Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
What city is that?! I thought traffic in Dallas was bad, but that is just insane!

I believe that shot was taken in the L.A. area, but parts of the D.C. region can be just as bad (or worse). Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston can also be a mess.
Old 01-14-12, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you know what a MX-5 is so fun? its not b/c it does 0-60 in 3 seconds with a automatic. Its b/c it is slower than most cars with a sweet manual that keeps you involved with the car as you have to shift and use all available power when needed instead of just putting it in DRIVE and it doesn't matter what gear the car is in b/c it makes 600hp with 600 lbs of torque.
agreed completely, but of course an M5 is totally different than an MX-5 and so i think your argument is not valid for the beast that is the M5, but again, BMW has listened to their customers this time and has responded, good for them.

This is all so funny. All these years people have bashed others for not having a manual b/c they are not as involving and manuals rule and have "soul". Now that some favorite cars/brands are dropping manual the SAME RATIONAL people used for years is now used against them.
the bashing in the past was before DCTs for example, and just, well, times change. in britain when i left probably 1% or less of the cars there were auto (partly because cars were mostly so anemic that an auto back then sapped any remaining power ) but now autos are much more popular. i don't know if it's still the case though, but when i lived there, if you took a test in an auto car your license specifically restricted you to driving ONLY auto cars!
Old 01-14-12, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
WTF? Which highway is that? I've never seen one with that many lanes.

Btw, traffic with a manual has become second nature to me now. -__-
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I believe that shot was taken in the L.A. area, but parts of the D.C. region can be just as bad (or worse). Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston can also be a mess.
want to prove to me that the picture is a real one?
Old 01-15-12, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
want to prove to me that the picture is a real one?
The picture itself, of course (a Google-shot), is symbolic...it may or may not (?) be an actual photo....I can't say. But, in the D.C. area, over the years, I have been in a number of jams myself that looked just like that. The inadequate D.C.-area Interstate system, for a number of reasons, is known for miles-long backups. The L.A./SoCal system is, too, but, unlike the much more-limited D.C-area system, it generally gives drivers more options and choices to get around them.