Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus considering U.S. production

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lexus considering U.S. production

Hello everyone,

I have been commenting in some of my posts in other threads that Lexus will move some production to the US.

Google Lexus and you will see a number of autosites commenting on this development.

One even quotes Lexus US chief Mark Templin that the decision was complex.

Well fellas, I stand by my comments that Lexus will start building Lexus vehicles in the US.
Old 12-10-11, 09:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

"Jill", in the future some links might be helpful rather than just telling fellow members to google Lexus.

Here's one on the topic:

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...azines_fortune
Lexus: Made in America?

December 6, 2011: 12:44 PM ET

Squeezed by the the Yen and competitors, Toyota is considering doing something it has long resisted out of pride: making more tony Lexus vehicles in the USA.

By Doron Levin, contributor

FORTUNE -- As Toyota Motor Corp. readies its new Lexus GS luxury car for export to the U.S. in early 2012, the company's chief executive is raising the possibility that more Toyota production will move outside Japan.

The strong yen, which has risen 9% in the past six months alone, is making the economics of building cars -- especially compacts -- in Japanese factories increasingly difficult. That could eventually make building luxury vehicles -- which deliver the fattest profit margins and have provided manufacturers the most leeway in terms of where they are made -- more complicated. Squeezed by currency, emboldened competitors and a changing market, Toyota (TM) is considering doing something it has long resisted out of pride: moving more of its luxury brand manufacturing offshore.

So far Akio Toyoda has is hinting at moving only compact-car production outside the U.S., as well as buying more parts manufactured outside the country. But Lexus production, which is aimed mostly at U.S. buyers could be another category targeted for a move. Two of Lexus's three German competitors have expanded production of Mercedes-Benz and BMW models in the U.S. Volkswagen AG's Audi subsidiary is studying the possibility of U.S. production.

More than mere economics are in play. "I'm sitting on the fence," said Mark Templin, head of Toyota's Lexus brand in the U.S. "This is a complex decision that would come from Japan. But we could build more Lexuses here." Templin said Toyota's "pride," which stems from manufacturing its most prestigious models in its home country, would be difficult to overcome if it decides to shift more Lexus models overseas.

Jeff Schuster, senior vice president for LMC Automotive, a forecasting company based in Troy, Michigan, said Toyota may be looking at a shift to North America "as a hedge for both currency fluctuations as well as external disruptions and disasters. I think it is something they are considering across the Toyota group." Because many Toyota-branded models are already amde here, increased production would likely skew towards Lexus however.

For the moment the most convenient place to move Lexus from a logistics standpoint, if such a decision was considered, would be North America, where the vast majority of the cars are sold. Cars built on this side of the Pacific would instantly be more profitable, on an exchange-rate basis, and could be delivered to customers faster.
Templin declined to disclose a price yet for the new GS, which is designed to compete with Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 Series and Audi 6. At a press event in Las Vegas on Nov. 30, Templin said the GS will represent a "value" compared to the competition, implying that it will sell for less than comparably-equipped competitors. The E-Class starts at $50,490, the 5 Series at $46,700 and the A6 at $41,700.

To undercut the competition on price, while its costs are denominated in yen, will mean that Toyota may have to accept narrower profits than the company has historically earned. Toyoda has announced the goal of achieving a 5% operating profit for the company, which is lower than its historical average and half the 10% it was able to earn in fiscal 2004 when it was roaring towards dominance.

All Lexus vehicles currently are built in Toyota's plants in Kyushu and Tahara, Japan, except for the RX crossover, which is built in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. According to J.D. Power & Associates, Lexus sold 376,221 vehicles worldwide in 2010, 83% of which were built in Japan. BMW built 81% of the 1.16 million vehicles it sold in Germany; Mercedes built 84% of its 1.3 million in worldwide sales in Germany.

For Toyota's financial performance to rebound, a broader global consumer base for Lexus is essential. The brand is barely two decades old and must contend with reinvigorated German luxury franchises, which have copied tricks, like white-glove treatment by dealers, that the Japanese used to put Lexus on the map in the first place.

Templin said Lexus dealers in the U.S. now must redouble efforts to increase customer satisfaction beyond the upscale waiting rooms, loaner cars, latte bars and flat-screen TVs in which they've invested. He declined to say what exactly that might look like. "I will tell you this: the most valuable thing in the lives of our customers is their time."
Old 12-10-11, 09:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I see no reason not to try building at least some Lexus models here. Workers and managers at both the Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN plants (where some Subarus are also built) have shown that they can turn out reliable, well-made Camrys. True, some 2006 and newer Camrys have had some reliabilty issues, but, for the most part, that's not the fault of the plant-workers. And, since several Lexus ES and RX models are based on Camry platforms, that, IMO, is the obvious the place to start.
Old 12-10-11, 10:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see no reason not to try building at least some Lexus models here. Workers and managers at both the Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN plants (where some Subarus are also built) have shown that they can turn out reliable, well-made Camrys. True, some 2006 and newer Camrys have had some reliabilty issues, but, for the most part, that's not the fault of the plant-workers. And, since several Lexus ES and RX models are based on Camry platforms, that, IMO, is the obvious the place to start.
just because a car is based on camry platform doesnt make it the obvious place to start though. it is the interior and various fit and finish that is most discerning and such factors have no bearing on what platforms they are based on
with that said, most of NA's RX are made in Canada already, and the plant is known to be very good quality as well and is already benefiting from the economics of NA production

where they need to start is the IS
and eventually see if making hybrids make sense in NA, such as CT200H to increase production rate

and of course, sourcing parts is still a big roadblock of the expansion plan
Old 12-10-11, 11:44 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since RX and ES are the 2 big sellers, those would be the most likely candidates for N. American production.

Personally, I only like the Lexus models that do not share U.S. Toyota platforms. Which are limited to the IS, GS, and LS. SUV wise, I would just get the Highlander, 4Runner or the Land Cruiser instead of the RX, GX, or the LX.
Old 12-10-11, 11:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't like the idea....at all i have a canadian made rx and while its good, not nearly as well made as the japanese es300 i have from 2001 or lx from 2002
Old 12-11-11, 06:09 AM
Endika
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working at firestone and driving and workibg on cars. A lot of the japanese manufactuers that started producing cars in the US ive notice a serious downgrade in quality especially with Hondas/Acuras maybe Toyota/Lexus will do better
Old 12-11-11, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=UberNoob;6874978]just because a car is based on camry platform doesnt make it the obvious place to start though. it is the interior and various fit and finish that is most discerning and such factors have no bearing on what platforms they are based on
with that said, most of NA's RX are made in Canada already, and the plant is known to be very good quality as well and is already benefiting from the economics of NA production

where they need to start is the IS
and eventually see if making hybrids make sense in NA, such as CT200H to increase production rate

and of course, sourcing parts is still a big roadblock of the expansion plan[/QUOTEi]

I agree with you, it makes no difference if the Camry is base for the ES etc.

In fact, you can actually pick up the tools, parts, and workers and plant it anywhere and make it work if you want to. Its all blue prints, tools, and planning.

I think we'll see Lexus fill the production gaps somewhere.
Old 12-11-11, 08:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I dont see why not... more the better.
Old 12-11-11, 10:04 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't trust American production, not for one second. I also feel that most Lexus faithful reject American production.

I can see some of the cheaper models, like the ES, move to America especially if the yen continues to stay strong relative to the dollar and other currencies - however, I'm confident Lexus will keep the rest of their production in Japan.

If Lexus continues to produce sport-oriented vehicles, I would still prefer production to stay in Japan, but I wouldn't be as opposed to moving to a quality manufacturer like Valmet in Uusikaupunki
Old 12-11-11, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't trust American production, not for one second. I also feel that most Lexus faithful reject American production.

I can see some of the cheaper models, like the ES, move to America especially if the yen continues to stay strong relative to the dollar and other currencies - however, I'm confident Lexus will keep the rest of their production in Japan.

If Lexus continues to produce sport-oriented vehicles, I would still prefer production to stay in Japan, but I wouldn't be as opposed to moving to a quality manufacturer like Valmet in Uusikaupunki
same here. to be honest i am not a very big fan of the rx350 being made in canada already. it could be me but i already saw some difference between that and the rxh made in japan. if i buy a lexus, a big factor would be it being made in japan. otherwise it gives me that much more incentives to consider other brands
Old 12-11-11, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar

That's all in your head. We have had many Toyota's made in America and they have always performed just like the Japan made models.
Old 12-11-11, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
same here. to be honest i am not a very big fan of the rx350 being made in canada already. it could be me but i already saw some difference between that and the rxh made in japan. if i buy a lexus, a big factor would be it being made in japan. otherwise it gives me that much more incentives to consider other brands
So what differences have you noticed? The RXh is not made in Canada.
Old 12-11-11, 11:35 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I just told my dad about this and he said if it does happen, he doesn't plan on buying it. This is the main reason he bought the es over the avalon originally and the lx over the sequoia. The rx was supposed to be a lease and he onl reason we didn't turn it in for a gs was because it was to small. There really is a difference between those made in japan and elsewhere, same goes for german cars. Look at the Mercedes ML, when it came out in 98 built in alabama i believe, it was a nightmare of a vehicle. I guess the ones in europe were much less prone to reliability issues
Old 12-11-11, 02:01 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I think US production might be suitable for the ES and RX, since those core customers wouldn't be as picky as say someone buying and IS, GS or LS.

Quick Reply: Lexus considering U.S. production