Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Honda Accord - Worst Seats Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 08:03 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Honda Accord - Worst Seats Ever!

I had a 2011 Accord as a loaner while my wife's 2007 Accord was getting some work done at the dealer. I had the car for about a day and even in that short time, I was surprised by how many things about it I did NOT like. That is odd because I actually find my wife's car to be very good product overall and the natural expectation was that the newer product would be even better.

* I'll start with the HORRIBLE FRONT SEATS. After just 10 minutes of driving, my back started hurting because of the extreme lumbar projection. There was simply no way to get comfortable and by the end of my 30 minute drive to work, my back was really straining and hurting. I'm absolutely baffled that Honda would design a seat like this. It is, simply put, EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

* The steering was very darty for a midsize mass market passenger car. I drive a Mazdaspeed3 and enjoy cars that offer good driving feel and linear response, but the Accord was no fun to drive. Some might call the steering responsive but I found it disconcerting for the application. Sneeze, and you'd be in the next lane. Again, I'm surprised that Honda would release a calibration like that. Such a calibration may be suitable for a sports car but I would find it hard to sign off on tuning like this for the passenger car market.

* Spongy brake pedal feel.

* Raucous engine note at higher rpms. I'm not sure if anything has changed between the 2007 and 2011 2.4L engines but the 2007 seems to be smoother overall. Could be different levels of noise isolation.

* Interior quality was good in places and poor in others. Many of the plastics appeared nice but felt hollow and cheap. My wife's car has far better quality materials.

* While interior quality wasn't the best, the design was pretty good. The exterior design, on the other hand, is a lost cause and makes absolutely no sense to me. It is just a disjointed collection of lines, surfaces and bulbous protrusions and it seems like the front 1/3, middle 1/3 and the rear 1/3 were designed by 3 separate committees, each not knowing what the other 2/3 was doing. The Crosstour version is, IMHO, the ugliest car on the road today. I think Honda needs to just go ahead and offshore their designs.

Overall, with different seats and steering calibration, I would still consider it a good car. However, the way it stands, especially with the front seats, I wouldn't even consider it for a new car purchase.

Last edited by rosskoss; 01-07-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-07-12, 08:12 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say I have a similar experience with the seats. my friend has an 08 Coupe. I drive it a few times, the seats definately dont seem great for long drives but it's not so bad for here and there commuting. Can't compare the handling as its lowered with sway bars as well. V6 does have a decent pull to it.
Old 01-07-12, 08:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Honda Accord had a long history of bad seats.. Nothing new.. Quite disappointing that even the newest models still have such a bad design.. Honda Accord seats suxs.. My parents Honda Pilot have decent seats so Honda is capable of making better seats but why do they cut cost on their most popular model??
Old 01-07-12, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The main problem with many of today's seats is an obsession, like with most of today's suspensions and tires, with making everything overly-firm....including the seat cushions. Decades ago, though you didn't get as much lateral-support in the seats as you do now, you got in and were generally comfortable because you sank down INTO the seat....especially with the big, soft bench-seats. You could ride for hours (like I did in my first big Buick) and still be fresh and comfortable. Today, in contrast, instead of IN the seat, you sit ON the seat, more or less like a park bench, with much harder cushions....and side-bolsters.
Old 01-07-12, 10:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

While the Accord's seats are not the best, I find them more supportive than my 2GS seats. In my car, my butt would hurt on drives longer than 30 minutes. Imagine sitting on a cardboard and that's the GS seats

What's funny is that Honda seats in their SPORTY CARS (S2000, Integra Type R, Civic Si, etc) are MORE COMFORTABLE than their family cars. They fit like a glove and the only reason why you'll have fatigue at the end of the day is because their suspension is stiffer, not because of the seats.
Old 01-07-12, 10:20 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SEATS are HORRIFIC. Even on the 2008/2009 models with leather the lumbar is something unbearing. Stiff steering as well.
Old 01-07-12, 11:17 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm ok with firm seats. In fact, I prefer them for the good support that they provide compared to the old 'waterbeds' in American cars from the 70s and 80s.

My parents also have a 2006 Civic and my wife's car is a 2007 Accord. Both seats are perfectly comfortable and provide good support.

The 2011 Honda front seats are a WHOLE NOTHER STORY! They are very uncomfortable and even painful have a short while because of the extreme lumbar projection. My back was just killing me even after short drives and I tried every conceivable seating position to try and alleviate the strain.

I returned the car back yesterday and did an internet search after coming back home. Look at this -

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/A...ble_seat.shtml

People are trying to return the car after buying it because they can't even sit in it! This is ridiculous!
Old 01-07-12, 01:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish I had I the F-Sport seats in my IS... You really feel like you are IN the seat. Very comfortable!

I'd never buy a newer Honda product...
Old 01-07-12, 03:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

My friend has a 09 V6 Coupe. Seats really didnt bother me, but I can definitely understand the complaints. The backrests are as straight as a board ( I guess coupe seats are different from sedan seats as the OP stated "extreme lumbar projection) and the headrest is slightly tilted forward. I admit I was probably in the car for a grand total of 30 miles and I recall saying to myself that the seats could be improved but again it really didnt bother me.

I did however appreciate the side bolstering and thought that was a pleasant surprise for an Accord.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-07-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I wish I had I the F-Sport seats in my IS... You really feel like you are IN the seat. Very comfortable!

I'd never buy a newer Honda product...
that's because of the side bolsters. The seats in the CT bolster better than a standard IS as well
Old 01-07-12, 03:28 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
that's because of the side bolsters. The seats in the CT bolster better than a standard IS as well
Yup ...

Side bolsters are almost non-existent in the standard seats ...
Old 01-07-12, 06:04 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

And whats with the head lights protruding so far out from the fender, this looks so ugly imo