Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Article-Acura takes dead aim... at mediocrity

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 01:34 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

^Wow that aged horribly!!.......This is a few months old but shows how much Acura is really going downhill fast. This is supposed to be their flagship?.... I wish them the best of luck as I am one of the few who like ZDX (only in black). My neighbor has a black pre-facelift TL Sh-AWD with stock gold wheels that's actually quite nice on the eyes but I am afraid of the way they're running things now.

http://youtu.be/VA4p7N5Emj4
Old 12-20-11, 03:05 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Isn't this basically tacit admission that the "new NSX" is going to be terrible?
Old 12-20-11, 05:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article says everything I want to say. Really feel bad for Acura.
Old 12-20-11, 06:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 12-20-11, 08:25 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
What I think of Acura in the US today:

TSX: Never was ugly, but the base engine needs a tune as the current car is not exactly a featherweight. Available V6 makes it nose-heavy and is probably too much engine for this platform. Also, the wagon doesn't get a V6. Rest of the car is great, although the Nav could be more modern. 8/10

TL: The debut in 2009 really turned buyers off, but the TL finally escaped ugly with the 2012 facelift. Like the TSX, a great car and actually a very competitive sports sedan despite the base model being FWD. Journos usually rave about the SH-AWD 3.7, but that one costs. Very good interior except the nav is a little old-school. 8/10

RL: Powertrain and body styling are hopelessly out of date. The cabin is undersized to compete with the Euros. I don't think Honda absolutely needs to put a V8 in the Legend/RL, but the powertrain needs to be at least innovative and more fuel-efficient to attract luxury buyers. Needs a new body. 3/10

MDX: Despite its aging design, the MDX still manages to look decent and have good tech features and a rich cabin. Powertrain is adequate, although Honda really needs to put more cogs in the gearboxes to improve city pick-up and hwy fuel economy. 7/10

RDX: This smaller model has aged well. Features and interior quality are excellent as usual with Acura, but turbo engine is thirsty and that is a big no-no in the compact CUV segment. Facelift and more MPGs are needed to attract buyers. 6/10

ZDX: On another planet, this could have been a great flagship but it's priced too high, the powertrain doesn't provide competitive performance, and the cabin is too impractical to compete with the more desirable BMW X6 (rear seat is hopeless). Features and interior quality are great as usual with Acura, but the concept was executed poorly and the car only manages to look good--nothing else. 5/10

I think Acura has improved from 2009, but still needs work. And a worthy flagship.
I basically agree with Superchan, I think Acura is improving....and I actually find some of their products appealing.

Having driven plenty of miles in a TL, RL and MDX. I each have a friend that drive "company cars" that are Acuras, and one of my best friends have an MDX.

The TL actually is quite sporty, almost too sporty. The gas pedal is overly sensitive, almost like the car has unintended acceleration. I had to get used to it. Otherwise, the car is roomy, content relatively high, the steering is excellent, and the car has good pickup....feeling very sporty sitting when sitting behind the wheel. The car grows on me everytime I'm in it. The exterior is still too polarizing for me, but in midnight blue, it has some decent lines.

The RL isn't bad either. It's not real fast (of course), but it has good content, a sporty upscalish interior and it's not awful looking. I could see how an Acura fan would think the car is worthwhile. Again, it's not overly sporty, but it has good steering and an aggressive gas pedal...so it feels a little sportier than it actually is....which is likely fine for a lot of people. It's like an overly-sophisticated Accord, which for many, it's all they need. But for those moving into upscale brands, it's not enough....that's why sales are awful.

The MDX is a fine crossover to me. It has that same great steering, same sporty feeling, yet much more functional in terms of usable space (for those that need it). I like the MDX a lot, so much so that I could see buying a used one. Indeed, I recommended a used 2010 model to a friend. The quality of the materials feels even better than in the TL and RL, almost as if they built it better to take more abuse. I have no problem with the MDX, except the starting sales price. But in the used car market, it's a great deal (price drops relatively quickly).
----------
So, I think Ac has some decent vehicles. No, they can't compete with Lexus, Bimmers and Mercedes'....but I'd consider one next to an Infinity for sure. In that $35,000-$40,000 range, I'd definitly consider one next to an ES, and I LIKE the ES. But the ES is like a Buick done right. A loaded TL is wayyyy sportier feeling, and more polarizing on the road as well. Probably too polarizing for me, but if I liked the exterior, it would be a likely thumbs-up over a similarly-priced ES.

And I'd rather have an MDX than the RX, for the same reasons. And I actually kinda like the MDX exterior, so for me, an MDX is a no-brainer since I can likely find a better deal than on an RX.

The RL never leaves the lot.
Old 12-20-11, 10:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I miss acuras like the 95 legend, 03 tl, 05 mdx, 04 rl and 91-03/4 (can't remember) NSX. Acuras just seem a lot cheaper then cars in their price range the way they are made, even new ones, for some reason, just tend to seem of lesser quality then bmw lexus mercedes, and even infiniti, who have really stepped their game up. I always liked acuras, a lot, but its a shame to see them settling for what they have when they have a lot of potential
Old 12-22-11, 11:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Honda never likes to go big, is just their personality and preferences.

They are excellent at efficiency and ergonomics, they don't like excess or anything crazy, just the way they are. Some people appreciate that.

Not my cup of tea though, crazier the better
Old 12-23-11, 02:44 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, aside from the buck tooth that got fixed for 2012, I thought the current TL was a great looking car. I've never driven one, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun, and it has a great interior, too.
Old 12-25-11, 05:25 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The problem with Acura is that it's too much Honda for a luxury brand. Being economical doesn't make any sense if one is going to spend 40 grand or more on a premium car in the first place.
the other so called premium brands are being economical as well, just in different aspects

putting the diminutive 1 series aside, what can you get in a bmw at $40k price point? driving dynamics perhaps, but not much else: leatherette, no nav, basic audio, spartan interior

audi? for $58K, you can get an a5 cabriolet with a 211hp engine

mb? 228hp, no nav, awd system that is the envy of nobody

if acura sedans simply lost weight and ditched fwd, they could move to the front of the class. since they choose not to, they will toil in the netherworld as the author described
Old 12-26-11, 03:54 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura is getting a major overhaul, changes are on the way.

TSX likely gone, ISX incoming. Totally new flagship sedan (unconfirmed if it will still be called RL). New NSX finally.
Old 12-26-11, 08:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Guy Legend

TSX likely gone, ISX incoming. Totally new flagship sedan (unconfirmed if it will still be called RL). New NSX finally.
Major overhaul stating they have no intention of going head to head with Benz & Lexus etc is like saying "hey guys, Wu-Tang Clan is getting back together to drop a new album"

Old 12-26-11, 10:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey I love the Wu-Tang Clan!!
Old 12-26-11, 11:03 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Major overhaul stating they have no intention of going head to head with Benz & Lexus etc is like saying "hey guys, Wu-Tang Clan is getting back together to drop a new album"
Hahaha!....hilarious analogy!
Old 12-27-11, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
Hey I love the Wu-Tang Clan!!
I did too...in the early 1990s, just like Acura

Originally Posted by robloc93
Hahaha!....hilarious analogy!

Old 12-27-11, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend

TSX likely gone.
They should first at least wait long enough to see if the SH-AWD versions sell. That was one of the things that held up some TSX sales before...lack of the AWD. They also, IMO, screwed up the marketing of the nice-looking TSX Wagon (which, IMO, is far-better-looking than the Honda Crosstour), by not giving it a V6, raised-suspension, and AWD options so it could compete with the good-selling Volvo XC-70.

Quick Reply: Article-Acura takes dead aim... at mediocrity