Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trade 2003 LS UL for new 2011 GS450h or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 05:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Because of the pending 4th generation GS, a local dealer has good deals on 2011 GS 450hs.

My rough math says if I trade in my 2003 LS and lease a GS for 3 years, the cost of driving for the next 3 years would be about the same. But at the end of the 3 years I would turn in the GS and have nothing, whereas if I stick with my LS, at the end of the 3 years I'd have a then 12-year-old LS. I guess insurance and license fees would go up as well. City gas milage would improve a bit with the GS.

The theory is that at the end of the 3-year lease, I could get something new like a GS F or LS F Sport or something to keep me entertained. Also, since it's a lease, I could use the GS as the daily commuter and keep the IS F safe in the garage for weekends.

GS has latest electronics, is faster and handles better.

LS is plusher, quieter and smoother ride and has more room in the back seat and trunk and is pretty nice. Everything still works perfectly on the LS.

What say you all?

Terry in Sunnyvale

Sadly, people see "OMG HYBRID" and immediately start refuting why getting a hybrid isn't a great move b/c you won't save money at the pump yadda yadda yadda when the O.P clearly stated there are other reasons he is interested in the GS 450h.

7 years later its amazing to see this continue to happen and happen here of all places.

Terry I own a GS 450h, driven the LS 430 etc....To be completely honest I would wait for the new model as I am pretty impressed with the new GS and it seems to really blend LS attributes in a GS size body. It is IMO superior to the LS 430 and current GS 450h. I love my 450h but not sure I would pay that much money for a 2011, even if its discounted. I feel the new GS 450h is significantly better to warrant a wait. I think you have the "new car itch".

There are other benefits to a hybrid. The Emissions is cleaner than any other car on the planet. I love how quiet it is since the engine cuts off often. You get 50% less NVH due to this. Its rarer to see and I think it looks great. The 2011 model has a 10 cubic foot trunk over the one I have which is 7 cubes (the new one is 13 cubes)

For small bouts around town the CT 200h is fantastic, I've reviewed it as well and at 42 MPG you will fill it up once a month since you can get around 460-500 miles to the tank if you are good. Build quality is excellent but it rides rougher and is much smaller than a LS 430, which is super luxurious and plush.

Good luck

Old 01-01-12, 09:34 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
. . . I think you have the "new car itch". . .
Nailed it! I need to be patient.

Terry in Sunnyvale

Last edited by TerrySmith; 01-01-12 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 09:59 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

So I read this maybe 10 times just to make sure if the OP mentioned anything about MPG. He didn't. It's mentioned later by Terry but it doesn't seem to be the focal point for him.

Sadly, people see "OMG HYBRID" and immediately start refuting why getting a hybrid isn't a great move b/c you won't save money at the pump yadda yadda yadda when the O.P clearly stated there are other reasons he is interested in the GS 450h.

7 years later its amazing to see this continue to happen and happen here of all places.

Terry I own a GS 450h, driven the LS 430 etc....To be completely honest I would wait for the new model as I am pretty impressed with the new GS and it seems to really blend LS attributes in a GS size body. It is IMO superior to the LS 430 and current GS 450h. I love my 450h but not sure I would pay that much money for a 2011, even if its discounted. I feel the new GS 450h is significantly better to warrant a wait. I think you have the "new car itch".

There are other benefits to a hybrid. The Emissions is cleaner than any other car on the planet. I love how quiet it is since the engine cuts off often. You get 50% less NVH due to this. Its rarer to see and I think it looks great. The 2011 model has a 10 cubic foot trunk over the one I have which is 7 cubes (the new one is 13 cubes)

For small bouts around town the CT 200h is fantastic, I've reviewed it as well and at 42 MPG you will fill it up once a month since you can get around 460-500 miles to the tank if you are good. Build quality is excellent but it rides rougher and is much smaller than a LS 430, which is super luxurious and plush.

Good luck
Thanks for the input. The highway gas milage of the GS450h does not seem any better than that of the LS430 or IS F. The city milage would (should) be better, but my commute is too short for that to be a factor. The dealer got me interested in the 2011 GS450h by pointing out that they had a few and really would price them aggressively to get them off the lot - like $9K to $10K off MSRP and it is a really nice car. At 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, I think it is the third fastest Lexus ever (after the LFA and IS F), no?

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-01-12, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

At 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, I think it is the third fastest Lexus ever (after the LFA and IS F), no?
that's correct.
Old 01-02-12, 06:12 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

The 2011 GS has an MSRP of about $64K and the dealer (Lexus of Stevens Creek) has several for around $52K to $54K. The advertised lease price for 3 years is $765/month.

I'm not sure what my 2003 LS UL is worth. It's in great shape, new timing belt, 72K miles, everything works, but has two star cracks on the windshield and several tiny paint chips (exposing primer) on the front from rocks.

My commute is short with lots of stops, very bad way to drive a car, so a lease (or old beater) would be ideal.

Not sure the gas bill would change much because of the short commute, but the hybrid might get 22 MPG for city commute verses 15 to 18 MPG city I get commuting with every car I've used on this commute.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-02-12, 12:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Sounds like its about totaled out, you should just give it to me, Ill buy you in-n-out for it.
That sounds like a good idea. I wish I would've thought of it.
Old 01-02-12, 03:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me this question is all about how your personal cash flow looks and how much you want to spend. Can't really help you with that.

If you have a solid savings rate, enough cash to weather a few bad years, cash for kids education, home and cash to spare, then you should get the 11 GS. Much nicer than driving an old LS.
Old 01-02-12, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

So I read this maybe 10 times just to make sure if the OP mentioned anything about MPG. He didn't. It's mentioned later by Terry but it doesn't seem to be the focal point for him.

since i think I was the only one who responded to Terry's comments on fuel economy perhaps your screed is aimed at me

Again I was only responding to the comment. As you point out Terry has the new car itch but economically a $700+ lease for a short commute seems pretty extravagant to me at least but if Terry can swing it more power to him!
Old 01-02-12, 11:09 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
. . . As you point out Terry has the new car itch but economically a $700+ lease for a short commute seems pretty extravagant to me at least but if Terry can swing it more power to him!
After trading in the LS, the lease would be effectively about $210/month or less which is probably in the same ball park as the monthly depreciation associated with continuing to own the LS - especially if the LS is doing the daily commute chores. A CT lease would be even cheaper. But neither the CT nor IS F are really able to carry more than one adult passenger comfortably which is also (beside commuting) an occasional need. The GS can carry more passengers.

The extravagance here is the IS F.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-02-12, 11:26 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Sounds like its about totaled out, you should just give it to me, Ill buy you in-n-out for it.
If you mean an In-N-Out Drive In Restaurant hamburger, that's a generous offer. However, I have to be on CL for at least a month before I can advertise my car for sale here.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-03-12, 12:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

After trading in the LS, the lease would be effectively about $210/month or less which is probably in the same ball park as the monthly depreciation associated with continuing to own the LS - especially if the LS is doing the daily commute chores. A CT lease would be even cheaper. But neither the CT nor IS F are really able to carry more than one adult passenger comfortably which is also (beside commuting) an occasional need. The GS can carry more passengers.

The extravagance here is the IS F.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-03-12, 06:21 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

If you mean an In-N-Out Drive In Restaurant hamburger, that's a generous offer. However, I have to be on CL for at least a month before I can advertise my car for sale here.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-03-12, 10:46 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
but as you mentioned with the gsh you own nothing after 3 years. considering pure depreciation on the car, between your ls430 vs the gsh, i am quite sure you will "lose" a lot more money in the gsh
Yep, while it's not as extravagant as paying $760 / mo for a short commute, still "It's cheaper t' keep her."

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-03-12, 10:48 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

I do, double double with cheese animal style....
. . . with fresh-cut fries and a chocolate shake, of course.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-04-12, 01:07 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Keep the LS. One of the reasons of owning a Lexus is to drive it for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. Instead of telling people you are driving a Honda with 200,000 miles you are surprising people of your 200k miles Lexus at sublime condition. But that's just my notion.

Quick Reply: Trade 2003 LS UL for new 2011 GS450h or not?