Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The rake of the windshield and stubby hood reminds me of the now defunct Saturn Vue

Old 12-20-11, 08:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Great Scot! They are installing venti-ports 'ONTOP' the hood! GM!! I was starting to respect you more, but this is a kick in the gut!
Old 12-20-11, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great Scot! They are installing venti-ports 'ONTOP' the hood! GM!! I was starting to respect you more, but this is a kick in the gut!

I agree they would look better in the more-traditional position on the front fenders. But, to me, even if they are on the hood, a Buick just isn't a Buick without them.

And the hood-position, BTW, didn't just start with this CUV. The new LaCrosse, Regal, and upcoming Verano all sport them on the hood.
Old 12-20-11, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The rake of the windshield and stubby hood reminds me of the now defunct Saturn Vue
Like the Regal, though, the VUE also comes from an Opel platform. As Mike (1SICKLEX) pointed out, it would not be surprising if Buick also used one for the CUV.
Old 12-20-11, 09:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like the Regal, though, the VUE also comes from an Opel platform. As Mike (1SICKLEX) pointed out, it would not be surprising if Buick also used one for the CUV.
It probably does, no problem with that. Opel has some great platforms. My concern was more pointed toward the overall design reverting back to "badge engineering" of past. I still have nightmares when I think of the:

Saab 9-7X
Buick Rainier
GMC Envoy
Chevrolet Trailblazer

quadruplets lol
Old 12-21-11, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

But most seniors don't care about responsive steering...they want the size and cushiness, and care little about anything else.
that's true, but *I* want them to have responsive steering so they don't crash into me.

as for size and shape, of course many senior buyers still want traditional barges but that's changing a lot too, with many buying CUVs instead because the higher seating position is a WORLD easier to get into and out of.
Old 12-21-11, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's true, but *I* want them to have responsive steering so they don't crash into me.
as for size and shape, of course many senior buyers still want traditional barges but that's changing a lot too, with many buying CUVs instead because the higher seating position is a WORLD easier to get into and out of.
Bingo!!! To reference a popular senior pastime.
Old 12-21-11, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Responsive steering does little good if the seniors behind the wheel no longer have the quick mental reactions to go along with it.

as for size and shape, of course many senior buyers still want traditional barges but that's changing a lot too.
It's not changing as much as many in the auto industry think. What is (likely) going to happen is that, because most of the latest-generation of vehicles just don't appeal much to seniors (they are too small and ride too stiffly) the used-car market for bigger, traditional American luxo-cruisers is going to expand significantly in the coming years. Good, clean, well-cared-for samples are going to be worth quite a bit.

In fact, we are already seeing that happen, to some extent, in the limo-rental industry with the Lincoln Town Car. They simply will not buy the Lincoln MKS....it's not big and cushy enough.
Old 12-21-11, 01:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

It's not changing as much as many in the auto industry think. What is (likely) going to happen is that, because most of the latest-generation of vehicles just don't appeal much to seniors (they are too small and ride too stiffly) the used-car market for bigger, traditional American luxo-cruisers is going to expand significantly in the coming years. Good, clean, well-cared-for samples are going to be worth quite a bit.

In fact, we are already seeing that happen, to some extent, in the limo-rental industry with the Lincoln Town Car. They simply will not buy the Lincoln MKS....it's not big and cushy enough.
living in retirement central (florida) i respectfully disagree, and the limo business has nothing to do with senior vehicle choices.

retirees who have barges like town cars and crown vics are likely keeping them until they die. but i'm seeing tons of retirees downsize from the barges to camrys, accords, sonatas, or smaller vehicles like the prius, corolla, civic, cobalt, etc., plus the cuvs like sorrentos, pilots are popular - much easier to get in and out of and much easier to load and unload the golf clubs and groceries, or the walker, wheelchair, etc.
Old 12-21-11, 03:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Seniors will adjust to whatever is out there for their new vehicle choices. If they've been buying vehicles for a long time, they've seen things come and go and will find something that suits them. It will just be different than the barges previously available.
Old 12-28-11, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

The 2013 Buick Encore is set to appear for the first time at the 2012 North American International Auto Show, but the Tri-Shield is giving us a sneak-peek via its Facebook page. We've already seen a close-up of a very attractive-looking headlamp, and Buick also unveiled one quarter of a water-front image.

Now Team Buick is unveiling a second panel, which shows the entire greenhouse plus a good portion of the side body panels. The Encore looks to be about the same size as the Chevrolet Equinox, but we don't see a single panel shared with the BowTie-badged CUV. We still don't have the first hint of any vehicle specs, but that should change as we get closer to the crossover's January 10th reveal date.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/28/m...d-on-facebook/
Yup Its looking to be a re-skinned Opel Antara (Saturn Vue, Chevrolet Captiva)

I'd expect powertrains to mirror that of the Buick Verano and Regal in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged 4-banger applications

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-28-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

living in retirement central (florida) i respectfully disagree, and the limo business has nothing to do with senior vehicle choices.
True. But the limo industry also worships the Town Car and stretched Caddy DTS, two of the most popular senior-citizen cars. In fact, pre-1997 Town cars kept their value for quite some time due to their more-traditional, squared-off appearance. The Town-Car crowd was slow to accept the more Jaguaresque-looking 1998 replacement, and the new design depreciated very quickly.

retirees who have barges like town cars and crown vics are likely keeping them until they die.
Depends on how many miles they put on them, if the cars are worn-out or not, and if they can afford the time and money for major-component overhauls and/or restorations on them.

but i'm seeing tons of retirees downsize from the barges to camrys, accords, sonatas, or smaller vehicles like the prius, corolla, civic, cobalt, etc., plus the cuvs like sorrentos, pilots are popular - much easier to get in and out of and much easier to load and unload the golf clubs and groceries, or the walker, wheelchair, etc.
Yep, the higher-stance CUVs and raised-suspension wagons like the Outback and Forester do have appeal to that group. Many seniors (and others with weak backs/legs), depending on their height, find that a higher seating position often makes it much easier and more pain-free to get in and out.....which brings us back to the original thread-topic (the new Buick CUV).
Old 01-03-12, 08:05 PM
Hoovey689

Another piece of the puzzle. my guess from post #26 seems to be on track thus far

Old 01-03-12, 08:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's actually quite a bit uglier than I was expecting...proportions remind me of a Suzuki SX4 hatch.
Old 01-03-12, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That's actually quite a bit uglier than I was expecting...proportions remind me of a Suzuki SX4 hatch.
Agreed. Any car or SUV with the front triangle window screams nerdiness or minivan. Sideview mirrors are also immature.

Quick Reply: Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut