Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX concept, ILX sedan, 2013 RDX coming to Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 04:37 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Although I don't exactly love that styling I'm glad the Honda is going toward that rather than the failed version earlier concept designs. That large silver strip around the front and side of the car looks bothersome. It looks like it got taped up with silver stripe. Looks kinda like Robocop face to me. But I do like the styling of the front hood and bumper. Like the side doors too. It seems Acura likes heading autobot direction. Hmm..

If those were the headlights then they would look amazing in that position.
Old 12-12-11, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by meowCat
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Although I don't exactly love that styling I'm glad the Honda is going toward that rather than the failed version earlier concept designs. That large silver strip around the front and side of the car looks bothersome. It looks like it got taped up with silver stripe. Looks kinda like Robocop face to me. But I do like the styling of the front hood and bumper. Like the side doors too. It seems Acura likes heading autobot direction. Hmm..

Ha ha! Good to hear. I suppose the Honda / Acura is finally starting to listen? Mid engine is an absolute must for the NSX.

That's good to hear. Agreed, the car can be a little longer with more finished longer rear end which is vital for tracking performance needs. Looks cooler too.

Me too. Let's hope they stick with their intended plan on the MR engine... If they can get the car to about 3100 lbs we will be in business! That's about 700 lbs lighter than the Nissan GTR and can give it a real good run at the road course circuits.

That looks too Audi R8-like. The NSX needs to be recognizable as an NSX like UDEL pointed out.
It is the exact same engine. They just dropped the RDX turbo to use the old 3.5. The NSX will get the new 3.5 with DI finally and hybrid power ala Lexus 7 years ago. Likely mounted longitudinally so it fits and can be mid-engined.

I think it can work and its great to see them attempt a sporty hybrid, something I've endorsed for years( and find it funny after all the bashing Honda boys gave here they are doing what Lexus has done lol) but they should maybe name it MSX and not NSX so people don't have false expectations like how they led people on with the CRX to CR-Z disaster and everything else.

Gotdamn they are clueless

Peaks and valleys
American Honda hopes this philosophy can stabilize Acura's sales, which have peaked twice--once in the early 1990s and again in setting a brand record in 2005, at 209,610 units. But each time things fell apart because of ill-conceived products and faulty marketing--not to mention the recent recession. This year, sales through November were down 7 percent to 110,170. Honda says short supplies caused by the March earthquake in Japan were a factor.
For a new crop of customers, Honda is looking at Generation Y. The leading edge of that generation is turning 30, and Honda says the generation's top priorities are exterior styling, price and environmental friendliness.
"A good sound system" finished fifth in its research, and less than 20 percent care about high performance, Honda says.
"Technology is only as good as the driver," said Gary Evert, division director for advanced automotive planning at Acura r&d. "The vehicle almost always has more capability than the driver can handle. Anything outside the customer's understanding is waste."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1gLFRvPzS
So they have a technology campaign even though their cars are the least advanced compared to luxury brands. Then they basically blame drivers for getting in the way of said technology. Meanwhile they are counting on Generation Y who seem to think of cars as appliances.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-12-11 at 11:21 PM.

Old 12-13-11, 03:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is the exact same engine. They just dropped the RDX turbo to use the old 3.5. The NSX will get the new 3.5 with DI finally and hybrid power ala Lexus 7 years ago. Likely mounted longitudinally so it fits and can be mid-engined.

I think it can work and its great to see them attempt a sporty hybrid, something I've endorsed for years( and find it funny after all the bashing Honda boys gave here they are doing what Lexus has done lol) but they should maybe name it MSX and not NSX so people don't have false expectations like how they led people on with the CRX to CR-Z disaster and everything else.
You don't know anything about what exactly is going in the next NSX, nobody does yet but it will not be the exact same engine/power plant going in the RL from what has been suggested from multiple sources. People at Honda during a closed door revealing were quoted as saying the engine going into the RL was not potent enough for the new NSX. Honda has always used a unique engine in their sports cars NSX/S2000 not shared with lesser models. The exact engine going in a luxury sedan would not be suitable or in a smaller sports car anyway. At the very least It is going to get different/higher tuning and technology for a sports car over what is going into a sedan.

The engine going into the next RDX has not be confirmed although it will likely get some kind of V6 and also a possible hybrid.

The NSX engine is not going to be the same as what Lexus has, it will be very different. The Lexus system uses a CVT where the NSX will use a DSG, Lexus does not use two separate motors for the rear wheels or 3 all together like the new Honda system, etc. Honda offered a V6 hybrid in the Accord in 2004 as a 2005 model before Lexus got a V6 hybrid anyway.

"Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously."

Last edited by UDel; 12-13-11 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 12:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No mention of the failing ZDX. They will need to cross that bridge soon.
Old 12-14-11, 10:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
You don't know anything about what exactly is going in the next NSX, nobody does yet but it will not be the exact same engine/power plant going in the RL from what has been suggested from multiple sources. People at Honda during a closed door revealing were quoted as saying the engine going into the RL was not potent enough for the new NSX. Honda has always used a unique engine in their sports cars NSX/S2000 not shared with lesser models. The exact engine going in a luxury sedan would not be suitable or in a smaller sports car anyway. At the very least It is going to get different/higher tuning and technology for a sports car over what is going into a sedan.

The engine going into the next RDX has not be confirmed although it will likely get some kind of V6 and also a possible hybrid.

The NSX engine is not going to be the same as what Lexus has, it will be very different. The Lexus system uses a CVT where the NSX will use a DSG, Lexus does not use two separate motors for the rear wheels or 3 all together like the new Honda system, etc. Honda offered a V6 hybrid in the Accord in 2004 as a 2005 model before Lexus got a V6 hybrid anyway.

"Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously."
If I don't know about the NSX I do know over a decade you support failure and are attracted to 8th best barely luxury brand. Someone has to go for the Clippers I guess. I have been nearly 100% accurate about them for over a decade. They have proven my posts right year after year.

NSXPrime calls it the Acura "Meh" and the NSY? They have basterdized the NSX name to save the face of sad fanbois holding on to the 1990s. We have heard everything from Accord based. It will likely use all existing parts since they don't have the money, intent or engineering to produce something on par with the LFA, 599 GTO, Aventendor etc. They teased us and even said "oh the NSX willl be faster than the GTR and LFA" and now we get something just because. I honestly think they should just rename it, using the NSX name is wrong as this has nothing in common with the NSX. However this is expected since Acura doesn't know anything about the luxury realm after 25 years.

Acura continues to go backwards and presenting it as news making some of their less smart fanbois happy. The smart ones understand this is complete bull****. The RDX will basically be a V-6 CR-V. It loses SH AWD. It loses the turbo. The only things that kept it unique are gone. The main hings that separated it from a Honda are gone.

I don't care what you are jolly about Honda adding, the basics are from Lexus. A 3.5 V-6 with a hybrid powertrain. They will add DSG and AWD. Good for them, it could work out great. Its still the same basic formula Lexus offered 7 years ago, a formula you hate for Lexus. Now you might support it for Honda? Lexus has led the way with luxury hybrids since 2006 and here is late Acura bringing a hybrid Civic ILX, a GS 450h wannabe RL and NSX hybrid. Late again. Its funny the bashing Lexus got from those same fanbois now have to eat crow since Acura finally will offer hybrids.

There is a lot of room for a Japanese Buick. Acura and Buick can succeed in their sub luxury niches. There is NOTHING wrong with that. They still have a very loyal Honda base who will be happy to pay extra for Honda plus.