Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Websites to sell a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 01:49 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Websites to sell a car?

After a long contemplation I've decided to let go of my G35 - its been a great run, but my priorities are shifting and I don't need three cars. I listed it on Craigslist in October and since the first day Craigslist keeps "ghosting" my post - it'll allow me to post an active listing but the listing itself won't show up in browsing or search results. I'm tired of writing six different iterations of an ad for one car, and quite frankly I'm running out of patience. Besides the forums, what other car-selling sites get good traffic? AutoTrader? KBB.com? Or if anyone could help me fix the Craigslist's "ghosting" issue that'd be great too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-11, 02:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use autotrader.com, ebay is too complicated for private seller.
BTW, you are eligible to sell it here in non lexus classifield.
Old 12-18-11, 04:34 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I infer that "ghosting" means that your listing on Craigslist isn't showing up using Google or other searches. That's a "feature" of Craigslist and their lawyers run around and threaten lawsuits on every search provider and ad consolidation website that includes Craigslist listings. You can search for it on Craigslist, but they have no national search capability that I've ever found.

Autotrader works well in our area. Cars.com is also an option. Around here it also includes most of the newspaper classified ads. Check your local stores if you have a regional sales publication. There's one in mid-Michigan called Wheeler Deeler that all the local dealers used to list cars in (along with private parties). Copies of the Wheeler Deeler would be dropped at every restaurant and convenience store. I was always amazed at how many ads were ripped out of copies left out a local pizza place.

Good luck in the sale.
Old 12-18-11, 06:06 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a great experience with AutoTrader selling my BMW 335i a couple months ago. I'd use it again in the future.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-11, 06:59 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto trader is the way to go. I sold 2 cars on Auto Trader.

A lot of people don't look in craigslist. I for example only shop on Autotrader or ebay. I just assumed that people don't list nice cars on Craigslist.
Old 12-18-11, 08:06 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

autotrader.com worked for me in the past and my last GS was sold off on cars.com
eBay is okay. had 2 cars listed for a month length, sold one.
Craigslist sucks - my listings were flagged for removal daily and when someone did see the ad it was mostly tire kickers and teens who wanted a joyride.
Old 12-18-11, 08:45 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've actually had success selling and purchasing vehicles off Craigslist. I sold my Mercedes ML on it after about three weeks. I also purchased my Camry Hybrid based off a Craigslist ad from a dealer in Chicago. I tried listing my Jaguar on it just to see what kind of reactions I would get, but I ran into the ghosting issue like you. The problem isn't that it won't show up on Google or anything, it won't show up in the Craigslist search listings itself.
Old 12-19-11, 05:24 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys - off to AutoTrader it goes.

Originally Posted by RX_330
...but I ran into the ghosting issue like you. The problem isn't that it won't show up on Google or anything, it won't show up in the Craigslist search listings itself.
Exactly what I'm experiencing - its a PITA and an unexplainable phenomenon.
Old 12-20-11, 08:42 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars.com is also a good site
Old 12-20-11, 11:42 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In our area, I've generally found that I have better luck buying/selling low priced vehicles, say under $10K, on CraigsList and higher priced vehicles on AutoTrader. If selling a vehicle with limited local appeal, you need to list it on AutoTrader due to the limited national search capabilities of CL. If selling a vehicle that would mainly appeal to young people, a CL listing is a must as it seems to be the only place many of them look.