Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caught Testing: 2012 Lexus LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 06:28 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught Testing: 2012 Lexus LX 570

Looks like it'll take some time to get used to the application of the new predator grille on an SUV.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-sho...2-lexus-lx-570

Caught Testing: 2012 Lexus LX 570 - 2012 Detroit Auto Show Preview
Lexus adds an edgy grille across its lineup—even on its large SUV.
By Nick Kurczewski / Photos by Brian Williams for Brenda Priddy & Company

Lexus is serious about getting sporty, or at least sportier looking. Our spy photographers managed to capture images of the next LX 570, a full-size body-on-frame SUV that might not exactly spring to mind when you think about nimble driving dynamics. Yet that hasn’t stopped Lexus from putting its controversial new front grille onto the nose of this bruiser of a sport ute. From these images of a snow-covered test mule, it’s clear that the new 2012 LX 570 will benefit from a much more dynamic design.

Don’t Call Me a Crossover

The current LX 570 is powered by a dohc 5.7-liter V-8, which serves up 383 bhp and 403 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm. Power gets routed to all four wheels via a smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission. The LFA supercar it’s certainly not, but the LX 570 is definitely a fine choice for hauling (or towing) lots of stuff.
Luxury continues to be the main theme of the LX 570, so we’re confident the ride will continue to be soft, and there no doubt will be a host of high-tech gadgets to keep the whole family entertained.

Old 12-19-11, 06:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited to see this, personally. It looks like the tail lights have been horizontally shortened a bit and that front end looks like it might give the LX some much needed attitude. Both should be nice improvements, I think.
Old 12-19-11, 06:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Scary!!! A crossover design on a body on frame truck. Not liking it.
Old 12-19-11, 07:07 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also very excited to see how this looks in person. I really wanna see how that front grill flows on such a large SUV!
Old 12-19-11, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
Looks like it'll take some time to get used to the application of the new predator grille on an SUV.
Its not a predator grill unless you want to offend Lexus enthusiasts. It is the new face of Lexus and should work better on SUVs. Not sure how you came to this conclusion when all we can see if tape.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm excited to see this, personally. It looks like the tail lights have been horizontally shortened a bit and that front end looks like it might give the LX some much needed attitude. Both should be nice improvements, I think.
I agree, the LX needs a jolt.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Scary!!! A crossover design on a body on frame truck. Not liking it.
Whats scary? Yellow tape?

Old 12-19-11, 07:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not a predator grill unless you want to offend Lexus enthusiasts. It is the new face of Lexus and should work better on SUVs. Not sure how you came to this conclusion when all we can see if tape.

It looks like an Acura beek on the front end. It just does not look good.
Old 12-19-11, 07:16 PM
LexFather

It looks like an Acura beek on the front end. It just does not look good.
Let us all soak this in. Somehow, the LX 570 front end which is covered in yellow tape and will follow the CT/HS/GS styling there, looks like an Acura beak?

You also somehow manage to call the new Genesis facelift good looking. So what are we looking at exactly?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6811510-post9.html

Very nice looking front end

Then you like the QX56 styling but are blasting the LX 570 which isn't even uncovered yet?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6872375-post7.html

I I like the looks

Usually one calls all things ugly when they all look ugly instead of somehow picking one out of the bunch that is actually covered. I am trying to follow the logic here.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-19-11 at 07:21 PM.

Old 12-19-11, 07:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Let us all soak this in. Somehow, the LX 570 front end which is covered in yellow tape and will follow the CT/HS/GS styling there, looks like an Acura beak?

You also somehow manage to call the new Genesis facelift good looking. So what are we looking at exactly?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6811510-post9.html
The LX front end looks too long and un-proportional. That's why I don't like it, it looks like Lexus is trying to put a crossover front end on a truck design.
Old 12-19-11, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The word I'm looking for is "FUGLY".

I have no more comment.
Old 12-19-11, 07:25 PM
LexFather

The LX front end looks too long and un-proportional. That's why I don't like it, it looks like Lexus is trying to put a crossover front end on a truck design.
If the grill is not on any Lexus crossover yet, not ONE how does it look like a crossover front end exactly? To Acura's credit the beak seems to work better on the SUVs, the MDX in particular since its aggresive and butch nature seems to better match their SUV lines.

The LX has always had a very short overhang and one of the chief reasons is it is a serious off roader that needs short overhangs for clearance. This reminds me of being told that the 4GS would have longer overhangs when in fact we found out the overhangs were shorter.

Again it is a covered front end in tape with possibly the worst angle possible. How does one jump to huge conclusions I have no earthly idea.

My personal opinion is anything could be better than the rather bland front end of the LX and I have a feeling the new face of Lexus will be aggressive and work well here. Its a big, huge, 6000 lbs SUV.

The word I'm looking for is "FUGLY".

I have no more comment.

Then there is no logic here b/c somehow the Genesis coupe front end and QX56 front end looks good (when most agree they are bad) and yet a covered up LX 570 in yellow tape is somehow "fugly".

Old 12-19-11, 08:05 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will end badly. I'm more concerned for those headlights than I am for the grill.
Old 12-19-11, 08:15 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I could make out here, I think it looks great, I'm not a fan of the D-pillar but can't really say anything until I see better pics. Overall, I think this refresh will give the LX more character. I love what Lexus is doing lately.
Old 12-19-11, 09:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the third pic above and compare it to what we have now, it's pretty obvious that the front end actually isn't going to change very much.

Old 12-19-11, 10:54 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm loving this new spindle grille
Old 12-20-11, 06:16 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

This looks great IMO... looks like IS-F style wheels...

Quick Reply: Caught Testing: 2012 Lexus LX 570