Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Toyota Camry Excels in Consumer Reports’ Tests, VW Passat Not So Much

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously...good news for the Camry and we continue to rip it here? Historically past Toyota quality has been an accurate indicator of the new models and they seem to have gotten past the recent quality issues.
Well, I'm not necessarily ripping it. If you remember, I gave the new one I reviewed XLE V6) quite good comments, though I wasn't impressed with the new door/sheet-metal solidness. But, no matter how good or bad previous Camrys have been in reliability, this new one, IMO, is still going to have to earn its reliability-rating....and only time (and sales) can do that.

Take the new Buick Verano, for instance....an all-new FWD compact I am VERY impressed with. It's getting some glowing reports from press-reviews (notwithstanding its few admitted faults), and I myself was virtually enamored with it in a static, showroom-review. But, nevertheless, I still have some misgivings about GM reliability (though Buick, in that department, has not been as bad as some of the other GM brands). I wouldn't buy one of the brand-new ones in the first couple of months of production.

Altima wishes it was as mediocre as the Camry
The Altima, while admittedly not equalling Camry or Accord in sales, has, nevertheless, gotten very popular. A lady-friend of mine just bought one (she decided on an Altima after we had discussed a number of possible new vehicles for her).
Old 12-31-11, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Either car when bought, congratulations on achieving mediocrity
One person's "mediocrity" is another's silk-purse. Look at Camry sales, for instance....it's certainly hard to argue with those numbers.
Old 12-31-11, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagree. Paul (bitkahuna) is correct. It DOESN'T make sense. The new Camry is substantially different from the old one, in many ways. CR itself, several years ago, said they would stop giving automatic recommendations to new or redesigned models based on past reliability.
no they did not... there is no other way to give reliability recommendations for new cars.

they said they will stop giving recommendations automatically for all of the same brand models, but rather focus on car itself... meaning old Camry V6 got more complaints, hence new one is not automatically recommended.

there is no other way, and actually CR has really good history with recommendations.

I think CR has very very good way of rating cars overall, that really does apply to general public a lot more than other magazines like Motortrend and Car and Driver.

However that doesnt mean that we should all drive same cars and that all of us should have same priorities when buying cars.

As to the sound comment, it was overstressed in the carscoop article, actual CR article (i watched video), said slightly worse interior noise.
Old 12-31-11, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
no they did not... there is no other way to give reliability recommendations for new cars.

they said they will stop giving recommendations automatically for all of the same brand models, but rather focus on car itself... meaning old Camry V6 got more complaints, hence new one is not automatically recommended.

there is no other way, and actually CR has really good history with recommendations.

I think CR has very very good way of rating cars overall, that really does apply to general public a lot more than other magazines like Motortrend and Car and Driver.
Don't get me wrong. I regularly read CR myself, and have a great deal of respect for them (more, in fact, than I do for J.D. Power). I depend on CR for much of my own research into auto reliability....though I cross- check a few other sources as well. CR does make errors, though, or gives premature/incomplete info once in a while........as with the 2006 Camry......and, many years ago (though you may or may not remember it), when the reliability and defect-level of many Chrysler products worsened drastically in just a few years, from 1966 to 1969-70.
Old 12-31-11, 10:37 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One person's "mediocrity" is another's silk-purse. Look at Camry sales, for instance....it's certainly hard to argue with those numbers.
I think the new Camry looks *****in, pics made it look plain but I dislike owning a car that so many people own, my buddys Camry is nice but both his neighbors bought one in the same color
Old 12-31-11, 10:44 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I think the new Camry looks *****in, pics made it look plain but I dislike owning a car that so many people own, my buddys Camry is nice but both his neighbors bought one in the same color
Well being popular doesn't automatically make mediocre does it? It just means it excels at what its target demographics ask for.
Old 12-31-11, 02:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously...good news for the Camry and we continue to rip it here?
didn't see anyone rip it. the new camry is ugly but it's still seems like a good step up from the last one.

Historically past Toyota quality has been an accurate indicator of the new models
except when it isn't, like:

... recent quality issues.
but those issues were mostly completely overblown, and with gasoline thrown on the fire by govt to help bankrupt gm come back.

Totally agree, Paul. And, if you remember several years ago, that is EXACTLY what got CR in trouble with the 2006-redesign of the Camry, and its transmission problems. They recommended it based on the generally good reliability of previous models.....and the 2006 model just didn't stack up.

They said that they would stop doing that (recommending new or redesigned models based on reliability of past ones).
thank you my friend! CR's "ratings" based on consumers' feedback are useful, although the sample set is obviously tiny for MANY models (how many rolls royce owners read CR and get polled? ). but making recommendations for new models based on old, mechanically, electronically, physically vastly different vehicles is ludicrous.

Perhaps, with the Passat, CR is sticking to it no-recommendation policy without an established reliability record. Why it may not with the Camry is anybody's guess.....especially after the 2006 debacle.
because CR isn't objective on some things. can't blame them for having a soft spot for toyota, which has made the best overall quality vehicles for over a decade. to quote a politician: they're entitled to their own opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts.

In all fairness, however, the new 2012 Camry DOES seem to be better-built, overall, than the 2006 model, though it admittedly lacks some door and sheet-metal solidness.
agreed, and i would say it's likely to be highly reliable, but that remains to be seen.

No, I disagree. Paul (bitkahuna) is correct. It DOESN'T make sense. The new Camry is substantially different from the old one, in many ways. CR itself, several years ago, said they would stop giving automatic recommendations to new or redesigned models based on past reliability.

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no other way to give reliability recommendations for new cars.
exactly, which is why they shouldn't without a huge caveat/disclaimer.
Old 12-31-11, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

on a related note, i saw a new white camry LE (that's the base or near base model, right?). i haven't seen washing machines with less exterior styling.
Old 12-31-11, 10:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Good win for the Camry. The TDI's 51mpg highway is quite amazing for a midsize sedan though.
This is directed to everyone:

The TDI gets 30 in the city and 40 on the highway. CR's "51" is one of those fantasy numbers that's written in fine print on the sticker for optimal conditions that no one ever achieves. CR is the ONLY auto publication to use these unrealistic measuring methods, confusing and misleading readers since the beginning. Do no take their mileage numbers at face value. If you do, you'll have to say the Passat TDI gets 20 mpg's on the highway, because that's the other end of the spectrum, which suddenly brings reality back in.

The EPA averages on the sticker is what 99% of what people go by, and that's 30/40 for the Passat TDI. Good numbers for a diesel, but the Toyota hybrid numbers are better.
Old 01-01-12, 02:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't see anyone rip it. the new camry is ugly but it's still seems like a good step up from the last one.

except when it isn't, like:

but those issues were mostly completely overblown, and with gasoline thrown on the fire by govt to help bankrupt gm come back.

thank you my friend! CR's "ratings" based on consumers' feedback are useful, although the sample set is obviously tiny for MANY models (how many rolls royce owners read CR and get polled? ). but making recommendations for new models based on old, mechanically, electronically, physically vastly different vehicles is ludicrous.

because CR isn't objective on some things. can't blame them for having a soft spot for toyota, which has made the best overall quality vehicles for over a decade. to quote a politician: they're entitled to their own opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts.

agreed, and i would say it's likely to be highly reliable, but that remains to be seen.

exactly, which is why they shouldn't without a huge caveat/disclaimer.
once again, statistically, CR is right.

You problem with it is that you would like TDI to be rated better... well sorry. Doesnt mean CR is wrong.

:-)
Old 01-01-12, 12:19 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is directed to everyone:

The TDI gets 30 in the city and 40 on the highway. CR's "51" is one of those fantasy numbers that's written in fine print on the sticker for optimal conditions that no one ever achieves. CR is the ONLY auto publication to use these unrealistic measuring methods, confusing and misleading readers since the beginning. Do no take their mileage numbers at face value. If you do, you'll have to say the Passat TDI gets 20 mpg's on the highway, because that's the other end of the spectrum, which suddenly brings reality back in.

The EPA averages on the sticker is what 99% of what people go by, and that's 30/40 for the Passat TDI. Good numbers for a diesel, but the Toyota hybrid numbers are better.
Do you know if CR obtains its fuel economy figures from real-world driving like most magazines, or from a pre-programmed dyno testing like EPA?

If they're from real-world driving then they're "real", but then of course everyone's mileage varies because everyone's "real world" is different.

If they're from dyno testings then they're fantasy numbers like you said, but no more so than the EPA numbers, although the EPA numbers, after the latest revision, have gotten quite close to real-world averages with its artificially applied constant factors to the dyno test numbers.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-01-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 12:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you know if CR obtains its fuel economy figures from real-world driving like most magazines, or from a pre-programmed dyno testing like EPA?

If they're from real-world driving then they're "real", but of course everyone's mileage varies.

If they're from dyno testings then they're fantasy numbers like you said, but no more so than the EPA numbers, although the EPA numbers have gotten quite close to real-world averages with its artificially applied constant factors to the actual test numbers.
CR quotes the EPA ratings of the cars they test. They also publish the overall mpg's achieved in their road test.
Old 01-01-12, 12:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
CR quotes the EPA ratings of the cars they test. They also publish the overall mpg's achieved in their road test.
Yeah, but my question is whether the "51mpg highway" figure of the TDI was obtained from a road test or a dyno test. From the sounds of it it seems that it's obtained from a road test, in which case there's nothing "fantasy" about it, as long as they test all the cars in the same way, although there will then be other variables such as the varying weather, road conditions, traffic and driver inputs.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-01-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 01:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yeah, but my question is whether the "51mpg highway" figure of the TDI was obtained from a road test or a dyno test. From the sounds of it it seems that it's obtained from a road test, in which case there's nothing "fantasy" about it, as long as they test all the cars in the same way, although there will then be other variables such as the varying weather, road conditions, traffic and driver inputs.
In this test it shows the TDI EPA rated at 26/51 and the Camry Hybrid EPA rated at 32/43.

In their road test the TDI got 37 mpg overall and the hybrid got 38 mpg.
Old 01-01-12, 01:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Here's what makes no sense about CR's EPA numbers. They take the low and high end of what people may obtain a few times per ownership and use that as their core numbers. This is so far-fetched and useless. That's why the EPA puts the average number on window stickers, because the average is what the majority of buyers obtain. CR's number ratings may ring true for perhaps 5-10% of the driving population. Useless.

Quick Reply: New Toyota Camry Excels in Consumer Reports’ Tests, VW Passat Not So Much