Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

toyota sienna engine sludge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12 | 06:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
From my experience, I would say that there is at least some truth to this, and I use nothing but synthetics in my vehicles. We bought a ten year old Cressida, 1990, with over 110,000 miles and immediately switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Not too long afterwards, the engine began to bleed oil.(Granted I do believe Toyotas gasket material to be better now than back then). I did the same on a seven year old 1989 Nissan Sentra that had similar mileage, and the oil pan gasket leaked like crazy. From what I have read, the high detergency of synthetics cleans the "gunk", that conventional oil has built up from around the seals over time, causing the leaks.
Correct... in all actuality, the leaks were really there to start, they were just plugged up by normal sludged up engine oil... Full synthetic oil has more additives which act as cleansers, dissolving these sludge deposits...

For the OP, the best advice I would give would be to use an extended performance oil, full synthetic. After that, I wouldn't worry about it...
Old 01-05-12 | 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Hmmm....i'm considering the change.....but is the mpg increase enough to offset the cost increase of the oil?
you won't see any mpg increase. imo you don't do synthetic for mpg, you do it as 'insurance' that your engine will last longer.
Old 01-05-12 | 10:08 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I've always been told that changing from conventional to synthetic at high miles can cause leaks and what not.
My car has seen Chevron Supreme, Castrol GTX Blend, Pennzoil Platinum, and M1HM. No leaks at 260K. Seals and gaskets do shrink, crack and harden over time.
Old 01-05-12 | 10:10 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Also, if you have the room you can run a longer/bigger Ford filter such as a PH8A/FL1A/51515 or PH3600/FL400S/51516 sized one during the clean-up phases.
Old 01-05-12 | 10:41 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Has he tried to run Sea Foam in it to burn off the build up and then change oil with a synthetic? Might be a good start!
Don't use Seafoam. Do a bit of research and you find that Seafoam is made largely out of Pale Oil. The smoke that comes out of your exhaust when using the product isn't 'carbon'. It's the oil burning, and combusting oil in the cylinder head and converters is not good.

Seafoam is ineffective at best and destructive at its worst. Avoid using it.

---------------

On oil itself: perhaps 20-30 years ago, the knowledge that switching to synthetic could cause leaks was true. However, these days, you have less to worry about. I believe that if switching to a synthetic oil causes tons of leakage, it was time to replace your gaskets and seals anyway.

As for the time between oil changes: you can go 8,000-10,000 miles between oil changes if you use a good Group IV-Group V oil such as Castrol German 0W-30 (what I'm using in my MK III Supra), Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline. These, I believe, are the only Group IV-V oils that you can buy off the shelf in America right now. The rest are hydrocracked Group III oils, and are NOT true synthetics. If you are going to pay the premium for synthetic oil, at least get the actual thing in my mind.

However. To actually go 8,000-10,000 between oil changes, you MUST change the filter every 3,000-4,000 miles. This is key. Use a good filter, such as Wix, or Napagold. Walmart Supertech filters are actually a good quality filter - at least compared to Fram filters. Fram filters are trash - plain and simple.
Old 01-05-12 | 11:37 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Don't use Seafoam. Do a bit of research and you find that Seafoam is made largely out of Pale Oil. The smoke that comes out of your exhaust when using the product isn't 'carbon'. It's the oil burning, and combusting oil in the cylinder head and converters is not good.

Seafoam is ineffective at best and destructive at its worst. Avoid using it.

---------------

On oil itself: perhaps 20-30 years ago, the knowledge that switching to synthetic could cause leaks was true. However, these days, you have less to worry about. I believe that if switching to a synthetic oil causes tons of leakage, it was time to replace your gaskets and seals anyway.

As for the time between oil changes: you can go 8,000-10,000 miles between oil changes if you use a good Group IV-Group V oil such as Castrol German 0W-30 (what I'm using in my MK III Supra), Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline. These, I believe, are the only Group IV-V oils that you can buy off the shelf in America right now. The rest are hydrocracked Group III oils, and are NOT true synthetics. If you are going to pay the premium for synthetic oil, at least get the actual thing in my mind.

However. To actually go 8,000-10,000 between oil changes, you MUST change the filter every 3,000-4,000 miles. This is key. Use a good filter, such as Wix, or Napagold. Walmart Supertech filters are actually a good quality filter - at least compared to Fram filters. Fram filters are trash - plain and simple.
SeaFoam and Lucas is junk anyways - the only "carbon cleaner" worth anything is GM Top Engine Cleaner which is also sold in boat shops as Marine Motor Decarb.

GC is great stuff but for the majority of people/engines an Group III oil like Pennzoil Platinum will work fine.

Fram filters are expensive for what they are - but also Honda, Subaru and Chrysler actually come OEM with Fram-made filters, and the Nissan OEM filter is Fram-like in build. Mercedes uses a fleece filter to achieve 8-10K OCIs, the diesel engine makers like Cummins and Detroit Diesel use fine-pore filters and "venturi" filters, while Toyota soldiers on with old-school paper.