Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option

2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option

BMW Confirms 6-Speed Manual Transmission for the 2013 M5.

Detroit, MI –

On the occasion of the North American International Auto Show, BMW confirmed today that it will offer a 6-speed manual transmission on the North American version of the upcoming 2013 BMW M5. The 6-speed manual will be available from the start of production this summer and will be offered as a no-cost alternative to the standard 7-speed M-Double Clutch Transmission (M-DCT). The manual gearbox was a popular choice for U.S. customers of the previous generation M5 and continues to be a unique offer in the segment.

Though the 6-speed gearbox has one less gear than the M-DCT transmission, the ratios have been optimized for acceleration, flexibility and fuel economy. Final drive ratio and special M differential are maintained. The new transmission is mated to a short throw shift linkage topped with a black leather backlit shift ****.

The 2013 M5 will arrive at US BMW Centers in late summer 2012. Pricing, options and specifications will be released closer to the on-sale date.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2...o-cost-option/
Old 01-09-12, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Go America!! Glad they listed and its still offered. This is the BMW ace card, the manual that others don't offer.

Old 01-09-12, 07:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I just got all sorts of excited! I pray for a speedy depreciation.
Old 01-09-12, 10:28 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Albert Biermann, head of product development at BMW M Gmbh, seems to be pissed with adding a stick shift to the F10:

"Here's the problem with the stick," Biermann tells us in a slightly annoyed tone, "only the U.S. wants it. And with the DCT, there's no question about how it will behave. With a manual, the driver is a serious question." Biermann's argument is clear: Driver's suck and the DCT is so good that a manual decreases the performance. Further – and this wasn't explicitly said but clearly implied – the amount of engineering resources that go into adapting the 560-hp sedan to accept a manual cog-swapper is significant. Biermann and his team would undoubtedly prefer to shift those funds and man hours into other endeavors, but they can't because the U.S. – M's largest market – demands it. And Biermann takes it one step further. "I don't know how long we'll be able to keep doing this, but at some point, we'll just have to say 'no'". So is the F10 the last of the manual M5s? We wouldn't be surprised.
So enjoy it because it might be the last BMW M vehicle with a stick (and there is also a chance that this F10 might be the last BMW M5 to even carry a stick)

Last edited by Blackraven; 01-09-12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Funny how back then auto was an option and now it's the other way around
Old 01-09-12, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i love how they put it, 6 speed manul as no-cost option. i would think the 6 speed is noticeably cheaper than the dct in terms of cost

Originally Posted by GFerg
I just got all sorts of excited! I pray for a speedy depreciation.
haha actually i wonder how it will play out. looking at all the e60 m5 for sale, you hardly see any 6 speed. most of them are the smg. so in some way when there is a 6mt for sale, the price stays quite strong
Old 01-10-12, 06:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Albert Biermann, head of product development at BMW M Gmbh, seems to be pissed with adding a stick shift to the F10:

So enjoy it because it might be the last BMW M vehicle with a stick (and there is also a chance that this F10 might be the last BMW M5 to even carry a stick)
If you read his quotes around it is clear all he cares about is increasing sales. I guess you can't blame him since his job would be on the line.

There is no doubt all these trick automatics make us faster but there is simply less involvement. Many people prefer a slower manual as they are more in tuned with the car. Not sure how a division like "M" could lose this memo.

Old 01-10-12, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you read his quotes around it is clear all he cares about is increasing sales. I guess you can't blame him since his job would be on the line.
i don't think that was his point. he said if they didn't have to do a manual, those resources (budget) could be spent on other things. and he's also right, most people who drive a high horse power car with a manual SUCK at it, it's jerky as hell.

There is no doubt all these trick automatics make us faster but there is simply less involvement. Many people prefer a slower manual as they are more in tuned with the car. Not sure how a division like "M" could lose this memo.
i think manual only makes sense on less powerful cars. as you wrote in the FR-S thread...
Try shifting a 600hp Dodge Viper

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-10-12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 07:08 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the F10 is too much of a boat for a manual to be fun anymore. I already kind of got that feeling with the E60 M5 6spd.
Old 01-10-12, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think that was his point. he said if they didn't have to do a manual, those resources (budget) could be spent on other things. and he's also right, most people who drive a high horse power car with a manual SUCK at it, it's jerky as hell.

i think manual only makes sense on less powerful cars. as you wrote in the FR-S thread...
and when i think about it more, indeed it could be true. especially with the f10 being FI and higher low end (low rpm) torque, it can be harder to control, compared to previous m cars. going to be fun to see how they play it out though
Old 01-10-12, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

for the time being let's take it. If they all want to drop manuals in favor of autos that's the manufacturers prerogative. But some realize there's still a market for them (consumer masses ie civics, mazda3s, fits etc..), and it just so happens that this quest for the "quickest" and "fastest" vehicles have now surpassed manuals. Hence more and more supercars are losing them. Were headed into the automated era lol
Old 01-10-12, 10:45 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The manual transmission is a hindrance to serious and competitive performance in this case. That's where he is coming from.

When you're buying a high-end performance car like the M5, you want the best of the best. The DCT is part of that technology that makes the car so special and competitive. A manual takes away that competitive advantage.

The whole process of depressing the clutch, selecting a gear and releasing the clutch takes time - even the professionals are no match to a modern-day performance-tuned automated transmission like the DCT.

"Fun" is highly subjective. I personally derive zero pleasure from driving a manual transmission. I doubt an M5 with a DCT will be a "boring experience".
Old 01-10-12, 11:49 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

The new F10 5 is huge its only 4" shorter then the E38 7
Old 01-10-12, 12:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's hope the manual they offer will perform as good as the DCT,

The last gen auto M5 outshines manual M5 by a lot.
Old 01-10-12, 12:48 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Sweet, can I get manual crank windows with that manual trans, 100k for a car and I have a transmission that peaked in the 90's

If this manual sells as well as the E60 with a manual, look for manuals to sit on showroom floors forever

Quick Reply: 2013 BMW M5 to get six-speed manual as no-cost option