Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

-->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I agree one bad situation does not mean the car company has horrible costumer service.

When I owned my IS back in 06/07. I had a $750 voucher off the purchase of a new Lexus Vehicle. When I bought my IS I forgot to use this voucher. 3 months later I realized I forgot so I called up Lexus and they sent me a $750 check in the mail. For me Lexus NA has been great to me.

as long as they dont have to help when the dealership screws you, like my case
Old 03-15-12, 05:02 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
UCrazyKid, I feel sorry that you are in this situation.

HOWEVER,

You have never posted the dealership name so we can double check to see if this is REAL. I am not saying you made up the story or anything BUT I do NOT trust people easy before knowing the other side of the story. You mentioned that the dealership is great (beside being slow) then you should praise them for their good effort since they deserve it, don't you think so?

So, if you choose not the disclose the dealership name so the CL's detectors can verify the story then I will not believe any of these, except U R just 1 Crazy Kid.
UCrazyKid posted pictures of what has not happened on another thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7088958-post8.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7088970-post10.html
Old 04-02-12, 12:54 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't updated this in awhile. So here is an update. Still fighting with Lexus. Here are pics from my repair. The car is running better than ever now, that is the good news.

First Lexus removed and disassembled by engine before notifying me this was their plan.

New Edit: old picture hosting has stopped so I will upload the picks to CL.

They could have stored the parts a little better.
They could have stored the parts a little better.
They could have stored the parts a little better. The exhaust manifold developed the notorious separation/crack/leak about 20k miles after the rebuild. (replaced under warranty)
Lots of springs, more than 1/2 were found to be out of spec. Either short (squished) or our of round (oblong deformation). Likely culprit of the noise. Related to the Toyota wide recall of V8 valve springs do to a manufacturing robot of the springs being out of spec. New replacement springs came with same part number but different identifying marks (paint strips) on them.
Heads clean, no varnish build up, no sludge. 5W-30 Mobil 1 changed at 5,000 mi intervals.

Crank bearings were in good shape.

Thrust bearings at end of crank showing premature wear. New bearings used for the rebuild and hand fitted.
Crank is clean
Water pump was leaking and replaced with updated part number with different gasket.
New piston rings were ordered for the rebuild. Engine has oiler jets behind each piston to spray the backs to keep temperatures down and improve lubrication ala race motor design.
New Springs are in. The heads were sent out to be rebuilt by a local race engine builder, Gromm Racing Heads. Valley Plate resealed/installed. No leaks!
Spark plug tube seals look like new.
The cylinders were each honed to break the varnish build up. One cylinder was fond to not be "true" or "square" it flared out as it went down toward the crank. The honing straightened this up. A set of various size rings were ordered and each piston was hand fitted with the correct size rings to fit it's individual cylinder for perfect compression.
The reassembly was done in the Lexus Service Manager's office to make sure the environment was clean and at "room temperature". The dealer Senior Master Technician did all the work by himself. It took a long time but was done right. He had a side business where he was designing and building his own motor from scratch. A three cylinder for an extreme high milage three wheeled vehicle. AND, no valley plate leak as it was removed and reinstalled for this work with better sealant than the factory.
Camshafts showing expected wear.
Nice large water jackets for efficient cooling. All new "stretch" hardware was used to replace single use type bolts.
Almost there! New water pump, new oil pump.
Nice fitting gasket. Ready for the heads to come back from Gromm
The very complex VVTi system, Hydraulic on one side and electric/solenoid on the other. Love the Chain driven timing, never needs replacement!
A little love to the undercarriage. Newly sealed oil pan (no dings) and a new oil pump and screen/filter installed. Since this motor was built over the time of 16 weeks and no rush all the seals were allowed to cure properly. All torque correct, etc. The dealer had to order new "go, no-go" gauges for the build as the ISF motor has clearances that are 1/2 the of their other motors (tight).

Car now has 75,000 miles on it without a hiccup out of the engine. I makes better power after the rebuild and runs very smooth and quiet.
Another bonus, "lifetime" transmission fluid was flushed as well as "lifetime" coolant replaced.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 11-22-17 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Replaced pictures with dead links.
Old 04-02-12, 01:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I haven't updated this in awhile. So here is an update. Still fighting with Lexus. Here are pics from my repair. The car is running better than ever now, that is the good news.

First Lexus removed and disassembled by engine before notifying me this was their plan.

This is how they stored my parts:

Those are just a few.
damn, after seeing those pics I'm surprised they got the car running again

I would definitely do a few quick, low mile oil changes to hopefully get any contaminants outta the motor.
Old 04-02-12, 02:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Man that's insane. I would be a little concerned. I posted on my bad dealership nightmare but it was derailed by these trolls who like to ask if we are making stuff up. Im bumping my thread
Old 04-02-12, 03:12 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Man that's insane. I would be a little concerned. I posted on my bad dealership nightmare but it was derailed by these trolls who like to ask if we are making stuff up. Im bumping my thread
I Hear you, I got trolled by "GoHuskers" above. Just ignore them.

After these pics I don't think anyone is questioning my repair.
Old 04-02-12, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
damn, after seeing those pics I'm surprised they got the car running again

I would definitely do a few quick, low mile oil changes to hopefully get any contaminants outta the motor.
why? i wonder how do you think this works though :-).

there is reason customers are not allowed at the shop, people would freak out when seeing things like that or for instance here in europe we did a lot of accessory installs, and little known fact is that they usually require a lot of interior removed. It is not a big deal, but there are decades of bad mechanic prejudice against things like "if you remove the dash, it will never be the same"... well sorry guys, we remove half of the interior to install 8 parking sensors and you never notice :-)
Old 04-02-12, 08:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd be more freaked out if I saw my engine still in one piece after several months.
Old 04-02-12, 11:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No lie, If I saw my engine in pieces like that, I would be concerned too. I trust my Lexus dealership, but I don't know how I would feel about them breaking down my engine to that level and then rebuilding it again.
Old 04-03-12, 06:16 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I Hear you, I got trolled by "GoHuskers" above. Just ignore them.

After these pics I don't think anyone is questioning my repair.
UCrazyKid,

First, I am not a TROLL. I use CL for my car entertainment and as a knowledge center because I have learned from you guys much much more than I have ever read in the manual. I called you out BEFORE you posted these shots. Now, I saw these shots and I believe you. Also, I am happy to know that your car is running better than ever before.

I am in the mid 30's and have lived and learned so when people talk I listen but I MUST verify what I have heard. Trust but Verify.

Glad everything is fine with your car and I apologize (from the man's mouth) if I have caught you off guard.
Old 04-03-12, 06:31 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets stop the personal comments, if you do not want to see someones posts please avoid the thread or hit the ignore option.
Old 04-03-12, 02:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
UCrazyKid,

First, I am not a TROLL. I use CL for my car entertainment and as a knowledge center because I have learned from you guys much much more than I have ever read in the manual. I called you out BEFORE you posted these shots. Now, I saw these shots and I believe you. Also, I am happy to know that your car is running better than ever before.

I am in the mid 30's and have lived and learned so when people talk I listen but I MUST verify what I have heard. Trust but Verify.

Glad everything is fine with your car and I apologize (from the man's mouth) if I have caught you off guard.
If you trust then you dont need to verify.
Old 04-03-12, 02:14 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If you trust then you dont need to verify.
Fair enough.
Old 04-03-12, 02:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
No lie, If I saw my engine in pieces like that, I would be concerned too. I trust my Lexus dealership, but I don't know how I would feel about them breaking down my engine to that level and then rebuilding it again.
there is no other way for it to be done, it is perfectly normal, this is what mechanics train for, not changing the oil.
Old 04-03-12, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

people were tripping out on the valve spring recall. I can only imagine what I would feel like if I saw my engine in pieces like this.

Quick Reply: -->> my Lexus ISF has been in for 1 service appointment 74 days! <<---