE
I agree that responsive, customer-service-oriented employees is very important to the Lexus brand. Thing is, I think it's a lot easier to have high customer satisfaction when the only reason a customer ever has to bring in the car is for a short regularly-scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-19-11, 09:44 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if they build the RX in Canada, they can probably build the ES in Kentucky alongside the Camry - or have 1 line at Toyota's plant in Canada dedicated for RX/ES production, and Corollas on the other.
Old 12-23-11, 11:07 AM
Trexus

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hello everyone,

I have been commenting in some of my posts in other threads that Lexus will move some production to the US.

Google Lexus and you will see a number of autosites commenting on this development.

One even quotes Lexus US chief Mark Templin that the decision was complex.

Well fellas, I stand by my comments that Lexus will start building Lexus vehicles in the US.
I still doubt Lexus will bring Lexus production to the U.S. anytime soon. The RX is the highest selling vehicle and some of it's production is in Canada.

Let's look at Lexus U.S. sales from January through November 2011:

RX 71,087
ES 35,991
IS 26,040
CT 12,122
GX 10,390
LS 8,512
GS 3,552
LX 2,843
HS 2,590
LFA 52
SC 18

Total 173,197

Most likely worldwide sales are roughly 350,000 which includes the U.S. and this is from January through November 2011.

As one can see the RX sells twice that of the ES. If the ES were to double in sales then Lexus would consider building the ES in the Canadian plant since it's already geared towards Lexus production and not Toyota production.

It's safe to assume Lexus will still continue to manufacture most Lexus vehicles in Japan with the expection of some RX's built in Canada...

Quick Reply: Lexus considering U.S. production