Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 04:46 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
I love dual clutch type transmissions but I hate that they're killing off manuals.
Originally Posted by eggwoll
Just rowing through gears on a proper manual transmission brings a huge smile to my face.
Two quotes that I completely agree with. I pity the people that loose no sleep over the loss of manual transmissions. People are so focused on bench racing that they wouldn't care to remove themselves from the complete driving experience.

So what that the DCT is faster to 60 and around the track? How many drivers will ever take their car to the track? How many times do you race 0-60? How many times would you truly feel like you're going to get your *** handed to you because you are driving a manual F10 M5?

So the DCT is faster around the track. So what? The BMW Track Trainer car will lap faster than most of us can. Perhaps they would enjoy the car lap them around the track without any involvement? I mean, I'm grasping here, but what's the difference? You let the transmission shift for you, the stability control keeps you out of running out of talent, what's the difference if the car drives by itself?
Old 01-12-12, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DustinV
A large number of Porsches delivered to customers in this day and age are equipped with the PDK transmission. And many of these customers are into serious track racing competition. The PDK offers them several advantages.

I seriously doubt that such an experience, racing a PDK-equipped Porsche on a race track, could be described as "boring" just because the car doesn't have a manual transmission.

Besides, Porsche still offers buyers the option of a manual transmission, but serious racers and even enthusiasts are opting for the PDK.

A manual transmission "connects" you with the engine only - not the rest of the vehicle.

A manual transmission has no effect on the grip qualities of the tires, the suspension setup, the steering feedback and setup and so forth. These are other important aspects which form the basis of the entire driving experience.
I am fully aware about PDK and Porsche expecting 70% of sales to be the PDK. It is a great tranny, it is faster and more efficient. It is no manual. Notice that the GT3, GT2 etc can ONLY BE HAD WITH MANUALS even if they are slower. They also DOMINATE EVERY COMPARISON for feel.

I'm sorry but stop. A manual connects you to the car. Stop being ridiculous. A faster car is faster but you lose connection and interaction with the vehicle. Do you know what a MX-5 is so fun? its not b/c it does 0-60 in 3 seconds with a automatic. Its b/c it is slower than most cars with a sweet manual that keeps you involved with the car as you have to shift and use all available power when needed instead of just putting it in DRIVE and it doesn't matter what gear the car is in b/c it makes 600hp with 600 lbs of torque.

This is all so funny. All these years people have bashed others for not having a manual b/c they are not as involving and manuals rule and have "soul". Now that some favorite cars/brands are dropping manual the SAME RATIONAL people used for years is now used against them.

HILARIOUS.

Originally Posted by Milan
Two quotes that I completely agree with. I pity the people that loose no sleep over the loss of manual transmissions. People are so focused on bench racing that they wouldn't care to remove themselves from the complete driving experience.

So what that the DCT is faster to 60 and around the track? How many drivers will ever take their car to the track? How many times do you race 0-60? How many times would you truly feel like you're going to get your *** handed to you because you are driving a manual F10 M5?

So the DCT is faster around the track. So what? The BMW Track Trainer car will lap faster than most of us can. Perhaps they would enjoy the car lap them around the track without any involvement? I mean, I'm grasping here, but what's the difference? You let the transmission shift for you, the stability control keeps you out of running out of talent, what's the difference if the car drives by itself?
Thank you.

Old 01-13-12, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
II'm sorry but stop. A manual connects you to the car. Stop being ridiculous. A faster car is faster but you lose connection and interaction with the vehicle. Do you know what a MX-5 is so fun? its not b/c it does 0-60 in 3 seconds with a automatic. Its b/c it is slower than most cars with a sweet manual that keeps you involved with the car as you have to shift and use all available power when needed instead of just putting it in DRIVE and it doesn't matter what gear the car is in b/c it makes 600hp with 600 lbs of torque.
The Miata is fun to drive (if one can actually fit in it), not simply because it HAS a manual transmission, but because it has a GOOD manual transmission. That means an an easy-to-use/low-effort clutch, close-ratio gear-spacing, short shifter-throw, smooth clutch engagement not too high or too low off the floor, crisp positive linkage, and good durability (if you don't abuse the clutch). I have driven a number of traditional manuals (and even owned one or two) that did not have those features (ther GM X-body cars were a perfect example) and they could be a PITA to drive, especially in dense traffic.

Yes, one could argue that the base-level (5MT) Miata needs another gear for top-end cruising while keeping the other 5 speeds close for response (it can get buzzy, even in 5th gear), but of course, it was not a car designed for high-speed Interstate cruising to start with. Upmarket Miatas, of course, get the 6MT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 11:17 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i love how they put it, 6 speed manul as no-cost option. i would think the 6 speed is noticeably cheaper than the dct in terms of cost
Much, much cheaper. The cost comes from the fact that DCTs are much more complex. To put it in perspective, right now DCTs cost significantly more to produce than even torque-converter automatics - which themselves already cost much more than manual transmissions.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. What made "M" so special was the manual when everyone else offered automatics only.
Not just M, but BMW overall! BMW has stuck to their guns and continued to offer MT pretty much across their range even when market penetration suggests it may not be the best profit-making decision, and I have always praised them for sticking up for their enthusiast niche. (That's pretty much the only good thing I have left to say about them really, especially after their recent decision to go FI.) Even supposed "enthusiast" manufacturers like Ferrari have sold out and axed manual transmissions. Of course, given the Biermann quote above, I may no longer have anything to praise BMW for.

Originally Posted by rocks
The DCT has been over-engineered to handle all the torque that this car can produce. I highly doubt this manual transmission will be up to that task.
Um, it's much, much easier to make a manual transmission handle large amounts of torque than a DCT, again due to the DCT's complexity and high cost. This is why Porsche tuners usually forego PDK-equipped models in their upgrade packages, because the PDK is not nearly as over-engineered as even the OEM manual transmissions.

Originally Posted by DustinV
Besides, Porsche still offers buyers the option of a manual transmission, but serious racers and even enthusiasts are opting for the PDK.
And yet, it's pretty telling that the most-tracked Porsche model doesn't even offer a PDK.
Old 01-13-12, 11:25 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

There's nothing else that gives you the satisfying feeling provided by a true manual transmission.

Good move by BMW for sure. The more options the better. They should have had this as an option for the E60 M5 also.
Old 01-13-12, 12:10 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am fully aware about PDK and Porsche expecting 70% of sales to be the PDK. It is a great tranny, it is faster and more efficient. It is no manual. Notice that the GT3, GT2 etc can ONLY BE HAD WITH MANUALS even if they are slower. They also DOMINATE EVERY COMPARISON for feel.

I'm sorry but stop. A manual connects you to the car. Stop being ridiculous. A faster car is faster but you lose connection and interaction with the vehicle. Do you know what a MX-5 is so fun? its not b/c it does 0-60 in 3 seconds with a automatic. Its b/c it is slower than most cars with a sweet manual that keeps you involved with the car as you have to shift and use all available power when needed instead of just putting it in DRIVE and it doesn't matter what gear the car is in b/c it makes 600hp with 600 lbs of torque.

This is all so funny. All these years people have bashed others for not having a manual b/c they are not as involving and manuals rule and have "soul". Now that some favorite cars/brands are dropping manual the SAME RATIONAL people used for years is now used against them.

HILARIOUS.
QFT!!
10char
Old 01-13-12, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Much, much cheaper. The cost comes from the fact that DCTs are much more complex. To put it in perspective, right now DCTs cost significantly more to produce than even torque-converter automatics - which themselves already cost much more than manual transmissions.

Not just M, but BMW overall! BMW has stuck to their guns and continued to offer MT pretty much across their range even when market penetration suggests it may not be the best profit-making decision, and I have always praised them for sticking up for their enthusiast niche. (That's pretty much the only good thing I have left to say about them really, especially after their recent decision to go FI.) Even supposed "enthusiast" manufacturers like Ferrari have sold out and axed manual transmissions. Of course, given the Biermann quote above, I may no longer have anything to praise BMW for.

Um, it's much, much easier to make a manual transmission handle large amounts of torque than a DCT, again due to the DCT's complexity and high cost. This is why Porsche tuners usually forego PDK-equipped models in their upgrade packages, because the PDK is not nearly as over-engineered as even the OEM manual transmissions.

And yet, it's pretty telling that the most-tracked Porsche model doesn't even offer a PDK.
yup, no doubt. that's why i found it funny that they make it sound like 6mt at no cost option is a "deal"
Old 01-13-12, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
I love dual clutch type transmissions but I hate that they're killing off manuals.
They are killing off manuals for a reason:

Old 01-13-12, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ oh lord that looks horrible lol. I cringe just looking at that
Old 01-13-12, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ oh lord that looks horrible lol. I cringe just looking at that
That's the reality, though, in and around some of our large cities......La/SoCal and my own D.C region are two prime examples. Of course, not every place in the U.S. has all-to-wall traffic-jams (especially in rural Western states), but enough places do that it is one of the reasons why there has been a big drop-off in the demand for manual transmissions in recent years. Better, more-responsive / more-efficient automatics and auto-manuals, of course, have also played a significant role.
Old 01-13-12, 09:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

That's a funny picture... but c'mon, not everybody lives in the city. Plenty of people looking for a toy car would prefer stickshift because they don't drive those cars to work in rush hour every day. So that wouldn't matter.
Old 01-14-12, 06:34 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Some cars are better equipped with manuals than others. I don't know my thoughts of this car being offered in a manual.
Old 01-14-12, 06:41 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

WTF? Which highway is that? I've never seen one with that many lanes.

Btw, traffic with a manual has become second nature to me now. -__-
Old 01-14-12, 10:19 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What city is that?! I thought traffic in Dallas was bad, but that is just insane!

Old 01-14-12, 10:28 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never get a manual as my primary/daily car in SF. Too much traffic and insane hills!!! Lol

Quick Reply: 2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option