Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

HUGE Toyota Problem.... PLEASE help...SRS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 12:49 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The symptoms and the recommended repair seems like what would happen if the car had diesel in it.
Old 12-22-11, 01:11 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
The symptoms and the recommended repair seems like what would happen if the car had diesel in it.
That's what I was thinking. It sounds like contaminated Fuel. From the symptoms the OP is experiencing, to the repairs that they are recommending.

Being an S.A. for Lexus, I helped out a guest who pumped bad fuel at a gas station. To make it short, the customer came in with the Check Engine and VSC lights. We diagnosed it assuming it might be carbon build up, but it wasn't, and got a sample of the fuel. The fuel ended up looking milky and completely different from what a normal fuel sample looked like. So we had to flush out the bad fuel from their system, added fuel cleaner additive, filled with premium gas, and that took care of it. The gas station that they pumped from ok'd the reimbursement to the customer, because other customers were experiencing symptoms from the bad fuel too. Anywho, that kind of repair would not be covered under Warranty because it was not a malfunction or defect by Lexus' part, but a failure caused by an outside source.

OP, what were the results/cause of the problem you are experiencing as told by them?

Last edited by Individual; 12-22-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by aesthetics
I know this is a Lexus forum, but since Toyota and Lexus are pretty much the same I thought i would rant here....

I bought a 2010 Camry LE from a dealership two months ago. It had about 43k miles on it and it ran smoothly. When I bought it I got an oil change the same day, detailed the car and babied it up till now, 46k-47k miles on it. The other day, I was leaving work, and I took a ramp to a freeway and all of a sudden my car started shaking vigorously. I pulled over and when I popped the hood I saw my engine was shaking like crazy, all of my lights (check engine light, maintenance required light, and traction control light was on) also my muffler was emitting something that smelled horrible which I found out later was bad to breathe. I right away took it to a dealership and they took the car in.

I got a call a day later and they said that the fee to check the car up was going to be 92 dollars, and they told me this is the work my car needed;

Fuel Injectors, Spark Plugs, Gas Additive, Drain Fuel Tank and clean out system and they told me my total bill will be $1433.03. I obviously cant afford something like that so I took it to a few friends of mine who were technicians, they installed all of those one my one and I spent a total of 600... myself replacing everything the dealer asked only to find out that my engine is bad... First off I am ******* pissed off about everything. I called the dealer and I asked them for some compensation and so far They havent really responded. Any ideas on what to do?

I really need help...
didnt they tell you it was bad fuel? Otherwise why would your friends drain the fuel tank?
Old 12-22-11, 02:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats the problem with buying used pedestrian vehicles, especially minivans. Previous owners just don't maintain them.

If the car failed compression test, just fix it up as best you can, put a for sale sign on it, and let it be someone elses headache.
Old 12-22-11, 08:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

wow....frustrating to say the least
Old 12-22-11, 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Camry's problem. You didn't p*** anyone off lately, did you? Sometimes people get back at others by putting sugar in the gas tank. That can make a real mess......and account for the symptoms you had, including having to competely clean out and refinish the inside of the gas tank. If there is evidence of that, and the warranty doesn't cover it, then your insurance might, as that would be considered a criminal action.....like having your car vandalized or stolen.

It's generally hard to get access to the filler-pipes in today's cars, though, unless you left the flap-door open for some reason. Is there any evidence that you locked it and it was pried or jimmied open?
Old 12-23-11, 02:50 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota's Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, neither of which your car has passed. Since you also bought it from the dealer, there's also a good chance it is a CPO, which extends the warranty even longer.

Have you tried taking it to another dealer? It sounds like this one is playing hard ball and trying to scam you. Report them to Toyota Corporate and try another dealer.
Old 12-23-11, 10:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Toyota's Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, neither of which your car has passed. Since you also bought it from the dealer, there's also a good chance it is a CPO, which extends the warranty even longer.

Have you tried taking it to another dealer? It sounds like this one is playing hard ball and trying to scam you. Report them to Toyota Corporate and try another dealer.
pretty sure someone put wrong gas into the tank and dealer didnt want to warranty it :-)
Old 12-23-11, 10:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance would cover it under comprehensive.