Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

HUGE Toyota Problem.... PLEASE help...SRS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 11:08 AM
aesthetics
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE Toyota Problem.... PLEASE help...SRS

I know this is a Lexus forum, but since Toyota and Lexus are pretty much the same I thought i would rant here....

I bought a 2010 Camry LE from a dealership two months ago. It had about 43k miles on it and it ran smoothly. When I bought it I got an oil change the same day, detailed the car and babied it up till now, 46k-47k miles on it. The other day, I was leaving work, and I took a ramp to a freeway and all of a sudden my car started shaking vigorously. I pulled over and when I popped the hood I saw my engine was shaking like crazy, all of my lights (check engine light, maintenance required light, and traction control light was on) also my muffler was emitting something that smelled horrible which I found out later was bad to breathe. I right away took it to a dealership and they took the car in.

I got a call a day later and they said that the fee to check the car up was going to be 92 dollars, and they told me this is the work my car needed;

Fuel Injectors, Spark Plugs, Gas Additive, Drain Fuel Tank and clean out system and they told me my total bill will be $1433.03. I obviously cant afford something like that so I took it to a few friends of mine who were technicians, they installed all of those one my one and I spent a total of 600... myself replacing everything the dealer asked only to find out that my engine is bad... First off I am ******* pissed off about everything. I called the dealer and I asked them for some compensation and so far They havent really responded. Any ideas on what to do?

I really need help...
Old 12-22-11, 11:13 AM
bronz
Driver

does your car have power train warranty...
Old 12-22-11, 11:18 AM
aesthetics
Rookie

Isnt it covered? I only have 48k miles on it... I didnt buy an extended warranty but I only have 48k miles so Im not sure...
Old 12-22-11, 11:20 AM
aesthetics
Rookie

Also my car failed the "compression test". Which apparently is very bad...
Old 12-22-11, 11:30 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

If it's a CPO under warranty they must fix . If not talk to the corporate Office of Toyota to complain about the dealership.
Old 12-22-11, 11:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would talk with Toyota corporate about this to see if they can help you out regarding this.

Also, the total bill seems to be overpricing you a bit. If you are willing to wait and to save some money, I would do this - Ask the dealership for the list of all part numbers and quanities required. With this at hand, all you need to do is to order the parts online (ie. parts.com) since you can the same part cheaper than the dealership's price. Once the parts is received, bring the parts to the dealership and they only charge you for the labor.
Old 12-22-11, 11:34 AM
aesthetics
Rookie

Thanks guys. I am on the phone with corporate right now.
Old 12-22-11, 11:41 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck....sorry to hear!
Old 12-22-11, 11:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aesthetics
Isnt it covered? I only have 48k miles on it... I didnt buy an extended warranty but I only have 48k miles so Im not sure...
http://www.toyota.com/camry/warranty.html

Take to dealer. Get free, new, engine. Drive home.
Old 12-22-11, 12:02 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my goodness!!! They are basically suppose to replace your car. I noticed your in tx, may I ask what dealer this is? Good luck with corporate. They should listen and take care of you.
Old 12-22-11, 12:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By Golly.

The car is under warranty, and the dealer has the guts to charge "diagnostic fee" ?
Old 12-22-11, 12:06 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

What's wrong with the car? Why do they need to replace the parts listed? Was it user error (diesel in the tank, or similar)?

Just sounds odd.

Still, if it needs an engine, that would be covered under warranty unless they can specifically prove that what caused the problem was your fault. You haven't given us quite enough information to say one way or the other on that point.

Good luck I guess.

(Also, despite Toyota & Lexus being somewhat similar, your car and this question are in the totally wrong place, if anything I would have suggested checking with the ES350 guys, but even that's a bit of a stretch).

Sorry to hear.

Jeff
Old 12-22-11, 12:10 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The car is under warranty, and the dealer has the guts to charge "diagnostic fee" ?
If the issue isn't caused by a warrantable issue, then they absolutely should be charging a diagnostic fee. Of course if it turns out that it is a warranty issue, of course there should be no charge. Again, we haven't got all of the information.

Why does the car need a new engine? Why did it need the parts listed? What went wrong?

No one can make a call on what happened with the limited information provided so far.

Jeff
Old 12-22-11, 12:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the engine got overheated.
Old 12-22-11, 12:45 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the car bought at a Toyota dealership? Or even a reputable dealership in general?

Quick Reply: HUGE Toyota Problem.... PLEASE help...SRS