Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My review of a 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 05:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
bmw was never bad but they were never "good" either.
Yes they were never really great, they just never had a major failure like the W220.

Originally Posted by rominl
to me problem with bangle is he designed cars for the future (which he also commented as well). he designed a car for 7-8 yrs later. just look at the 7 series. when the car came out most people were like wtf. but look at it now, LS, S all try to learn and take the good stuff from it. now the 7 looks "normal". so yes, he really designed something for the future
I heard that before and I agreed completely. The Bangle cars are starting to look good now that we are in the future.
Old 01-05-12, 05:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Then you read selectively. I've been very vocal about how well they have done
Maybe I have. I too think Hyundai have done really well in a very short period of time.
Old 01-05-12, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

I heard that before and I agreed completely. The Bangle cars are starting to look good now that we are in the future.
Not IMO. I thought that the BMW just just preceeded the Bangle-models were some of the best-looking (and best-built) BMWs ever done. The Bangle-designed sedans/coupes that replaced them (more so than the SUVs) were ugly then, are ugly now, and, IMO, will still be ugly 10 years from now. They also (noticeably) lost some build-solidness from the pre-Bangle years.

(OK...perhaps I overdid the term "ugly".....maybe I should have used the term "unattractive" instead")

However, with bangle, BMW DID keep its superb chassis/suspension engineering and ultra-tactile steering/road-feel. They don't call it the Ultimate Driving Machine for nothing. It is one of the few auto-corporate-slogans that actually means what it says.
Old 01-05-12, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Prior to Bangle BMW design had stagnated majorly. He brought in a fresh direction for the brand, without which I doubt BMW would be where it is today. Lexus needs their own Bangle, and I'm not convinced slapping the spindle grill onto otherwise same old styling will achieve the same thing.
depends on who you talk to. you said he gave new direction, many say the new generations are step back (as in bmw correcting back the course)
Old 01-06-12, 12:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not IMO. I thought that the BMW just just preceeded the Bangle-models were some of the best-looking (and best-built) BMWs ever done. The Bangle-designed sedans/coupes that replaced them (more so than the SUVs) were ugly then, are ugly now, and, IMO, will still be ugly 10 years from now. They also (noticeably) lost some build-solidness from the pre-Bangle years.

(OK...perhaps I overdid the term "ugly".....maybe I should have used the term "unattractive" instead")

However, with bangle, BMW DID keep its superb chassis/suspension engineering and ultra-tactile steering/road-feel. They don't call it the Ultimate Driving Machine for nothing. It is one of the few auto-corporate-slogans that actually means what it says.
i agree completely... i look at bangle cars now, and i think to my self wtf were they thinking.
in fact new bmw's are very smooth looking without those weird lines... and pre-bangle BMWs were easily one of the best designed vehicles, ever.

enough to look at new ones to realize that bmw knows bangle was wrong.
Old 01-06-12, 12:34 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No doubt LS430 is a superb car as my dad has one and I drive it from time to time. Haven't driven the equus(I've driven genesis 4.6) though but I'm sure it's a car no company can ignore. Equus wasn't designed to be exciting as is Lexus LS models.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-06-12 at 07:08 AM. Reason: quoted post edit