Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CR-V misses the mark

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 03:36 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CR-V misses the mark

More indications that a once great car company continues to fade into mediocrity.

Honda's new CR-V misses the mark

By Dan Carney
REVIEW

Cleverness. Value. Above all else: simplicity. These are the enduring virtues that have endeared Honda cars to drivers since the 1970s.

There are other cars that got good gas mileage; others with impressive durability. But none of them captured Honda’s spirit. Their commercials said it all: “Honda: we make it simple.”

Perhaps simplicity is less valued today. Perhaps it is just more challenging to deliver in a tech-centric world. Whatever the obstacles, while Honda’s new 2012 CR-V compact crossover SUV (even the description is inelegant) is a very good family car, it isn’t a special one. There is nothing about this that puts Honda’s clever stamp on it and says, “No other company could, or would, have done this.”

Instead, the CR-V is increasingly undistinguished in an increasingly competitive segment. That doesn’t make it a bad car, just a dull one.

One feature that comes the closest is the folding mechanism for the rear seats. The back seat is split 60/40 and there are release handles for each side in the rear cargo area. Pull the handle and that side’s seat folds down automatically. That includes flipping the seat bottom forward and folding down the head restraint so it doesn’t foul the back of the front seat while folding forward.

It is pretty cool to watch, and few competitors have much that compares. But a remote seat release is still just a remote seat release.

From the driver’s seat we are greeted by Honda’s current un-simple dashboard design. It’s a cataclysm of plastic materials, colors and grains, made busier by the large number of assembled pieces and the disjointed cut lines between them. Throw in swoopy, lumpy styling of the busy sort that once evoked derision of Japanese automotive exterior design and it just seems like too much.

You want to tell them to relax. Be yourselves. The problem with the dashboard, like the problem with so many Honda products in general, seems to be a desire to be all things to all people, rather than concentrating on being the absolute best at something and sticking to that.

The exterior is similarly busy and lumpy. The rear end is especially osteoporotic, with the forward hunch of a white-haired old lady. With slick styling on the brand new Ford Escape and Mazda CX-5, and with the designers are Hyundai and Kia turning out new winners at every turn, Honda can’t afford to phone in the styling. I’m reminded of a teacher’s admonition of an unmotivated student: “Is this really your best work?”

A hiccup in the climate control of our pre-production test car saw the air conditioning periodically blast us with cold air for brief intervals on cool days with bright sun.

The company promises this was an artifact of pre-production programming of the climate control system in our prototype that has been fixed in production models.

Honda inexplicably continues to eschew the automatic three-blink turn signal at a time when seemingly every other manufacturer has adopted this feature.

Another area where it looks like Honda is coasting: the CR-V has a five-speed automatic transmission. At a time when six-speeds are the norm because of the emphasis on fuel economy, Honda continues its long-standing tradition of being a gear or two short in the transmission. Even in the good old days, part of Honda’s simplicity was to leave extraneous gears out of the automatic transmission (they had two-speed automatics in the 1970s!).

Until Honda upgrades to a six-speed, the EPA city gas mileage of 22 mpg is pretty representative of what to expect. In a week of light suburban, mostly highway use, the CR-V returned a shade under 24 mpg. The (admittedly less powerful) Mazda CX-5 with all-wheel drive scores 25 mpg on the EPA’s city driving cycle.

There is plenty good to say about the CR-V. Its four-cylinder engine is smooth and powerful. The electric power steering is well calibrated, with none of the low-speed numbness that plagues most such systems.

The back seat and cargo area are capacious, which is important in a category of vehicle that serves as a minivan for many families with only a couple kids. On the road the CR-V is smooth, comfortable and its all-wheel-drive is confidence inspiring on rain-slicked roads.

In addition to the test car’s navigation screen, all CR-Vs feature another full-color LCD screen that displays information about the entertainment system and trip computer data. Here Honda has one of the first systems that supports Pandora running on smartphones, with full integrated control of the app and the display mirroring that of the phone to keep the driver’s eyes up and forward when giving a “thumbs down” to one of Pandora’s stupider song selections.

That screen also supplements the optional nav display by showing upcoming turn information when navigating a route plotted by the computer.

These attributes contribute to a solidly favorable impression of the CR-V. Consumers who take one home aren't likely to regret it. But in today’s compact crossover segment, they would be selling themselves short to automatically return to their Honda dealer without looking at the latest entries from Ford, Mazda, Hyundai and Kia, among others.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...isses-the-mark
Old 12-25-11, 04:39 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't disagree with a lot of points, but complaining about a lack of three-blink turn signals is just a little bit overboard....
Old 12-25-11, 05:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I've read a couple of reviews of the new CRV and they've been decent.

The final call will be made by the car buying public. My guess it will remain the best selling small CUV with the competion closing the gap a bit.
Old 12-25-11, 05:32 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my 2011 CR-V for a lot of the same reasons here, but my main was the road noise. I was spoiled, coming from a Camry but it was pretty bad. The new CR-V looks the same, but it's almost like Honda didnt want to go in front they just wanted to stay competitive.
Old 12-25-11, 06:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
I don't disagree with a lot of points, but complaining about a lack of three-blink turn signals is just a little bit overboard....
The three blink turn signal is just stupid, I still cant get used to it.
Old 12-26-11, 02:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the new CRV is a shade better than the above review. While it's clear Honda currently skimps on features and technology, the overall package of an efficient and solidly made sport utility remains. I'm estimating the average CRV buyers are not looking to be too wowed by gadgets and gimmicks anyway.
Old 12-26-11, 06:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to the previous "bucktooth", this new CR-V is indeed better.

In fact, I kinda disagree with the article above. There are worse Honda/Acura vehicles out there like the ZDX and Crossturd as well as the USDM 9th gen Civic.

The thing though, this new CR-V is FAR from being an inferior product.
Old 12-26-11, 06:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I sold my 2011 CR-V for a lot of the same reasons here, but my main was the road noise. I was spoiled, coming from a Camry but it was pretty bad. The new CR-V looks the same, but it's almost like Honda didnt want to go in front they just wanted to stay competitive.
The road noise is loud.I changed to a set of one size wider Michelin Primacy tires (stock size not available) which helped a bit but still quite loud.Not getting great MPG's too.A bit of a slug on the road.Peppy around town but a slug passing and pulling onto a highway.
I like the CR-V's handling, interior,seat comfort in our EXLw/NAV model.NO NAV ON THE FLY LOCKOUT!!!!
Also a solid no rattle/creak ride so far after 8K miles.
However,I really would have rather bought a loaded Outback but the wife really wanted the CR-V.She loves the CR-V.That's why the CR-V is a top seller.Woman love it.
I haven't seen a '12 yet but in pics the dash layout looks nicer.Only a 5 HP and a couple of lbs of torque gain that won't help acceleration much.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-26-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-26-11, 09:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Honda does what they always do - improve. Why would anyone expect revolution from the best seller? As this is THE best selling small ute on the market.
Old 12-26-11, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks better inside than a RaV4. How one more gear than the Rav, also more hp than the Rav with a slightly smaller engine. What's this reviewer talking crap for?
Old 12-26-11, 01:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Compared to the previous "bucktooth", this new CR-V is indeed better.

In fact, I kinda disagree with the article above. There are worse Honda/Acura vehicles out there like the ZDX and Crossturd as well as the USDM 9th gen Civic.

The thing though, this new CR-V is FAR from being an inferior product.
Well said. The writer seemed determine to pick apart this product regardless of it's current merits and improvements. Out of all the other Honda products out there, the CRV is one of the few that hasn't gone down the toilet.
Old 12-26-11, 02:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks better inside than a RaV4. How one more gear than the Rav, also more hp than the Rav with a slightly smaller engine. What's this reviewer talking crap for?
rav4 is going to be replaced next year, definitively not an benchmark anymore.
Old 12-26-11, 02:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
rav4 is going to be replaced next year, definitively not an benchmark anymore.
I'd love the Toyota/Lexus 3.5L that's available in the RAV in the wife's CR-V.
Old 12-26-11, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'd love the Toyota/Lexus 3.5L that's available in the RAV in the wife's CR-V.
I'm no advocate for a turbo4, will always choose a V6, but at the very least they should offer the turbo4 from the RDX in the CR-V just so buyers have the option of more power.
Old 12-26-11, 02:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm no advocate for a turbo4, will always choose a V6, but at the very least they should offer the turbo4 from the RDX in the CR-V just so buyers have the option of more power.
The problems would be premium gas,19/24 MPG and a bigger sticker price.
I thought the TSX 204 HP would work well but it requires premium fuel.
I don't think a Honda V6 would fit under the hood.

When I bought the CR-V for the wife,I got a great deal at just under invoice last January because a CR-V EX-L w/NAV is a tough vehicle to sell at just under $31K list.At least that's what I've been told.

Quick Reply: Honda CR-V misses the mark