Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new Camry is an improvement but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 11:11 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartune
Camry in asia always look better than usdm. What else is new, jdm>usdm.
and jdm camry is ~1.5-2x the price of usdm...what else is new?
Old 12-15-11, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think they look fine. Similar to how some bmws like the X3 does that with its tails. I never liked that one

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-15-11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the overall update to the Camry was well done. The exterior kind of reminds me of Acura for some reason.

Inside is where this Camry comes alive. A really we done interior that I find more appealing than the ES platform for share Toyota does.

It seems that Toyota came to their senses and made something that pleases their hardcore past Toyota Camry owners.

I am impressed that Toyota upgraded the 4 banger. While I don't agree that the 3.5 is needed, I can see why Toyota does offer it.

Compared to the last gen model, the new Camry is a nice well done upgrade.
Old 12-15-11, 01:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sat in a XLE model, the interior is OK only, not impressive though. And the NAV is just too small.
And as much I like Camry, I don't like the exterior design. I think last Gen looks better.
Old 12-15-11, 04:53 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the new Camry is the best looking Camry so far, both inside and out. Compared to many luxury cars, it just looks much better. It looks better than the new M-B CLS.
Old 12-15-11, 05:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I think the new Camry is the best looking Camry so far, both inside and out. Compared to many luxury cars, it just looks much better. It looks better than the new M-B CLS.
I agree. The Camry has gone back to its simple boring design which really works for me.
Old 12-15-11, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The only significant problem I could find, after reviewing the new Camry, was the thinner sheet metal compared to the old one, that made the door-closings sound a little tinnnier. Otherwise, it is a marked improvement, especially in the interior.
Old 12-15-11, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ok. Someone in my complex has a brand new blue XLE. Can't tell tell if the model is a V6 or I4. When seeing with other cars, it does look inpressive and does have the near luxury look.

I still feel that it looks like a Acura and does have a bit of the beak look but overall I like it a lot.
Old 12-15-11, 05:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

After seeing a few on the road, I have to conclude the new design is worse than the last. Gone are the slim, angry, and tapered headlights, replaced by generic, seen-before VW and Chrysler lenses. Also lost the rear LED's, which naturally, no one has noticed or brought up in the Toyota press releases.

Agreed, the taillights are the weakest point, making me wonder how such a bizzare shape passed approval. Next up is the silly buck-tooth front SE bumper. Looks like a nerdy kid with oversized braces or a tractor's shovel scoop. Not integrated or sporty at all. Third, and I am probably alone on this... don't care for the dash and details inside. Everything looks sectioned or layered, whereas the last model was integrated and smoothed out. The slightly curved seam above the passenger's airbag is also a mind-player for OCC people who want to make things that are just barely crooked, straight. Steering wheel buttons also looked glued on and not integrated. Then, the cheesy 1980 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta brown stripes on the cloth seats is puke-worthy.
I think the 2010-2011 SE will become the classic, not this one.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 12-15-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
After seeing a few on the road, I have to conclude the new design is worse than the last. Gone are the slim, angry, and tapered headlights, replaced by generic, seen-before VW and Chrysler lenses. Also lost the rear LED's, which naturally, no one has noticed or brought up in the Toyota press releases.

Agreed, the taillights are the weakest point, making me wonder how such a bizzare shape passed approval. Next up is the silly buck-tooth front SE bumper. Looks like a nerdy kid with oversized braces or a tractor's shovel scoop. Not integrated or sporty at all. Third, and I am probably alone on this... don't care for the dash and details inside. Everything looks sectioned or layered, whereas the last model was integrated and smoothed out. The slightly curved seam above the passenger's airbag is also a mind-player for OCC people who want to make things that are just barely crooked, straight. Steering wheel buttons also looked glued on and not integrated. Then, the cheesy 1980 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta brown stripes on the cloth seats is puke-worthy.
I think the 2010-2011 SE will become the classic, not this one.
I don't want to be the one to tell you, but the last gen Camry sucked.
Old 12-15-11, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are the same person that said the CT is a rebadged Prius. The last gen CAmry did not suck, it was a damn good car, it competed well in comparos even WINNING some and OUTSOLD all the newer competition in its last days.

It couldn't suck since every company targeted the car to beat. You don't target things that suck.

Old 12-15-11, 10:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SE looks great, the other one's are crap IMO. But the SE is awesome. Needs bigger (wider) wheels though.
Old 12-16-11, 12:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Really? Being the best selling car in it's class for over five years is sucking? Okay.
Old 12-16-11, 12:53 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well.. I for one like the new tails...

You can't please everybody. Toyota has said they are going to be LESS vanilla - and per the discussion in this thread it looks like they are doing just that

They tails defiantly aren't boring! Lobster claws ftw
Old 12-16-11, 06:25 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Claw

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
No one likes the lobster claw? ]
I like the overall shape of the claw ... not too fond of how they divided the white/red parts tho.

Quick Reply: The new Camry is an improvement but...