Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz 2012 C250 Coupe Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Henry....nice review.

How did you manage to get it for a whole week?

Was this a loaner-car while your 2007 was in the shop?

I hope you can actually understand what you can hear over it, because that would be more than I can say for some other Bluetooth systems. When my brother calls me over his Bluetooth, for example (a hands-off system), I sometimes have to get back to him because the voice-quality is so fuzzy and indistinct.
NO... funny you aren't the first or second one who asked if the s550 was in the shop. actually my s550 has been solid so far (knock on wood) with zero issues after about 3k miles of driving.

i won't go into details but basically i was selected by mb to test drive and talk / review about the car. that's by giving the car to me for a week to drive anywhere within the US, only need to be responsible for gas.

your brother probably has some pretty bad bluetooth setup in the car. all the cars i have had so far (ls460l, gs350, m3, s550) have very good and clear bluetooth system. pair ok and works very well. the "worst" one is m3 but that's because the car is so loud by comparison

Originally Posted by blacksc400
S550 doesn't do bad on highway, no? I only drove a S500 from LA to Vegas, and I was amazed about the gas mileage on the S. Only used a tip below half tank of gas the whole trip.
the s550 gets about 23mpg if it's on pure highway doing good speed. it's definitely not bad, but not as good as 31mpg

Originally Posted by RXSF
Great review henry, I agree with a lot of the points. Except that I think the rear window C pillar is a bit awkward...and they should have made this coupe pillarless as well.

What tires did the C come with? MB usually like to stick these contis on their cars and I am one who complains about them. When the contis are done in my C, I will go with the Michelins. They are a bit noisy and also keep getting bulges in the sides

I agree about the new interior, is a monumental step up. The rear LED lights are a nice touch as well. We already know it is possible to put them on the prefacelift C but it requires the STAR system to activate the rear fog lights correctly.

I agree that the instrument panel display is gorgeous.

Regarding the transmission, were you in C (comfort) mode? I know that after 2010, mercedes made the default transmission programming on C and you have to push the button to get it in S (sport) mode where as my 2009 remembers which mode you left it in. Unlike in Lexus models, that transmission button actually makes a huge difference. I also recently cleared my transmission ECU using some sort of secret pedal sequence and now when I stomp on the gas, it goes where as in the past, it had to think about it. I am wondering how many miles were in the car prior to you getting it? Usually the 7 speed transmission is a delight

also a random point. MB tex now gets contrast stitching which is a nice touch!
yes the car came with conti tires and they aren't the most impressive for sure. traction is just so-so and a bit loud considering they are brand new

you are right on the tranny, starting 2010 car always starts in C for fuel economy purposes, and putting it in S makes a noticeable difference. however i think it still has some trouble at 60-70mph. that's something i didn't recall on the c300 (2007) that i drove for a while

when i got the car it only had 700 miles iirc, so yes it could be that the car wasn't fully broken in yet, that's a good point
Old 01-07-12, 05:54 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does it look like the honda accord coupe from the side especially the side rear window
Old 01-07-12, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
Is it just me or does it look like the honda accord coupe from the side especially the side rear window
i can only say in person it doesn't look much like that.

a lot of people say lexus looks like other cars too
Old 02-03-12, 05:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well a few people asked me if my s550 went into the shop thus the c250 "loaner". i will let this be the answer

http://apps.facebook.com/ccoupepage/...8b2263a5467caa

the whole campaign is here

https://www.facebook.com/mercedesben...40493046046511