Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for an SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 09:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
My wife used to have 2007 IS250 and she loved that little chick car and would NOT want an SUV at all because of its size (she is 5.2 and 110 lbs or less). She was in her sister's 2001 Civic with my our son and her other 2 sisters. An old pickup ran the red light and she t-boned the truck, car totaled. If the truck was a little slower and t-boned the Civic instead we would not know what happened then. After that accident, both of them are now driving RX'es.

I am happy to know that you were fine in the accident. It was your lucky day, not the car. I feel safer driving the SUV than the Camry and I don't drive crazy so not to worry about roll-over.
If, God forbid, you get T-boned, it pretty much doesn't matter much what you drive. I'd be more concerned with amount of side curtain airbags the vehicle has, and how it scores in crash rating. You might actually be worse off in an SUV in such type of crash, because it is more likely to roll over.
Old 12-19-11, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Overseas they don't have road infrastructure like we have in the US, and you need rugged offroaders if you need to get places. In the US, such SUVs are simply a waste, unless you like to go offroading or need to tow stuff.
And 500hp SUVs, SH-AWD never used SUVs etc etc is also a waste. We can make the argument for both sides.

I completely understand the need and desires for both on-road/off-road SUVs. I seem to be favoring as of late real SUVs due to their reputations all over the world and thankfully Lexus actually provides 2 of them.

Old 12-19-11, 11:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Keep in mind, SUV's are generally less nimble than sedans. This can have an effect on accident avoidance, creating a higher risk. They are also more prone to rolling over. My belief is the best way to avoid injuries is to not get into an accident in the first place. Having said that, I do agree size and height can help protect you from the other bozos out there. A mid-sized SUV that handles well would be the first on my list.
Old 12-20-11, 06:10 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Checked out couple 07 GX470 loaded but they are all over 70k in miles and still $30k. I really like the GX460 interior BUT not too fond about the exterior. Try to find an used LX570 but that one is rarer than diamond and new one is way too much. Checked out the MDX but loaded one is in the $50k and not too fond with the front and the materials neither (bought our dad a new 08 RDX so I know the quality firsthand).

As of now, the GX 470/460 and the X5/X5d are on the list (unless somehow the used LX570 pops up somewhere closed by) and I will have to find one that I can still like/love for the next 6 years.

Thank you all,
Old 12-20-11, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

you should at least go look at a loaded limited Explorer. yeah "ford" probably doesn't mean 'premium' to you but i think you'll be surprised how comfortable, quiet, efficient, and all around nice it is.
Old 12-20-11, 07:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
Forgot to add, a new X3 would also be in that range.
Seen one on the road and looked so small that I would have to sit in the cargo area to drive it
Old 12-20-11, 07:25 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As bit mentioned the new explorer is really nice and you’re getting something loaded \ brand new for under 50, same with a 4-Runner Limited loaded up real nice.

You mentioned Tacoma which made me think of the Cadillac escalade ext, which drives pretty damn nice and a 2009 is 50k-ish and I want to say that came with a 100k warranty, 2008 even cheaper...

You can find a 2009 Benz GL for under 50k and that has some size to it, nice interior etc.

The GX is nice, and you CAN find some deals on them but you going to be looking out of state more than likely.

Overall used SUV prices are brutal, its going to be tough dropped 40-50k on something 2-3 years old any way you look at it.
Old 12-20-11, 07:55 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Why no second RX? They're full of airbags.

Also second vote for a Sequoia. My best friend's family has one (unsure of year) with over 165,000 miles. Only now nickel and dime'n them. You'll notice cabin noise after driving Lexus. Will handle Nebraska winters, no problem.

Sorry this tragedy took a life.
Old 12-21-11, 11:24 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default If you dont care about GAS, LX470 would be my pick

i know they look older, but try picking up a lx470 06/07..they are built like small tanks..they are so well built...better then the new ones. ...i had 2 rx..owned a mdx..sister in law have a sequoia ..but the lx handles / rides way better i have a lx470 and new highlander..now but honestly lx470 makes all these other suvs feel like a toy..i bought the lx just becasue of that safety and peace of mind
also tested the mercedes GL and BMW X5..didnt like a bit..

reason..safety...i believe when they made the lx it was one of the strongest suvs on the planet and it surely feels like one..
Old 12-21-11, 08:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you should at least go look at a loaded limited Explorer. yeah "ford" probably doesn't mean 'premium' to you but i think you'll be surprised how comfortable, quiet, efficient, and all around nice it is.
I would have to concur. My parents just picked up a 2006 explorer and the thing is damn comfortable. It wallows and my FJ Cruiser handles better, but the V8 and and those seats are like a mobile LaZBoy.

That being said, for $50k, I would look at a 2-3 year old CPO MB GL550 4Matic. Right in your price range.
Old 12-22-11, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I would have to concur. My parents just picked up a 2006 explorer and the thing is damn comfortable. It wallows and my FJ Cruiser handles better, but the V8 and and those seats are like a mobile LaZBoy.
the 06 is what i have. of course the new one is hugely improved and now unibody so rides/handles better.
Old 12-22-11, 06:16 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Checked out the new X5 again (with my spouse and the kids). I love the stance (with nice big wheels) but Bimmer only looks good with Black/Black. Somehow they make the fenders and wheel arc are always in black and that look odd on any colors except black. It is Nebraska winter and black car look like crap 5 minutes after washed. The wife said "If you buy that black one (she hates black interior) then anywhere we go together we will drive my RX". Well, that just turned me off. Also, Bimmer interior is couple steps below comparing to Lexus's (at least that is to me.)

Going to check out a GX460 today.......
Old 12-22-11, 06:29 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I second the Explorer option. I'm really liking this vehicle as well.. The looks and lines and the technology is impressive. Also, being in NE.. The AWD option will have its benefits in the snow. Something to consider.
Old 12-22-11, 06:35 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Sorry guys but NO FORD, CHEVY, or Chrysler, unless when I am ready for a GT500, Corvette, or a Viper. I laugh at my brother everytime he comes to my house with his '11 Suburban even though I got the deal for him.....
Old 12-22-11, 09:51 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the BMW X5. Maintenance is pretty expensive unless you find one with a warranty. What part of Nebraska? I'm from Kearney but moved to Phoenix for school.

Quick Reply: Looking for an SUV