Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Wait until next year 4 sedans, 1st Super Bowl ad are in the works

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 08:32 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that line "LS is Lexus". The flagship really does mean a whole lot to the brand so I don't think Lexus will screw up their ace. I'm confident it will bring something new like every LS before it. Out of the 4 sedans of Lexus, I'm always most excited to see whatever the next LS will bring even though the GS and IS fit me better personally.

If we really see the LS next year, it will be exciting indeed. I somehow doubt it, seeing how we haven't heard any rumors, seen any spy shots, nor has Lexus talked about it all. My guess is early to mid 2013.

As a last note, another thing that excites me about the next generation of Lexus sedans is the possibility of new body styles such as coupes and wagons. The IS and GS at least should get a coupe.
Old 12-15-11, 08:41 PM
LexFather

My God some of these posts made me go to the overproof rum.....

What happened.......smh

Old 12-15-11, 08:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
They better not to that, or they're going to be in trouble.

The new S Class and facelifted 7 are right around the corner for the "reworked" LS, and the new 3/G sedan/facelifted C/A4 are all around the corner. If these two cars are just reworked, they will be behind the curve.

Hopefully Lexus realizes that they can't half *** the IS or LS.
Lexus LS current model is nearing the end of its cycle...unless they follow the same method with the current 2nd gen IS, 3 facelifts in 7 years vs. the coventional 5 year model cycle and 1 facelift. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm confident Lexus won't half *** the 3rd Gen IS. The new 4th Gen GS chassis is so great, the next IS will be the best yet.
Old 12-15-11, 09:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pretty cool pics.

My past Lex knowledge is not extensive. Can anyone tell me of Lexus has done football advertising before?

I know Toyota has done Super Bowl and they already advertise at Halftime shows.
Lexus has been plugging new commercials during the Super Bowl in the past...RX and CT come to mind. As for Lexus doing full on GS advertising during Super Bowl, this will be a first.
Old 12-15-11, 09:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
I bet Lexus is gonna do what they did with the 4GS and redesign everything and then just get lazy and carry over the powertrain
Lets hope not, if they do carry over a powertrain, give it more horses at least and make some notable changes to it.
Old 12-16-11, 01:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
This may sound negative but if all the new designs have the Predator grill, I'm out of luck and may be changing brands. Maybe I will buy pre-owned Lexus going forward.

I am happy to see they are putting more soul into the cars. Next big thing would be to add more coupes.
I have a sneaking suspicion Lexus will gain more conquest buyers than it will lose existing owners with this new corporate look. One longstanding charge levelled at Lexus has been the bland appearance of their stock factory cars.

The higher-ups in Lexus/Toyota(probably Akio Toyoda) probably had enough of that and decided : "Screw bland and inoffensive! Let's have a design that will get people's attention and get them buzzing. We may lose some of our existing fanbase but stagnation=death!"

I agree with this new philosophy. Someone once said : If you're not getting your fair share of haters, you're probably not doing your job right. LOL.

Let's see : BMW Bangle butt : universal hatred by BMW fanboys but BMW sales skyrocketed. Audi gaping mouth grill lambasted but Audi sales are increasing year on year.

Hmm. My money is on Lexus knowing what they're doing....

Last edited by natnut; 12-16-11 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 01:31 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haters gonna hate ... Im happy that lexus is no longer out there to please everybody... because you can't!

Very excited for this coming year
Old 12-16-11, 05:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Text.
Yay, a Singaporean (or rather a fellow South East Asian).

Anyways, how much will COE (Certificate of Entitlement) be for the Lexus GS in Singapore? Also, I heard Lexus Singapore/Borneo Motors is already accepting reservations as early as now?

Will they only bring the GS250 for you guys?

Thanks
Old 12-16-11, 05:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a sneaking suspicion Lexus will gain more conquest buyers than it will lose existing owners with this new corporate look. One longstanding charge levelled at Lexus has been the bland appearance of their stock factory cars.

The higher-ups in Lexus/Toyota(probably Akio Toyoda) probably had enough of that and decided : "Screw bland and inoffensive! Let's have a design that will get people's attention and get them buzzing. We may lose some of our existing fanbase but stagnation=death!"

I agree with this new philosophy. Someone once said : If you're not getting your fair share of haters, you're probably not doing your job right. LOL.

Let's see : BMW Bangle butt : universal hatred by BMW fanboys but BMW sales skyrocketed. Audi gaping mouth grill lambasted but Audi sales are increasing year on year.

Hmm. My money is on Lexus knowing what they're doing....
I applaud radical change....no problem with it at all. It's necessary for the health of the brand. But have you seen an unattractive Benz? How many times has the E class changed? None of them dislodged a significant number of the fanbase.
Why can't Lexus do this? They have the ability to make world class cars (LFA) and very attractive cars (ES, IS, LS). Instead, it's hit or miss designs (GS, SC430).
The GS is an important car. It's the sport sedan. It's the middle car. It should be on point. Not some like it and some don't.

Try it, name one remotely unattractive Benz.
Name one unattractive BMW.
Name one unattractive Audi.

Add to this the fact there is only one real coupe, the LFA (I don't count verts).

So they finally give us a GS with good handling....but they design the car where half of us won't buy it. Dumbest crap imaginable.
Old 12-16-11, 07:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

Unattractive Benz? While there aren't any MB models that are downright ugly, I wouldn't call most of them attractive either. The E class in particular has never been remotely attractive to me, its the most boring, blandest sedan possible, on par with ES. The C class looked downright cheap until the current model. The current S class is tacky. Older CLK/SLK models looked cheap.

With BMW, except for the 3 series coupe and X5, all of their last gen models were UGLY. The 5 being the fugliest, followed by 7, 6, x3, z, 3 sedan.

Audis? I don't even remember seeing any on the road until they became attention wh***es with Christmas lights.

Lexus has never had an ugly car either. Some of them were bland and not attractive, but never downright ugly. Most Lexus models aged extremely well.
Old 12-16-11, 07:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I applaud radical change....no problem with it at all. It's necessary for the health of the brand. But have you seen an unattractive Benz? How many times has the E class changed? None of them dislodged a significant number of the fanbase.
Why can't Lexus do this? They have the ability to make world class cars (LFA) and very attractive cars (ES, IS, LS). Instead, it's hit or miss designs (GS, SC430).
The GS is an important car. It's the sport sedan. It's the middle car. It should be on point. Not some like it and some don't.

Add to this the fact there is only one real coupe, the LFA (I don't count verts).

So they finally give us a GS with good handling....but they design the car where half of us won't buy it. Dumbest crap imaginable.
GLK is ugly as sin... R class? lol. New SL is bad... base E-class looks horrible. C class doesnt look luxurious.

5 GT? New 1,3,5,7 series are bland, nothing special... old ones looked downright ugly.

Audi's look good, especially in pics... I like Q5 for example. Interiors are disappointing once you get inside and start really looking at stuff.
Old 12-16-11, 08:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I have a sneaking suspicion Lexus will gain more conquest buyers than it will lose existing owners with this new corporate look.
Bingo!

Old 12-16-11, 08:26 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many called the current E-class unattractive when it launched. Many also blasted Audi when they went with the single frame grill on the last A6, A8 and A4. "I will never buy another Audi" was a common response. As for BMW, as has already been mentioned, the last gen 7 series with the bangle butt was blasted across the board, as was the last gen 5 series.

Change will always be unattractive at first, because of the lack of familiarity. But change needs to happen for design to move forward, and on the internet at least, most new designs seem to be met with negativity.

Lexus: Wait until next year 4 sedans, 1st Super Bowl ad are in the works-z2njo.jpg
Old 12-16-11, 08:53 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn. 2012 is going to be a really cool year for car fans!

New Lexus models, Scion FRS, new Viper, etc., etc....
Old 12-16-11, 02:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't see what you guys see when it comes to the 4GS.

All I can say is maybe my view will change. My point is this. It took me a long time to like the 3GS. Now it's taking a long time to like the 4GS. I didn't have the same reaction to none of the other mid-size luxury cars. I'm not in love with the 5, E nor A6 but neither of them repulsed me the way the 4GS does.

Thankfully, I don't really have to like it. There are so many other cars out there. The great thing about Lexus is it caused the other brands to step up the reliability to compete. Now I feel safe going elsewhere....if I have to.

Quick Reply: Lexus: Wait until next year 4 sedans, 1st Super Bowl ad are in the works