Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Truck Time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 04:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent find looks timeless, congrats and enjoy it.
Old 12-27-11, 05:25 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
From what I've found online, that year should have a GCWR of about 12K. However, with that short of a wheelbase, it certainly won't be the best tow vehicle. Anyway, I've been revising my summer plans for this year. I know people who have cabins (or who know people who have cabins) in all the places I want to go this year, and probably next. This may be a better overall vehicle (and certainly smoother riding) for those treks.

That vehicle should more than suit your needs then. If the GCWR is 12k, then it should be able to tow about 6k, because 6k or so of that 12k is going to be the weight of the vehicle and occupants. My truck weighs 5520 empty, with no fuel and without me in it. Its GCWR is around 12 as well, since the 4.7L engines are the same size, and the LX is basically on a half-ton truck frame, one can surmise the towing capacity would be roughly the same.

Just be glad you didnt get the GX470, if you plan on towing a trailer with any height, its high center of gravity can (from what I have read here on CL) pose a problem when towing in windy situations. The LX is wider and has a little bit lower roofline, therefore is much more stable in windy conditions while towing.

Again, Congrats on the purchase! Thats my favorite generation of LX, and its a clean ride!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-27-11 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-27-11, 07:23 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Nice Choice! Does it have the ability to tow what you need?

And no love for the Ram, huh? Thats ok, I was going to say go with the Ford LOL. (not, really. I like ford, but how would that look? )
Lol its ok. I haven't. Ever recommended my car to anybody who's asked me. But then, none of them are interested. In anything that gets less than 30 mpg....
Old 12-27-11, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Well, I looked at a promising Tundra DoubleCab, but today I bought an 01 LX470. That truck has been on my bucket list for a while. Thanks for all the suggestions.

http://www.lexusofannarbor.com/Vehic...-MI/1472825693

Great pick up, I agree its one of those "bucket list" vehicles to own. They are all over overseas, a testament to the LX/LandCruiser.

Old 12-27-11, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
Seriously? No Lincoln Blackwood on your list?
Only 1000 of them, to my knowledge, were ever built. Most, if not all, are now probably in the hands of collectors. A later Lincoln Mark pickup was offered, but was not a success, and was quickly dropped.
Old 12-27-11, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, I looked at a promising Tundra DoubleCab, but today I bought an 01 LX470.
Congratulations. One of the nicest ways to go off-roading in comfort and reliability....but, of course, don't expect great gas mileage. The Range Rovers also give you the comfort/classiness, but usually not the reliability. The LX, of course, today, has the trick height-adjustable suspension that the Toyota Land Cruiser lacks, but I'm not sure if the 2001 models had that feature.
Old 12-27-11, 11:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. ... The LX, of course, today, has the trick height-adjustable suspension that the Toyota Land Cruiser lacks, but I'm not sure if the 2001 models had that feature.
Yep, it's got that - and I made sure all 4 corners worked.
Old 12-27-11, 02:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely a Ford!
Old 12-27-11, 03:13 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Definitely a Ford!
I sat in at least 10 Ford F150s, 250s, and 350s, all but one with Lariat or King Ranch leather. (It took only one time sitting on the awful fabric Ford uses in their XLT trim level to convince me that was never going to be acceptable.) Anyway, every time I sat in one of the nice leather Ford interiors, I found more cheapness in the fit, trim, switchgear, etc. I felt that nice leather in those interiors was like casting pearls before swine.

It wasn't the same with the GM products, the leather and the whole interior were rather mediocre - the leather wasn't as nice as in the Ford, but everything else was a bit nicer. I felt about the same with the Toyota Tundra Limited - except the cheap center console made the Ford console look high class.

The only truck that really pleased me was the Tundra Grade DoubleCab I saw. It had the front bench seat with a really useful front-center flip-down backrest with all kinds of storage. The cloth was upgraded and everything fit together well. It was a very pleasant and comfortable, but utilitarian, interior. The rear seat of that smallish crew cab wasn't as roomy as some, but still comfortable for adults. Plus, the truck has a 6.5' bed, instead of the short 5.5' beds on other 1500 crew cabs. I came very close to buying the Tundra instead of the LX. However, the LX had full-time
4WD, a wonderful smooth ride, great seat comfort, and a much shorter climb up.
Old 12-31-11, 11:52 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I posted some pics of the LX470 in Riverrock Green Mica in the LX470 section.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6915258-post8.html
Old 12-31-11, 01:14 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks real nice caddyowner! A true Japanese tank.
Old 12-31-11, 04:29 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice truck! Its one of my Fav Lexus Vehicles! Any plans on adding a head unit with nav? One of those can work wonders in a slightly dated interior.
Old 12-31-11, 06:06 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
I haven't thought about that yet. Maybe in the future.
Old 12-31-11, 07:55 PM
bthomas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent choice, and maybe you can post pics on here of your travels?
Any vehicle choice is going to have trade-offs. The best thing is you don't have to worry about that lease formality crap.
Old 01-01-12, 05:38 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you plan to tow, or put a lot of miles on the truck, I'd recommend a 3/4 ton. Based on some research nearly 30 years ago when I started buying Suburbans, I discovered the 1/2 ton pickups were built largely out of the passenger car parts bin - axles, bearings, transmission were built to a price, not for service. A bit more investment on the front end bought you a near-bulletproof truck. The ride? Well, on the Suburban it didn't make a whole lot of difference, probably due to the weight of the extra sheet metal. For towing, that beefed-up driveline and bigger brakes made for a much more trouble-free experience. More steel, less plastic in the going and stopping department.

Dunno if all that still applies, but twelve years ago when I came over to Lexus, it was still the same story. If you're actually going to work the vehicle, the 3/4 ton is the better investment. I still have friends and customers in several oilfield companies and one plumbing service company who agree. Based on their fleet's performance, bigger is better.

Quick Reply: Truck Time!