Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saab files for bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
That car was nice, but it was very poor compared with BMW, Mercedes or Jag, and even poor compared with Audi (which was also facing tough times at that time).
I'm not sure that the 9000 was worse, quality-wise, than Audis of that period. Audis had many, often severe, reliability problems in the 80s and 90s. I can remember ones I myself test-drove back then, having sloppy fit/finish, loose-assembly, and rattles/squeaks even as brand-new cars.

Lexus launched the LS400 a couple of years later, and I knew even as a 13 year old that companies like Saab were doomed at that point.
Yes, like many of the posters of this forum (CAR CHAT), you seem to be someone who knows cars and is competent. But that doesn't mean that we always will agree.

Quirky is not a market which has enough scale. People were buying Saabs because it was the cheap option for buying a luxury car.
Here in America, Saab loyalty wasn't necessarily very wide, but it sure was deep....until GM stuck their nose in.

That was the end for mid-price European luxury marques.
In what way? BMW, today, in many ways, has never been more successful.....they prospered even after Chris Bangle (IMO) screwed up their designs. Although it is now starting to change some, their vehicles swept the comparisions in auto-enthusiast magazines for years. But many of them simply cost too much for the average recession-plagued car-shopper today, who is out looking at cheaper American, Korean, and Japanese nameplates instead. .
Old 12-21-11, 10:08 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Volvo and Saab, imo, always looked like *** and were far too overpriced for what they offered.

One down, one more to go.... wonder how much longer Volvo is going to be around.
Considering Volvo sells about the same number of cars as Lexus worldwide, I doubt they are in any sort of danger...
Old 12-21-11, 08:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In what way? BMW, today, in many ways, has never been more successful.....they prospered even after Chris Bangle (IMO) screwed up their designs. Although it is now starting to change some, their vehicles swept the comparisions in auto-enthusiast magazines for years. But many of them simply cost too much for the average recession-plagued car-shopper today, who is out looking at cheaper American, Korean, and Japanese nameplates instead. .
By mid-price European marques, I meant Saab, Audi, Volvo, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and Rover. Basically the companies who only had FWD cars who were trying to compete with Mercedes and BMW with a cheaper but not as good offering.

Of that group only Audi really did well (by improving their product to international standards), Volvo has gotten by, and the others have struggled.
Old 12-21-11, 09:52 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't say I'll really miss this brand. Saturn was much more of a loss to the automotive world, in my opinion.

My most recent experience was at a Saab dealer about 6 months ago in Orange County. A friend was in the market for a new car. We went to the Saab dealer since it was next to the Volvo dealer. Walked around the lot for 10 minutes and not a single soul came out greet us. The dealership was a ghost town. Anyone still working for Saab should have had the foresight to jump ship a long time ago.
Old 12-22-11, 08:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
Won't say I'll really miss this brand. Saturn was much more of a loss to the automotive world, in my opinion.

My most recent experience was at a Saab dealer about 6 months ago in Orange County. A friend was in the market for a new car. We went to the Saab dealer since it was next to the Volvo dealer. Walked around the lot for 10 minutes and not a single soul came out greet us. The dealership was a ghost town. Anyone still working for Saab should have had the foresight to jump ship a long time ago.
In America maybe. In Rest of World, everyone thinks Saturn is a planet.
Old 12-22-11, 08:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In America maybe. In Rest of World, everyone thinks Saturn is a planet.
In America we think the rest of the world doesn't matter.

Old 12-22-11, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Totally agree. But, even worse, the real Saturn, with their innovative plastic-body compacts, A-1 customer-service, easy no-haggle deals, and unique features like the spin-off transmission filter, faded out after about 2000 or so. After that, it simply became another ho-hum GM division selling redone Opels and Chevies.

Unfortunately, with Saab, that also became the case, but Saab did not have as wide a base of customers as Saturn.

I had a 1999 Saturn plastic-bodied SL-2, and I thought it was one of the most interesting cars I ever bought. The Ion, which replaced the S-series, was a joke. Even the metal-bodied Saturn Astra, which replaced the Ion, was an improvement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 08:00 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch for new 9-5 super deals now. That is a really good car and hopefully it gets firesale pricing.
Old 12-23-11, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yesterday I passed a highway Saab dealership that was closed but don't know how long it has been,though.
Old 12-23-11, 12:09 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

unfortunate to hear, enjoyed their 93 an viggen
Old 12-23-11, 12:57 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dammit I like their new 9-5
Old 12-23-11, 02:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A post on another car forum...

"coworker has a 2010 Saab and he and I have have been talking about this since Saab filed bankruptcy.

He was wondering about warranties and if he should just bail out of his Saab now.

He went to a Volvo and an Audi dealer....his $32,000 Saab has a value of $9,500 on a trade-in.

Plus he heard that Saab's are now selling for 50 cents on the dollar at auctions."
Old 12-23-11, 05:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
dammit I like their new 9-5
Buy a Buick LaCrosse. It's more or less the same thing.
Old 12-23-11, 05:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A post on another car forum...

"coworker has a 2010 Saab and he and I have have been talking about this since Saab filed bankruptcy.

He was wondering about warranties and if he should just bail out of his Saab now.

He went to a Volvo and an Audi dealer....his $32,000 Saab has a value of $9,500 on a trade-in.

Plus he heard that Saab's are now selling for 50 cents on the dollar at auctions."
You should tell him that if he had spent $32k on a Lexus, it would be worth $25k now.

Fools and their money are easily parted.
Old 12-24-11, 05:35 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Buick LaCrosse. It's more or less the same thing.
Except uglier and way less cool.