Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My review of a 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Build-quality cheapening occurred in several Lexus products after about 2005, not just in the LS. The biggest letdown, I thought, was the ES350 compared to the 330 before it. Some improvements were made, however, to the ES for 2010 (without a total redesign) , and it has gained some of that quality and fit/finish back.
completely agree, 2005-2010 has been a dark period for lexus, but hopefully things are coming around. the CT interior is terrific, even if the car is small, funky and slow, and the 4GS looks to be stepped up in a bunch of ways, although still horrible wheel fitment. hopefully the new LS, IS, ES, RX blow us all away!
Old 01-03-12, 10:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
completely agree, 2005-2010 has been a dark period for lexus, but hopefully things are coming around. the CT interior is terrific, even if the car is small, funky and slow, and the 4GS looks to be stepped up in a bunch of ways,
Yes Toyota realized their failure and they are fixing it.

although still horrible wheel fitment.
Wheel fitment is getting better with every generations, it will get there someday, give it 10 more years.

hopefully the new LS, IS, ES, RX blow us all away!
I sure hope so. I got worry from the disappointment of 05'-10', there is nothing else to buy! I don't want to downgrade to an Acura or Infiniti, Hyundai is close but not there yet. Euros are REALLY good now but I am still afraid to cross over to the dark sides, their electronics, although is hugely improved, is still not up to the Asian standard yet. Anyway I look at it, Lexus is still the sweet spot for me. From the looks of it though, Lexus is turning around.
Old 01-03-12, 11:01 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

An analogy I have for the Equus is:

Equus is like Walmart and LS460, S550, 750i are like Neiman Marcus and Sax Fifth Avenue.

Where Walmart got everything those highend stores got, clothes, shoes, furnitures, TVs, Stereos.........etc. But everything in Walmart is lower grade and lower quality for a cheaper price.

There is nothing wrong with Walmart, I shop there and I love it. It got everything me or anyone ever need. But don't expect anything fancy or high grade.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-03-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 11:09 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Also I am comparing my 05' 90k miles LS430 to a brand new zero miles Equus, and the LS430 still feels superior in everyways.

Try to compare the Equus when it is 7 years old with 90k miles, then you will REALLY see the quality differences.
Old 01-03-12, 11:17 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Several? From my observations, it applied to the entire line of Scion/Toyota/Lexus products, every single models from the Scion Xd to the LS600hL. Something happened within TMC that they decided to go cheap for the 06'+ model generation. I think Toyota just got arrogant by their huge success, they got relaxed, they feel they don't have to do as good anymore. That happens to everyone, MB's lowest point was from 1999-2006.

Well maybe except the LFA, but I don't really count that. There is no previous generation LFA to reference to either.

Yes the 06' ES330 is the best ES made so far.
With Lexus specifically by 2006 they probably thought the brand was recognized enough that it didn't matter if the products weren't as good relative to their competition as they were in the past. Huge mistake that they're paying for now in sales.

1999-2006 was awful for MB. Decent looking cars but with subpar interiors (for the price) and atrocious quality.
Old 01-03-12, 12:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
With Lexus specifically by 2006 they probably thought the brand was recognized enough that it didn't matter if the products weren't as good relative to their competition as they were in the past. Huge mistake that they're paying for now in sales.
That's what I was trying to say, you put it better then I can.
Old 01-03-12, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

completely agree, 2005-2010 has been a dark period for lexus, but hopefully things are coming around. the CT interior is terrific, even if the car is small, funky and slow, and the 4GS looks to be stepped up in a bunch of ways, although still horrible wheel fitment. hopefully the new LS, IS, ES, RX blow us all away!
no kidding. i just worked on a ct a few weeks ago. the car is much better built. i need to work on a few more to tell for sure, but so far things line up much better, materials feel better, and all the clips / crawls are much better thought out and a lot tighter

Originally Posted by BNR34
An analogy I have for the Equus is:

Equus is like Walmart and LS460, S550, 750i are like Neiman Marcus and Sax Fifth Avenue.

Where Walmart got everything those highend stores got, clothes, shoes, furnitures, TVs, Stereos.........etc. But everything in Walmart is lower grade and lower quality for a cheaper price.

There is nothing wrong with Walmart, I shop there and I love it. It got everything me or anyone ever need. But don't expect anything fancy or high grade.
hahaha come on, at least Target?
Old 01-03-12, 01:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha come on, at least Target?
Hey Walmart aren't bad............ok Target then

That's the impression I got from the Equus, thrifty..........it must be Warren Buffett's new favorite car. But he only drives American brands, so maybe not.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-03-12 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 05:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

japanese probably know how to do it better, but i would not agree on the "maximized" part. there is always a way to do things better, that should always be the mentality. plus per what you say, if the ls460 is really just ls430 with some upgrades, then lexus is charging quite a bit more money for it j/k.
The 460 comes with more features and amenities, with a bigger engine and 2 more gears, all that stuff cost money. +inflation. A base LS430 was $55k, base 460 is $65k, not much more. At the high end, a 430 UL was $75k and a fully loaded 460L is $95k, but the 460L got more stuff in it that the 430 UL don't have, TV, DVD player, lazy boy........to name a few.

your review is similar to what i see on hyundai on their luxury line. people don't believe but i keep on saying it's good value for the car, but the fit and finish (and material quality) is what keeping it from the real major league.
It is cheaper, but not a good value.
Old 01-03-12, 05:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I agree with you on the stance and (to me) it does have some presence.

I didn't get enough time to exam the car when it was the OC autoshow, but the feel of the thin leather was a turn off for me

Kudos to hyundai at least for having a V8 flagship, unlike the other 2 Japanese carmakers.
Stance is great, I think the presence is great too. Base on pure looks itself, I love how it looks. To me, it looks cooler then the LS460L.

The leather didn't feel thin to me and the quality looks ok. But I have been reading on long term test car that the leather don't age well at all.
Old 01-03-12, 05:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I actually didn't get as long or varied of a test-drive in the Equus I reviewed as I would have liked...but I did get enough for a basic review. Your test-drive may (?) have been longer than mine.
I drove it for 30 minutes, is long enough for me to feel the car.

The LS460, like most new/redesigned vehicles these days, has lower-profile tires and slightly stiffer underpinnings than the LS430 it replaced. Thay usually translates into a firmer fide.....as with the 460.
Depends on which wheel/tire package you compare. The biggest from each generation actually have the same profile tires, 245/45/18 on the 430 and 245/45/19 on the 460.

Perhaps to the fit-finish of the older (and, IMO, superior) pre-2006 ES330. The Equus fit/finish, IMO, except for possibly the paint-job, is superior to the newer ES350 models.
Maybe somewhere between a ES350 and GS460. I just think Lexus in general looks pretty high quality. Where the Equus got a low quality feel to it thru out.

Exterior, I'd have to agree with you...the Lexus paint job is better. But I didn't see that as the case inside. The Equus is every bit as plush as the LS460. The LS460, though, was slightly quieter on the road.....it has a reputation, of course, for being one of the quietest cars on the road.
I disagreed on the plush, the interior quality is no where near a fully loaded LS460. The seat cushion of the Equus is hard and not enough support. In general the seats just don't feel that great, is not bad, but not great like in a LS. It feels like the seats in the ES350. I found the Equus to be very quiet though, one of the few things that I found on the Equus that is superior to my LS430 is the double laminated windshield. My LS430 UL only got double laminated glass on the side windows, making the windshield the only source of wind noise, which the Equus don't have.

Look at the acres of real wood-trim in the Equus interior. It is hard, IMO, to call it low-rent.
The wood coverage is good. But the appearance and feels of the wood panels are low grade. Again, it got it, but is low grade / low quality.

Traditional luxury-car buyers like (and want) a soft, floating ride. As more and more so-called "luxury" cars these days are discontinued or become sport-sedans in reality, that true "luxury" soft ride is getting harder and harder to find. In my experience, it is now almost extinct.
Yes people love it soft, but no one want it floaty. My UL 430 got air suspension that is just as soft as the Equus, but it doesn't float. The same with just about all full size luxury car, they are all very soft in soft mode, but none of them float.

In general, I agree, although, overall, I think you downrate the Equus a little too much in comparison to the LS and S-Class.
I guess everyone's point of view is a little different.

Thanks for your input......overall, a good review.
Thanks, I try to post when I got something to share.
Old 01-03-12, 07:31 PM
LexFather

There is so to dispute in here its not even worth refuting. T

bit, again the Equus is not better than anything, its just cheaper and comes across as something from 5-10 years ago. When the LS debuted the Germans ran back to the drawing boards and the bar was raised. That it was cheaper was icing on the cake.

When the Equus is BETTER and Cheaper then it will something.

Old 01-03-12, 10:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When the LS debuted the Germans ran back to the drawing boards and the bar was raised. That it was cheaper was icing on the cake.
true that, and it was 23 years ago! mb and bmw don't worry much about the ls now. hopefully that will change with next ls!

When the Equus is BETTER and Cheaper then it will something.
agreed.
Old 01-03-12, 11:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Good report on an important car. Things like the Equus help improve things from Lexus. It's all good in the longrun.
Old 01-04-12, 12:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

true that, and it was 23 years ago! mb and bmw don't worry much about the ls now. hopefully that will change with next ls!

agreed.
they dont? next thing we will hear they dont care about RX either... thats while they pile on those incentives in the race for #1 spot - the dont care... hah.

Quick Reply: My review of a 2011 Hyundai Equus