Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TIRERACK loses a customer over $24.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 10:01 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I my opinion, TIRERACK was foolish with me about 10 days ago. (In case you guys working there read this). I recently bot 4 new GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORTTREAD tires for my 2006 RX330. About an $800 sale, give or take. TIRERACK "sticker" prices are a bit lower than an often suggested competitor, DISCOUNTTIRE.COM. But since DISCOUNTTIRE.COM prices theirs with free shipping, the total cost for 4 tires was lower by $24 vs TIRERACK.

I first called TireRack, because I've dealt with them before and was unsure about what the experience would be with DT. I told TR that I'd buy the tires from them if they met the DT price. The guy quickly, forcefully and unwaiveringly said "we do not cut our prices, ever". So I thanked him and ordered from DT. The tires came quickly like they do from TR and next time I won't even bother if DT is still cheaper. Tire Rack lost a customer over 24 bucks. My observation is that they could continue to get the prices they get but should not be adverse to playing "let's make a deal" with people like me who can provide them with bona fide lower pricing elsewhere.

At the very least, the salesman should have tried to remind me how great TIRERACK service is and whatever other advantages they provide (their web site is better, IMHO, for instance) etc. For $24, I MIGHT have stuck around. But the guy had such an attitude that someone would even think to shop around that I just figured, the heck with them.
I've bought from both companies and they're both great companies. I've bought wheels and accessories, sometimes they both took stuff back when it was past the return date. Both are good but for you to get antsy over $24 is RIDICULOUS. As a shopper ofcourse everyone wants the best deal and that you have to understand at times companies will have "Special incentive" like FREE SHIPPING and sometimes they don't.. $24 is negligible.. if you are willing to WRITE OFF Tire Rack because of the FREE Shipping of another company which translate to a $24 difference shows you're an IMMATURE Buyer.. IF I worked for Tire Rack, I would probably tell you the same.. its $24 my god , i can't believe someone would argue over shipping because the other company had free shipping that equated to a $24 dollar difference. If you are in dire offensive over this little money for tires maybe you shouldn't own a car. You know, I bought my share of Rims and tires and to me I rather pay alittle more if it was more convenient for me and/or knowing I will get the highest quality service/equipment. Think about this before writing off a company over a few bucks.. WOW!

Originally Posted by J.P.
As I tell my customers, if all you care about is price, you're not our kind of customer anyway.
You are right sir! Price is not everything.. Service, Availability and quality of goods and services are worth paying alittle more for..
Old 12-17-11, 03:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
You are right sir! Price is not everything.. Service, Availability and quality of goods and services are worth paying alittle more for..

I agree!

Which is why I buy from discounttiredirect.com. They provide me tthe same service as tire rack, and generally have what I want in stock, plus their nearest warehouse is closer to me so I receive my tires within a day or two where as tire rack's shipment may take up to a week. Both places offer the exact same thing for me, so I go to wherever it costs me less, and that's usually Discount Tire Direct.

Two weeks ago, they were able to refund me a price difference (>$50) for a sale that came up AFTER I purchased the tires.

What's great about Tire Rack is their articles and reviews. It's my first resort for tire research.
Old 12-17-11, 07:26 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Granted, Orange County is a fairly affluent area, but until you've seen a customer bring in his Nissan GT-R...
I'm saying that often (not always) there IS value in paying a little more. Otherwise, we would all drive silver Chevy Malibus.
You obviously have had experience in the harsh world of retail. People often don't think about the high cost of operating a business and think that the consumer is always entitled to the best product, best service, best price. That's not reality.

There's a difference between price and value. I've been in business my entire life and I think people should support businesses they believe in. They may not sometimes have the best price, but if I like the company and their values, I'm willing to pay a little more to support them.
Old 12-18-11, 12:02 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to be one of those people who nickle and dime everything. Life is so much better when you're paying attention to better things in life. Many years ago when I was a teen I used to shop for gasoline and go to a place a mile away to save 2 cents/gallon but think about how much you're burning gas to get there... Just saying.

Having run a business before I cringe when people complain price is too high. It's like they want something for almost nothing.

I'm one of those people that will never buy tires online. I like to go to a physical location, see the tires I'm getting and get them mounted. I'm sure I can get better pricing online but tire shop I go to gives me good deals everytime.
Old 12-18-11, 01:37 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a Tire Rack customer, I love they're service on top of that DT don't have road hazard that tirerack has. Prices for my OEM tires seem to be the same +buck or 2. I like tirerack as it makes my research for tires a breeze and thats why they get my business. If the difference in price was $50+ I would consider DT but over a few bucks no way.
Old 12-18-11, 06:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I find Discount tire will match almost anywhere on the internet.

Use a site like Discountwheelwarehouse:
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ount_Tires.cfm

Tires are cheap on their site, print out the page with the tire info and price, take it to DT and they've never told me no.
In DT's favor, they have always shown awesome professionalism and i have never had the opportunity to defect to TR... Yet.
Old 12-18-11, 06:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
You obviously have had experience in the harsh world of retail. People often don't think about the high cost of operating a business and think that the consumer is always entitled to the best product, best service, best price. That's not reality.

There's a difference between price and value. I've been in business my entire life and I think people should support businesses they believe in. They may not sometimes have the best price, but if I like the company and their values, I'm willing to pay a little more to support them.
+1

As a SMB owner, I am totally with you.
Old 12-18-11, 04:37 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

First off, many good points here both for and against. I am a loyal DT customer because they earned my business - that is something I value. You take good care of me, I will be a good customer and you will see business from others because of me if that's possible. He who provides good customer service wins. I am not referring to online, because I go to the store - which is one mile from my home and across the street from my offices.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess I am a one stop shop kind of guy. I would never want to have to coordinate like that.To much of a hassle. I also have a discount tire less than 200 yards from my office and about 2 miles from my home so I pretty much only use TR for the reviews
Agree, but the idea that tires are a commodity is certainly true, too. If you can coordinate easily as Batman has demonstrated, it's worthwhile - except the dealers are farther from my house/offices .

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I moved on to Discount Tire and could not be happier. I find the prices to be as good, service to be completely outstanding and on another level. These guys call me to inform me of rebates and deals. They give me free reign to walk around the shop and even work on the car. I am 110% satisfied with Discount Tire.
Sounds like my local DT. You found a winner, and that's how it should be. That's a business and manager doing things the right way.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Actually my local installer told me he doesn't mind having a guy mount and balance tires all day from TR.
He gets a few bucks more per tire and says it's all labor good profit except for the weights and valves which are paid for by the customer.
Most TR installers inflate the mounting and balancing costs.
I disagree - they're not inflating the costs, they're simply not giving someone who doesn't buy the product a discounted price on the labor. Nothing wrong with that. Same thing with a lot of places - buy a radio here, get a discount on the harness, kit, etc.

Of course a good shop owner/manager plans for this and explains to the customer why, no, in fact we won't have two guys spend two hours on your car for $60 + parts.

You will get decent installation and service out of most Tire Rack recommended installers provided you have a bread & butter vehicle. If you have an Ultima or a Ferrari, or a GT-R, just don't expect to pay M&B pricing like that of a 1987 Taurus.
Agreed on both counts - and you shouldn't expect that since it does take more experience and knowledge to work on specialized vehicles. Time and knowledge is money - I spent it to learn, you spend it to get my services.

With the internet these days it is easy for people to shop on price and completely disregard service. That's all fine and good, but ultimately it will require a brick & mortar facility and trained, qualified people to actually DO WORK. Shops are disappearing left and right here in SoCal, in part due to a combination of the sluggish (to say the least) economy and huge DTD and Tire Rack companies that buy in HUGE quantities and sell at thin margins.

-Got a flat tire on a Sunday afternoon? Tire rack can help! (can they?)
-Need your tires rotated? Leave it to DTD!
-Have premature tire wear due to poor alignment? The guy at the online store can diagnose that for you over the internet, no problem.

Or, have fun getting your 911 Turbo tires installed at Oscar's used tires in Santa Ana...

I'm saying that often (not always) there IS value in paying a little more. Otherwise, we would all drive silver Chevy Malibus.
Hahahaha. I have to agree. My local DT isn't open on Sundays, but that's fine. And I don't really think it's the same thing to talk about the rotation or tire wear issues, since you'd have to get those done locally anyway. If you get the tires mounted and balance at Discount, you get free rebalance and rotations, AFAIK.

Definitely agree on getting more value many times when paying a bit more. I can get the local burrito shop to make some great chik'n enchis for $8, or I can hit the closer place for $7. I'd rather drive further and pay more because I get a nicer set of enchis and their beans are mo betta.

Originally Posted by bruce van

100% agree. My sign in my former shop: cheap, fast, good. Choose one. Also had the one that stated the price was the price. Very simple.

Originally Posted by KA8
I used to be one of those people who nickle and dime everything. Life is so much better when you're paying attention to better things in life. Many years ago when I was a teen I used to shop for gasoline and go to a place a mile away to save 2 cents/gallon but think about how much you're burning gas to get there... Just saying.

Having run a business before I cringe when people complain price is too high. It's like they want something for almost nothing.

I'm one of those people that will never buy tires online. I like to go to a physical location, see the tires I'm getting and get them mounted. I'm sure I can get better pricing online but tire shop I go to gives me good deals everytime.
I have no problem with people shopping around. I had a customer ask my if I would match BBY's price on a product (they could order it for him, but didn't have it in stock). I said no. He asked why and I pointed to the signs. I then explained that the techs were trained to know how to take the vehicle apart, check everything over and we guaranteed our work. We'd also take the time to show him how to use the product properly, integrate it in the most logical way, and make suggestions on upgrades that may come in handy if he wanted more down the road to save time and money since we would reduce the number of times we took the vehicle apart to do them. That's value (yes, he bought from me).

Originally Posted by chikoo
+1

As a SMB owner, I am totally with you.
Tough to argue. A business that is run by competent professionals will win out over one that is run by knuckle dragging idiots in the long run.

Big Mack
Old 12-19-11, 12:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

One more feather in DT's cap:

I took my Lexus RX to DT to replace tires after almost 4 years (Those Yokohama Geolander's are awesome)

Sadly the wheel lock was too tight since the tires were not rotated all these years and they had to break the lock to replace the wheels. After that, they called in another set of wheel locks from Lexus and replaced them on my RX, no charge.

What more can you expect from a top notch place?
Old 12-19-11, 12:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been a loyal DT customer for a long time, but I remember so many CL members clowning me back in the day because I used to order my wheels from them as well. Funny to see so many people who love them now.

I like DT because of the customer service and the fact that everyone working there seems like they are high on Prozac and caffeine . I go in there and the workers are literally singing and dancing. They always seem so up beat. The other reason I go is that half the staff are my previous patients. Its helps if you tip as well. I just had my wheels rebalanced twice on Friday ( still vibrating) and I tipped the tech and the manager each $20
Old 12-19-11, 10:01 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm lucky to live in a place with at least 2 Discount Tire retail shops. They have earned my business by providing exceptional service and reasonable prices. My tire purchase price includes lifetime balancing and rotation at no cost. When you include shipping and mounting charges, they match Tire Rack's online pricing in almost every case. Local tire purchase choices for me are Discount Tire or Costco and I prefer DT.
Steve
Old 12-20-11, 05:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would go to Discount Tire if they were in my area but use TR and have them shipped to a local shop I know .
I remember one problem with a Bridgestone Alenza tire I bought from TR back in '06 and I just went to a local Firestone/Bridgestone tire store and they replaced the tire.You have a the tire company's warranty.
A couple of weeks ago,I ordered a set of GY Assurance Comfort Touring for my son's Civic from TR.Good price and $80 rebate..
Old 10-29-12, 07:10 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

All I have to say is that TREAD DEPOT will match and beat ANYONE else's prices and make you proud to give your money to them with such awesome customer service, hands down!
Don't think you have the best deal out there until you call Sean or Andy. Tell them I sent you since I've been sending them so many others too!
Old 10-29-12, 11:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

10 month old thread.
I look online for prices so I have an idea and whatever reviews there may be. The local shops I've bought tires from have beat online prices. May not be much but even at $3-5 per, that buys some cheap eats or a bit of gas. And it supports the local guys.
Old 10-30-12, 04:33 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
As I tell my customers, if all you care about is price, you're not our kind of customer anyway.
+1
But I make sure to appreciate the customer by giving him/her a discount once the sale is made and not making my life miserable by haggling for discounts.