Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars With Star Potential That Fizzled Fast

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 02:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
What about that Chevy pickup/convertible thing that I can't seem to remember the name of?
LOL, the SSR. That thing was uglier than the *** end of a coon dog. I can't believe it's taken so long to discontinue the HHR as well.

EDIT: Also, my Grandma owns a Pacifica. I've only driven it once, but it seemed like a nice enough car.
Old 01-02-12, 02:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
LOL, the SSR. That thing was uglier than the *** end of a coon dog. I can't believe it's taken so long to discontinue the HHR as well.

EDIT: Also, my Grandma owns a Pacifica. I've only driven it once, but it seemed like a nice enough car.
Excessive curb weight at 4800 lbs and the '04 base price was $41,370.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...05/193483.html
Old 01-02-12, 04:51 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the M-B R class be the perfect competitor to the Chrysler Pacifica? Or is that model dead too?
Old 01-02-12, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Isn't the M-B R class be the perfect competitor to the Chrysler Pacifica? Or is that model dead too?
The R-Class shared some similar features and tech to the now defunct Pacifica, but its RWD architecture, better quality (assembly/materials), and engine options helped make it more distinct than its corporate cousin. The R-Class is still available.
Old 01-02-12, 05:38 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Pacifica was based on the Chrysler minivan platform, like the Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Aztec were based on the GM minivans.
Old 01-02-12, 05:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I think the Pacifica was based on the Chrysler minivan platform, like the Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Aztec were based on the GM minivans.
it was. Note I didn't mention chassis or platform, Just tech
Old 01-02-12, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If my memory is correct, the first SSR off the assembly-line (as is customary) went to the Chevy museum. The second one went to Tom Cruise...apparantly he didn't think it was ugly.

The HHR is very popular here in the D.C. area where I live. But then, again, here in this enormously car/sales-rich area (which has both a lot more money and new car-sales than most areas of the country)....EVERYTHING sells. And, yes, it shows in the traffic-congestion level.....almost as bad as that of Los Angeles.
Old 01-02-12, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The R-Class shared some similar features and tech to the now defunct Pacifica, but its RWD architecture, better quality (assembly/materials), and engine options helped make it more distinct than its corporate cousin. The R-Class is still available.

I talked to both the Mercedes and Chrysler people about that at the D.C. auto show a few years ago, before the Pacifica was discontinued. I thought, at first, like some other people, that the Pacifica and R-Class were corporate-related off the same platform, since M-B owned Chrysler at the time. It was easy to make the comparison...both were about the same exterior/interior size and used similiar 2+2+2 seating. But reps of both companies assured me that was not the case, though I had, and still have some doubts they were being honest. There are, IMO, just too many con-incidences between the two of them to have originated from two completely different platforms. Yes, those reps could just possibly be right....but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 01-02-12, 09:47 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the SSR was pretty cool looking, but it was heavy, slow, was RWD only, and had a nearly useless bed.
Old 01-02-12, 10:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Shame about the q45, honestly one of my favorite cars, one of the few where i liked every generation (cars like the gs and s class come to mind} Another car i really liked was the 2003 m45, infiniti had nic cars, but they never really took off until the g model i guess. Also, where i am the tundra does quit well, but most are fully loaded and not really used by those who need pickups, and those who do tend to be higher up in the construction business and don't put their trucks through the same abuse as their workers.
Old 01-02-12, 11:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The SSR was probably THE outstanding "drive-in cruiser" of the past 30 years. Retro styling, drop top, cool bed, all it needed was some authority under the hood. Like the Plymouth Prowler, the SSR was all show and no go. Nice interpretation of late '50's customs, but without the soul of the hot rods they referenced.
Old 01-03-12, 09:05 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think being mentioned on this list is necessarily a bad thing... I like the manufacturer to take a chance or two, even if they come up with less than desirable product.
Old 01-03-12, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the SSR was pretty cool looking, but it was heavy, slow, was RWD only, and had a nearly useless bed.
That's because it was done on a Chevy body-on-frame truck platform, not a lighter unibody.
Old 01-03-12, 09:56 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What about the Lexus HS flop?
Unlike the cars that made the list, I don't think anyone considered the HS to ever have star potential. It just did not stand out in any single way.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-03-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Whatev's, I call it like I see it. Jab or no jab, the HS was a flop.
Did you really say that? B/C its not exactly a secret the HS flopped and its the internet whipping boy for people that hate how successful Lexus is. Its the car they get to pick on b/c it makes them feel good. Lets not forget it sells very well in Japan but it stinks here.

You are also way of course again b/c the HS was never going to be a "STAR" anyway. It was a niche vehicle and when it debuted it did not say "Star". The Thunderbird and Q45 were better picks here. The Crosstour was a terrible choice for this list b/c anyone with a working brain knew that wasn't a "Star" at all and shouldn't be on the list.

However sadly its becoming harder and harder to find posts more like from a poster like "motohide".