Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kim Jong Il's Hearse

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The hearse is definitely not a Chaika or a Zil.
Totally agree. It's way too big to be one of those. Also, it seems to be more of an extended-sedan than a classic, wagon-bodied hearse.

It's an imperialist American product!
Not one of TODAY's American products. We haven't built a standard Lincoln (or Cadillac) that size for at least 30 years.

I suspect it got into North Korea via China. It may have even been an American embassy car in China (after diplomatic relations were established in the late 1970s) that eventually ended up with Chinese locals (or the Chinese government) after faithfully serving our embassy. From there, it may have been sold or simply given to North Korea by the Chinese - their only international trading partner.
Quite possibly. You may have a point.

BTW......where Kim (probably) is NOW, he had better have a car with a good air-conditioner.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 08:24 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not one of TODAY's American products. We haven't built a standard Lincoln (or Cadillac) that size for at least 30 years.
True.

I'm a bit of a classic Lincoln-nut and I bemoan what Lincoln has become today - a characterless mess of boring, unfocused and unappealing cars.

Call me crazy, but I honestly believe the recently caned and "outdated" Lincoln Town Car is still a better Lincoln, and moreover a more focused (in terms of target market) car than any of the other modern-day Lincolns currently available on the market.

The Lincolns from the '70s may have been kitschy and gas-hogs, but they were luxurious, had style, were comfortable and had nothing to prove.

BTW......where Kim (probably) is NOW, he had better have a car with a DAMN good air-conditioner.

They should just open the windows - it's pretty cold outside.

Some more photos from the funeral procession. I see a huge fleet of W220 Mercedes S classes in this photo. I'm not sure if those are Mercedes G classes or the Steyr-Puch versions (can't identify an MB star on the grille).

Am I seeing right? The North Korean government has money to purchase W212 Mercedes E classes while virtually 3/4 of its population are starving?

The stretch-limo looks like a W140 S class Pullmann.

Old 12-28-11, 09:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

I'm a bit of a classic Lincoln-nut and I bemoan what Lincoln has become today - a characterless mess of boring, unfocused and unappealing cars.

Call me crazy, but I honestly believe the recently caned and "outdated" Lincoln Town Car is still a better Lincoln, and moreover a more focused (in terms of target market) car than any of the other modern-day Lincolns currently available on the market.

The Lincolns from the '70s may have been kitschy and gas-hogs, but they were luxurious, had style, were comfortable and had nothing to prove.
I generally agree with you (especially in comfort and ride-smoothness), but today's latest Cadillac and Lincoln replacements do have one thing important that the big old land-barges lacked.......an AWD option for slippery roads.

The Town Car's and Cadillac Fleetwood's RWD, even with traction/stability-control and snow-tires, often didn't cut it on slippery roads, unless you used studded tires (where legal) or chains. In fact, in that thread-opening picture, I'd bet that Kim's Lincoln, out in front, had studs or chains to handle that snowy road....or was driving slow enough (on a slippery but level surface) that traction wasn't an issue, and the chains weren't needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 10:20 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Automotive News magazine says it is a 1975/76 Lincoln Continental:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...111229925/1503
Old 12-29-11, 12:24 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

]Hearse bearing his body is definately a 75 Lincoln continental Town car Limousine. No mistaking the the iconic hood ornament. For those of us old enough to remember,, this is what we had here,,

Used to love to see these cars when I was little, even tho I am only a couple of years older than the car. Always fascinated me how the headlight covers would pop into place from the bottom/up instead of from the top/down.

Last edited by trukn1; 12-29-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 09:54 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/korean-dictato...191101625.html

Could it be interpreted as a good sign?
Old 12-30-11, 10:09 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I generally agree with you (especially in comfort and ride-smoothness), but today's latest Cadillac and Lincoln replacements do have one thing important that the big old land-barges lacked.......an AWD option for slippery roads.
An AWD option is always beneficial, but even this won't make me shop for a Lincoln. I can simply get better competitor cars that perhaps cost a bit more, but are worth it.

In my opinion the biggest problem Lincoln has is a lack of focus. They are offering the market a bunch of sedans and crossovers and SUVs - that's it. No convertibles, no performance/sports cars, no grand tourers and so forth. They've remained behind on offerings while the competition creates new niches, brings new models unto the market on an almost "monthly basis".

Lincoln is simply so far behind I don't think they can recover even if they tried. It's quite sad.

The Town Car's and Cadillac Fleetwood's RWD, even with traction/stability-control and snow-tires, often didn't cut it on slippery roads, unless you used studded tires (where legal) or chains. In fact, in that thread-opening picture, I'd bet that Kim's Lincoln, out in front, had studs or chains to handle that snowy road....or was driving slow enough (on a slippery but level surface) that traction wasn't an issue, and the chains weren't needed.
I agree that their handling qualities in winter and wet environments left much to be desired, but at the same time these cars were generally driven in a relaxed and elegant manner so great handling and traction wasn't an issue.

These days, with everyone clamoring for more sport and handling in cars, it might be. But still, as we recently read, these cars are still popular with senior citizens who drive them the way they were supposed to be driven - slow and gracefully.

And still, I find an old Lincoln Town Car (even from the '80s) a much more appealing car than any Lincoln currently offered on the market. How illogical is that?
Old 12-30-11, 05:40 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found 1976 Lincoln Continental, 'official' Ford photos... (to the right)

Old 12-30-11, 05:56 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like we got the last laugh then hahaha. And yes the N.K. Gov bough at least 6 Benz limos while 3/4 of the country starves, they also spent twice the price of those benzes on weapons technology... Still while their people starve. Don't forget people kim's favorite alcoholic beverage was Jack Daniels, which he spent enormous amounts of money to be imported to his palace... For someone who hates America so much he certainly likes the things we've made.