Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Subaru Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 10:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All can say is.....good luck. Subaru doesn't put standard AWD into all of its American-market vehicles for nothing.

While purpose-designed snow-tires on a RWD or FWD vehicle do help somewhat, in my experience, there just is no substitute for a well-designed AWD in the slick stuff, even with careful driving.
Not exactly, FWD is often fine with snow tires and all the stability and traction control aids.
Old 12-17-11, 10:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All can say is.....good luck. Subaru doesn't put standard AWD into all of its American-market vehicles for nothing. .
Actually the CVT tranmission models are not realy AWD. They are now electronic activated where the rears come alive when there is slip. Kinda like the cute utes.
Old 12-18-11, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually the CVT tranmission models are not realy AWD. They are now electronic activated where the rears come alive when there is slip. Kinda like the cute utes.
That type of system is generally called On-Demand AWD.

Actually, come to think of it, the press-reviews for the new Impreza generally give the credit for the big 9-MPG bump in fuel-economy this year to the smaller engine and CVT. But not having the extra drag of driving all four wheels all of the time also obviously helps, too....that alone could (now) be a significant factor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is the first review I have read about the Impreza
You didn't see the one I did right here in CAR CHAT a few days ago?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...u-impreza.html

the poor hp is a big let down.
In conventional, gas-powered, non-hybrid cars, with the upcoming CAFE rules that the Obama Administration forced on the industry, lower HP, at least to some extent, could be the wave of the future. To an extent, we're going to have to get used to it.....but, of course, technology and alternative-fuels, unlike the last big HP drop of the 1970s, will temper the impact some.
Old 12-18-11, 04:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

^^ i somehow missed your review too. it's great as usual, and the pics you used actually make the car look worlds better than this review! i think it's the hatch version, not shown here, that looks so much better to me.
Old 12-18-11, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ i somehow missed your review too. it's great as usual, and the pics you used actually make the car look worlds better than this review! i think it's the hatch version, not shown here, that looks so much better to me.
Thanks, Paul.

No, I wouldn't call it an ugly car by any means, but of course, Subaru has never been known for making slick-styled beauties. They usually place function over form, and emphasize utility. I could (possibly) see myself driving the two-tone Sport hatchback, as real two-tone paint (not cladding) is now almost extinct (except for the Mini's roof), and I like its relative ease-of-parking and manuverability in parking lots. But, on the road, it has distinctly more road-noise than either Legacy or Outback, rides firmer, lacks the Outback's ground-clearance for deep snow and obstacles on the road, and just doesn't feel, overall, as solid or comfortable to drive. Imprezas cost less, of course, but there is a reason for that lower cost.