Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new Camry is an improvement but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 07:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Well.. I for one like the new tails...

You can't please everybody. Toyota has said they are going to be LESS vanilla - and per the discussion in this thread it looks like they are doing just that

They tails defiantly aren't boring! Lobster claws ftw
indeed... Asian Camry is more vanilla than vanilla but everyone wants it :-)
Old 12-16-11, 08:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a few driving around and it's just another Camry to me except it looks very chunky and brick-like in overall shape. The styling shortcomings go beyond mere details like the shape of the tail lights. It the shape of the whole damn car that makes me frown. The other letdown for me is that the design hasn't evolved much past the previous generation. I actually have to look hard to tell if it's a new Camry or the older one. But the aforementioned blockiness is ultimately what gives it away. They say that sales will finally gain traction by February but if they don't then I dare say Toyota has a problem. So far, sales have been underwhelming with older competitors nipping right at Camry's heels.
Old 12-16-11, 08:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Have any of you driven the new 2012 Camry yet? I've driven a Hybrid XLE back to back with a previous gen Hybrid and an XLE V6. So far the Hybrid XLE is the most interesting of all to be because it has 200hp and it is faster than a 2002 Camry V6 model. Steering feel and handling is amazing after all these generations. No its not a sports car, but Toyota is finally doing something right. As for the taillights...not a fan.

I have seen both cars parked side by side, none of them share the same sheetmetal and the new Camry's green house is a bit larger than the previous. Looks are deceiving but the whole car is different in all aspects, it just wasn't designed that way. Sort of how they tried to evolve the 1st Gen LS into the 2nd Gen LS. I've been seeing a bunch of new Camrys on the road since launch here in Southern California. I think its doing pretty well, especially the SE trim.
Old 12-16-11, 08:45 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Have any of you driven the new 2012 Camry yet? I've driven a Hybrid XLE back to back with a previous gen Hybrid and an XLE V6. So far the Hybrid XLE is the most interesting of all to be because it has 200hp and it is faster than a 2002 Camry V6 model. Steering feel and handling is amazing after all these generations. No its not a sports car, but Toyota is finally doing something right. As for the taillights...not a fan.

I have seen both cars parked side by side, none of them share the same sheetmetal and the new Camry's green house is a bit larger than the previous. Looks are deceiving but the whole car is different in all aspects, it just wasn't designed that way. Sort of how they tried to evolve the 1st Gen LS into the 2nd Gen LS. I've been seeing a bunch of new Camrys on the road since launch here in Southern California. I think its doing pretty well, especially the SE trim.
I drove the very first 2012 Camry LE that hit dealers in Michigan, and I drove a Hybrid XLE back-to-back with my 2008 Hybrid. The 2012 blows the previous gen out of the water in nearly every way possible.
Old 12-16-11, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Have any of you driven the new 2012 Camry yet?
I reviewed one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ry-xle-v6.html

Mike also said that, if possible, he would drive a Hybrid.
Old 12-16-11, 09:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by RX_330
I drove the very first 2012 Camry LE that hit dealers in Michigan, and I drove a Hybrid XLE back-to-back with my 2008 Hybrid. The 2012 blows the previous gen out of the water in nearly every way possible.
Exactly. Thank you.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I reviewed one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ry-xle-v6.html

Mike also said that, if possible, he would drive a Hybrid.
I've read it and I have many of the same sentiments. The Camry Hybrid XLE impresses me the most about all the line up. SE V6 would be next. It's really quiet, its powerful, awesome MPG, interior is a knock out and it handles surprisingly well. I'm sold! (except for the taillamps )
Old 12-16-11, 10:21 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly. Thank you.

I've read it and I have many of the same sentiments. The Camry Hybrid XLE impresses me the most about all the line up. SE V6 would be next. It's really quiet, its powerful, awesome MPG, interior is a knock out and it handles surprisingly well. I'm sold! (except for the taillamps )
What impressed me the most was just how improved the new Hybrid drive is with the updates paired with the 2.5 I4. Low end oomph was more noticeable while in electric mode, I could do brisk parking lot acceleration without starting the ICE. In my '08 Hybrid, the engine would turn on give me the power, then quickly turn back off. It behaves in programming a little more like the Hybrid systems in the Highlander and RX models. The new battery packs give you a lot more power to stay in EV mode for longer and under stronger acceleration inputs.

It was really quiet too. Under braking in my '08, I can definitely hear the whine of the traction motors as it was recovering energy under braking. I did not hear anything at all with the '12 from the inside. Same goes for quietness with the engine on. I can always tell under acceleration when my engine is on in the '08 (it's not loud or unrefined by any means, just barely perceptible), but the refinement of the new setup is so much better, it left me wondering if I was still in electric mode or not all the time. During my test drive I had to resort to looking at the screen to tell when the ICE was on.

The SE is the only trim level left I need to drive to get a good feel for the entire new Camry range. I want to test both the I4 and V6 as I've heard there are slight differences, most notably with the steering as they EPS units are from two different suppliers for the two engines.

Last edited by RX_330; 12-16-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 02:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

^^Well said.

It's amazing how much advancements have been made for 2012. The 6th gen was already quiet. I did have the opportunity to drive an 11 and 12 Hybrid back to back. It's like night and day. The 2AZ-FXE was already quiet and smooth but its amazing that the 2AR-FXE is much more powerful and smoother and efficient. It's so smooth and quiet you're forgetting you're driving a hybrid. Who would have thought a 2012 Camry Hybrid can go as fast if not faster than a 2002 Toyota Camry V6.

I'm jealous at the fact that BSM (blind spot monitoring) is available on this car as well as Enform. The New GS is going to be the first Lexus with BSM and Entune (upscaled version of Enform)...but not until February '12. Come on TMC, get with the program...the luxury brand should get these goods first.
Old 12-16-11, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm jealous at the fact that BSM (blind spot monitoring) is available on this car as well as Enform. The New GS is going to be the first Lexus with BSM and Entune (upscaled version of Enform)...but not until February '12. Come on TMC, get with the program...the luxury brand should get these goods first.

well that just shows how old lexus lineup is... Lexus would get it first if GS went on sale before Camry...
Old 12-16-11, 07:41 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I'm very happy with my 2012, compared to my 2004. Not a fan of the door panels that are now plastic and yes the rear taillights took me a while to get used to, but I love how much nicer it is compared to my old one. Here's the two of them together.
Attached Thumbnails The new Camry is an improvement but...-lex-car.jpg  

Last edited by lamar411; 12-16-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-16-11, 07:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I'm very happy with my 2012, compared to my 2004. Not a fan of the door panels that are now plastic and yes the rear taillights took me a while to get used to, but I love how much nicer it is compared to my old one. Here's the two of them together.
Its great to heatr what an actual owner has to say, reviews just don't cut it. Its the people who buy them is what counts.

Compared to the last gen model, the door panels are far superior.
Old 12-16-11, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

wondering what color would make the tail lights not look as bad. white maybe?
Old 12-17-11, 12:32 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a chrome trunk bar?
Old 12-17-11, 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

maybe a paper bag?
Old 12-18-11, 05:34 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Drove an XLE V6. World's better than the Gen 6 in every way.

Quick Reply: The new Camry is an improvement but...