Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TIRERACK loses a customer over $24.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 06:10 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Actually TIRERACK's web site is fabulous if you are serious about researching tire purchases. I admit feeling a little unethical about using their site for research then buying from DiscountTire. Sort of like spending 2 hours with a car salesman learning all about what car to buy, then Internet shopping and saving $200 across town. But since the site is free and automated, I guess it's ok.
Old 12-14-11, 07:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Actually TIRERACK's web site is fabulous if you are serious about researching tire purchases. I admit feeling a little unethical about using their site for research then buying from DiscountTire. Sort of like spending 2 hours with a car salesman learning all about what car to buy, then Internet shopping and saving $200 across town. But since the site is free and automated, I guess it's ok.
I know how you feel, but that information is readily available for all, and if they really wanted everyone's business, they would just price match anyone's price. If Tirerack price matched any competitors pricing, i'm sure they would get a lot more customers who actually buy from their site instead of just using it for viewing information.

It's like the Best Buy vs. Amazon thing....a lot of people will go to stores like Best Buy just to see an item and everything, but if the price is better online, a lot of people will just order online and avoid the tax as well.

It's not really unethical on your part, its competition. It's what keeps prices down for consumers like us in the end

This topic is a whole other debate tho lol
Old 12-14-11, 07:48 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a fan/customer of TR for a long time. DT had very close prices - BUT because they have stores in IL, I'll get charged tax. The out-the-door price for TR is always lower... and since one of their warehouses is right over the border in Indiana - I get the tires in usually one business day for the standard rate.

As mentioned, the info found on TR's website is top notch. That being said - I'd probably still go with them even if the difference was less than $50 since the whole purchase experience is always so smooth.
Old 12-14-11, 08:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For a $24 difference I would stick with tire rack. But their pricing has been off recently.

I am looking to buy some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my new 550i M-Sport. The price difference between Tire Rack and Tread Depot is $200 for a set of tires. That is a ridiculous difference. And also we need some new Goodyear Comfortrred's for our EX35 and the price difference on those is $130.

So I am probably going to buy from Tread Depot. I would pay more to buy from tire rack because the service is great, but paying over $100 more is crazy - I can get tire insurance for that price.
Old 12-14-11, 08:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In the end it was only $24. I would go with whoever is more convenient. In this case , and in most, Discount tire is the cheapest, most convenient, they match prices online, and if there is an issue with a tire you dont want to mail a tire back. In the end you got a better price with the better company. I never understood people ordering tires ( or wheels) online. If there is an issue it will blow up in your face.
I disagree with you. When I had an issue with radial pull on my Michelin tires after about 9 months,, Tire Rack arranged a warranty replacement and it was very easy. I think most local tire shops wouldn't help you and tell you to just buy a new set.
Old 12-15-11, 07:09 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like TR and DT have entirely different business models. TR being an online store can offer a superior deal but has to charge shipping and you get to cover installation on your own hook. My experience with TR has been excellent, having purchased struts, shocks and a few other items there, but they are not (nor does their type of warehouse business require that they be) highly customer oriented, particularly when it comes to complaints. They are strictly vendors, albeit great ones.

DT has to deal with the customer face-to-face, and there customer satisfaction is critical. While they don't always offer the best deal on tires, but at the bottom line, they are highly competitive. When it comes to service, they have a responsibility to take care of the customer in order to earn their repeat business. That model may not be so critical for a warehouse store who is going to have difficulty resolving a customer issue from half-a-continent away. That would be a large expense and a real hassle for them, and I understand why they might not be as responsive as the tire shop at the end of your block.

As any business has to decide, do they want to be known for technology, service, price, or any other specific market advantage. One will have to come from some sacrifice in the others.
Old 12-15-11, 07:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Lil4X, you misunderstand. DT does have stores, but not in most places. The nearest one to me is 200 miles away. I and others are comparing their online service to TireRacks online service. It's complete apples to apples
Old 12-15-11, 10:28 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious (as I've never dealt with them), does DT offer to ship to an authorized installer of your choice? Will they help you match rolling diameter if you go with a different size rim? Do they sell rims, and if so, will they mount and balance before shipping? Do they do comparison tests on tires?

I've never had anything but a positive customer experience with TireRack, and have had them do all of the above for me (or at least made use of the available info provided on the site). You could have just gotten someone having a bad day, or who is just a plain a-hole. But in the end, the customer experience YOU receive is what is gonna steer you to/from a particular business... as well as who you'll recommend to others (word of mouth is powerful marketing after all)
Old 12-15-11, 10:38 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

They'll ship to an installer. As to whether they do the other stuff you ask about, I dunno!
Old 12-15-11, 11:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I disagree with you. When I had an issue with radial pull on my Michelin tires after about 9 months,, Tire Rack arranged a warranty replacement and it was very easy. I think most local tire shops wouldn't help you and tell you to just buy a new set.
I guess I am a one stop shop kind of guy. I would never want to have to coordinate like that.To much of a hassle. I also have a discount tire less than 200 yards from my office and about 2 miles from my home so I pretty much only use TR for the reviews
Old 12-15-11, 11:20 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess I am a one stop shop kind of guy. I would never want to have to coordinate like that.To much of a hassle. I also have a discount tire less than 200 yards from my office and about 2 miles from my home so I pretty much only use TR for the reviews
I find the coordination is not an issue.

Order from Tire Rack. Ship to Lexus dealer. Go to Lexus dealer and get tires mounted. I don't even need to tell the dealer I am sending them tires, they figure it out by the fact that it is shipped to me, c/o service advisor name.
Old 12-15-11, 11:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats pretty cool that its sent to the dealership and they take care of it. I had no idea that was even possible
Old 12-15-11, 12:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like small claims court, it's not about the money. It's about the principle. And I love how people are so passionate about the principle.

You (and TireRack) set a value, a price, for customer service. Both you and TireRack set a value of $24 that was not worth the effort. It wasn't worth it for you (to pay $24), and it wasn't worth it for them (to provide $24 worth of service for you).

Both partied made the agreement.

The world continues to spin...
Old 12-15-11, 12:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't dealers charge more the mount them?
Old 12-15-11, 12:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Don't dealers charge more the mount them?
Most if not all installers do anyway because you didn't buy the tires from them.
Still worth it in most cases.

Quick Reply: TIRERACK loses a customer over $24.